• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 wsm twist and bullet weight

viav13

Private
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2010
Montcalm Co. MI
I got a GAP 300 WSM with a 1-11 twist. I originally got the gun to shoot 175 SMK, but now I'm wondering if i can put some heavier rounds through it.

Does anyone have any educated guesses on how it will handle 190 SMK or maybe the 210 SMK?

What would be the recommended twist to fire these bullets?

If anyone has any info on some of the other heavy rounds(different manufacturers); great, please post. However, Im not really looking for answers with a bunch of crazy hand load data that I don't really understand yet. You can give it for everyone elses benefit if its really necessary, but for me just a simple answer will do.

I did a little searching around and couldn't find anything specific to this subject so I figured I'd post it here.

Re: 300 wsm twist and bullet weight

V,

What length barrel do you have and what elevation do you typically shoot at?

Regardless, you can shoot heavier bullets with your rifle.

Are you asking for information on factory loaded ammunition, or how heavy a bullet you can load yourself?

-Chris

GAP built me one with a 1:11.25, 24 inches long and throated it for 190 SMK, magazine safe. I'm sure you can run heavier Amax pills, 207 grains. Quite a few people on the board do. I get excellent results with the 190 combo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cavemanmoore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">V,

What length barrel do you have and what elevation do you typically shoot at?

Regardless, you can shoot heavier bullets with your rifle.

Are you asking for information on factory loaded ammunition, or how heavy a bullet you can load yourself?

-Chris </div></div>

I got a 27.5in barrel, and shoot at about 900 ft.

I was just asking in general really. I was under the impression that you HAD to have a tighter twist to shoot heavier bullets accurately. Especially at long ranges (500+ yds).

I do have to worry about AOL of the bullet and if it can fit into a AICS magazine. Not really sure what this limits me to, but it is a consideration.

V,

I've shot everything from a 165gr to a 220gr pill through mine. No stability problems whatsoever. My twist is a bit faster (1:10) and I shoot at higher D.A. However your rifle is still capable of handling up to the 220's. In fact the Army's M24 is built specifically for the 220's with a 1:11.25 twist.

The next question is, how long a round can you put in your magazine? No personal experience as I use a factory style mag well, but this says 2.88". My loaded 220's measure 2.83, so all should fit fine.

Keep us posted on your progress,
-Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cavemanmoore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">V,

I've shot everything from a 165gr to a 220gr pill through mine. No stability problems whatsoever. My twist is a bit faster (1:10) and I shoot at higher D.A. However your rifle is still capable of handling up to the 220's. In fact the Army's M24 is built specifically for the 220's with a 1:11.25 twist.

The next question is, how long a round can you put in your magazine? No personal experience as I use a factory style mag well, but this says 2.88". My loaded 220's measure 2.83, so all should fit fine.

Keep us posted on your progress,
-Chris </div></div>

Thanks for the info. That gives me a warm fuzzy.

I can at least give it a try with some confidence. We'll see what comes out the other end.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: viav13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got a GAP 300 WSM with a 1-11 twist. I originally got the gun to shoot 175 SMK, but now I'm wondering if i can put some heavier rounds through it.</div></div>

I had GAP re-barrel (25") my .300wsm also and had a conversation with George about this very topic.... he advised me that the 1-11 twist will let me shoot up to and including 210 grainers without issue.