• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 yard .22 LR (only) buffalo silhoutte shoot

JFK52

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2008
South Central WI
My gun club; Winnequah of Lodi,Wisconsin is in the second year of offering a 300 yard .22LR (ONLY) buffalo silhoutte shoot.
I just became a member and am thinking of joining in the fun this season.
The rules are simple:
The targets can only be shot with a .22 LR (ONLY)
I believe the buffalo metal target is scaled down to represent an 800 yard regular profile.
Everybody shoots off a bench with sandbag or other rests.
I have a Winchester 52C heavy barrel with the single shot adaptor and an old school Unertil 14X scope on top. I am wondering if this set up will have enough elevation in the scope to take me out to 300 yards?

Re: 300 yard .22 LR (only) buffalo silhoutte shoot

i think i need 15 mils + to hit 300 yrds with my setup at a 50 yrd zero. i'd have to check my dope sheet though.

ultimately its going to depend on your zero. if you zero at 300 then yes.
smile.gif

I need 61moa on a 60 degree day for 300 yards with Wolf MT. Not sure what ammo you're going to use, but you'll need at least that to get there, maybe a little less, maybe more, depends on temp, pressure, and velocity.

Branden

I have not yet determined my final ammo selection. I have a few that I am going to give a try. The trigger on the 52C is very crisp and this rifle has been a safe queen for many years. Time to put some rounds down range with it. Thanks for the 61 MOA figure dust remover. Now to see if the 14X Unertil has that much elevation in it.
This is a relatively new activity at the Winnequah range and I think it will be a lot of fun and good practice time. The league meets once weekly in the evening for a few months.

If your 52 Winchester is like most of the other ones then the externally adjustable Unertl scope is an absolute breeze to customize for your application.

First - distance between front & rear blocks. It is probably 7.2" on center. If it is then the length of 1 MOA at your rear mount (or front) is .002". If your spacing is different then just multiply .000291 x (exact base spacing on centers) to get the length of 1 MOA.

The front and rear blocks are easily changed for different height blocks. Since the scope is externally adjustable then you only need to be concerned with:
- front bell hitting barrel
- acceptable ocular (rear eye piece) height for proper cheek weld.
- desired amount of adjustment from zero

If your current blocks are short of yielding 60 MOA upward travel from 50 yard zero, then just determine how much you need and get a taller rear base or shorter front base (or both) while keeping the 3 considerations in mind.

If the bases are 7.2" on centers then each click of the rear mount will be one IPHY (not MOA). IPHY = Inches Per Hundred Yards. Very close to MOA but not perfect.

So, you zero at 50 yards and either zero out the adjustment knobs or write down the number. Then start cranking on the rear mount to see where it stops for total elevation travel. For example lets say you only have 32 IPHY of up travel. You still need 28 more (plus a correction factor of 5% for the conversion from IPHY to MOA). Call it 30 more MOA needed for round numbers. If each MOA is .002" then you need a rear base that is .060" taller (or a shorter front base or combo of both).

Easy right?

Get new scope blocks here
http://www.steveearleproducts.com/scopeblocks.html

Rear blocks have standard .860" hole spacing
Front blocks have standard .562" hole spacing

Your rear block right now is probably about .175" and the front block will be based on the diameter of the barrel.

Good luck

Nick

Thank you for that information, dieselten. I was just at my gunsmith this afternoon and he mentioned that I can replace the scope block mounts with ones of different heights. Now I have a place that I can purchase them. This should solve my problem and give the 52C the reach it needs to knock over those buffalo targets.