• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

30'06 versus .308

jdrogue

Private
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2009
Texas
I know the Military replaced the 30'06 in the fifties with the .308. Question, if you had two new GAP Crusader rifles with the same barrel length, one in .308 the other in 30'06 would there be a huge difference in accuracy in the two rifles out to a 1000 yards? I am guessing it boils down to the rifle and the person shooting the rifle? Thanks.

Re: 30'06 versus .308

The 06 will give you a higher velocity with a higher BC bullet when compared to the .308. At 1000 yards it would let you get away with a slight wind reading mistake and still hit the 10 ring or X. Like you said though, it boils down to the shooter and not the rifle.

For 1000 yards, try one of the 6mm's, 6.5's or 7mm's, you'll smoke the.308 and 30-06 then.

Check out Montana Marine's posts he has and shoots both.

The 30-06 splits the difference between a .308 and a 300 winmag.

I'm setting one up now. If you reload the 30-06 will smoke a .308 if not they are about the same.

It depends on what you are looking to do with your rifle. Like Will said above get a necked down .308 in one of the other calibers 6, 6.5, or 7 and they will all smoke a .308. I will be building a .260 soon as well.

I'm building an 06 because I can shoot all my .30 cal bullets that I currently have and get really go velocity out of the 190's and up. I will build a .260 because I will be able to use all of the brass that has stacked up from my .308

The '06 surrenders nothing to the .308 in accuracy.* The "inherently more accurate" stuff is just another bad-info internet cowpath. When the M14 was introduced, some people (wrongly) started attributing the improved accuracy to the cartridge rather than platform it was being shot from. If you reload, you will never see a difference.

*(assuming quality ammo, equal quality firearms, yada yada...)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cowboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The '06 surrenders nothing to the .308 in accuracy.* The "inherently more accurate" stuff is just another bad-info internet cowpath. When the M14 was introduced, some people (wrongly) started attributing the improved accuracy to the cartridge rather than platform it was being shot from. If you reload, you will never see a difference.

*(assuming quality ammo, equal quality firearms, yada yada...) </div></div>

While I agree with you, I don't consider the M14 and M1 Garand to be different platforms.

I am having many of the same questions and have been looking at the COBB MCR300 30-06. Anybody have any experience with one of these

There is nothing the 308 can do that the 30-06 will not do better. This question is akin to asking which is better the 6.5x47 or the 6.5-284. They are two different cartridges of the same diameter. Given proper reloading the 30-06 will out perform the 308 any day, all day. Inherent accuracy differentials between the two is BS. One is a long action one is a short action, one uses more powder and will yield higher velocities with the same projectile.

Cheers,

Doc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While I agree with you, I don't consider the M14 and M1 Garand to be different platforms.</div></div> Fair enough, but the M14 is more accuracy friendly (as much as it pains this Garandaholic to say so).

If cost is a factor get the 308. If there is one thing that a 06 can't touch the 308 in is efficiency!

Thanks everyone for the information.
I really like this forum! I have shot handloads through my old Springfield 03-A3 many times. To be such an old rifle(made in 12 of 43) it is incredibly accurate. The Timney trigger has a 1 1/2 lb. pull. It has been glass bedded and free floated. It has a really nice Black Walnut stock on it with a high cheek piece. It also has a Harris Bipod. The scope is a Leupold 4.5 x 14 x 50. I can shoot less than 1/2 groups with it at a 100 yards on a good day. It really likes Sierra Gameking 165's and 150 Nosler ballistic tips! Its a great gun for a poor man.

Right now I am happy with my 06. It still has a way to go, but holds under an inch with the factory hunting contour. I reload for it, which I think helps a lot. It goups ok with factory hunting ammo, but does awesome with A-max handloads. The diffrences???? You can safely see some more velocity, less wind/drop than a .308. The brass is a little easier to come by. You can load the 175-220gr projectiles with far better results than a .308. Drawback...you use a more powder and get a slightly stiffer shoulder at the end of the day. The long action is a longer throw, but you can get .300wm performance with the right combo. I dont see to many guys pushing a 208 AMAX out of a .308 with the velocities an 06 can do...safely that is.

Although I am contemplating a 6.5x47L in the future.