• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

$300

Sackett

Private
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2011
Utah
If you had an SPS Tactical .308 and had $300 +/- to spend on it, what would you buy? not talking optics or anything, talking about parts for the actual rifle.

stock
barrel
action work
??

shooting steel long range mostly. might use it once or twice a year for a hunt. and shooting coyotes every once in a while too. just trying to get the most bang for my buck

Re: $300

1. Trigger and Ammo
2. Stock and Ammo
3. Get your action trued
4. Save a little more and get a barrel

Choose one of those options...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sell it, and use the extra 300 to buy a better action. </div></div>
not an option...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">$200 Hs takeoff stock
$100 Timney trigger </div></div>

i like your thinking.

i have plenty of ammo, its never enough, but i can only shoot so much at a time anyway...

$300 really isn't enough to do the barrel. Besides, there's probably nothing wrong with the barrel. I just replaced my SPS barrel with a Krieger. Now I have the benefit of higher velocities, due to the tighter chamber/throat and cleaning it never takes more than a few patches. As far as accuracy goes, I guess it shoots a little better with the Krieger. It's just hard to tell. I was shooting .2 and .3 MOA groups with the stock barrel, when I was having a good day.

Oddly enough, I didn't have a problem with the factory stock either, except that I hate the rubber feel. I'd have to say do the trigger. Don't clown around. Just dump $200 and get a Jewell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">$200 Hs takeoff stock
$100 Timney trigger</div></div>

+1

Trigger and ammo. Cant hit anything with a overly heavy trigger and you never have enough ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: winxp_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">$200 Hs takeoff stock
$100 Timney trigger</div></div>

+1 </div></div>
+2

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A training class </div></div>

This.

Just went thru the same mental puzzle:
I did what others suggested and what a difference a couple hundred dollars does.

!
$200 Hs takeoff stock
$100 Timney trigger
!

It also got me back shooting faster than waiting for the Lamborghini of rifle set ups. I'd rather be pulling the trigger that dreaming of the 'perfect rig' while saving money and not shooting.

Just my humble opinion.

+1 on all the HS stock ideas, rather than buying a trigger, since it doesn't appear that this rifle is going to be worked, adjust it back to around 2 lbs and save the other $100 for the next stock, barrel, trigger, machine work, etc... JMHO

I'd shoot it as is. Save more money to combine with the $300 you have to buy a nice used Mcmillan or Manner's stock.