• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing 300AAC Blackout Question

GFWTF

Private
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2012
Texas, USA
First, hello everyone,Iam new here, but new to firearms, I am a type07/SOT2 with that said I dont know everything and continue to learn. I found a rare upper but being a 300ACC is a caliber I have yet to get my hands on for play time. I have some question below is the info given me on said upper, would I beable to still use subsonic with this rifle,and would it be safe for suppressor use. Ballistically speaking I should be able to reach out a good ways with this beast, but want others input on a upper like this as it is rare.(Info from current owner correspondence)
Has a simple knurled and fluted two pc. FF tube factory shaved FSB gas port is in the carbine position. muzzle is threaded and has a A2 type 30 cal FH installed . As I said before barrel is SS 20" medium weight ,6 groove with a 1:12 twist .It was profiled from a Mc Gowen blank by Ron Williams of RMW extreme. Its a rare bird with the length and slower twist I only know of one other like it.But as I said I had it made with the sole purpose of shooting normal weight jacketed and cast bullets at normal speeds nothing subsonic suppressed. It can still handle 200 gr cast bullets easily and Im shooting those at 1700 fps using H4198. I'd rather have that than a 220 gr at 1000 fps but thats just me. With the 20" barrel your exceeding 7.62x39 ballistics and nipping at what the 30/30 can do. Function with every load I have tried has been flawless with powers ranging from 2400––4895 with bullets in the 110 through 200 gr. range, its very indifferent to nose profiles and OAL ,FN, RN, spitzers it eats them all using just cheap 20 rd thermold plastic mags.
Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated, I figure this would work perfect for pushing the envelope of the round to a limited extent, but my real worry is suppression, or subsonic although I beleive possible, I still have safety concerns,just looking for things I might not have thought of befor taking this upper. If this is in the wrong place I appologize, like I said new here and kinda learning.

Re: 300AAC Blackout Question

Decided not to do this, as the slow twist rate and length along with my love to shoot suppressed, and subsonic leaves to many things to chance. Plus the build in my opinion limits the capabilities of the round way to much. Think I will just manufacture my own, so I dont end up with something I really dont want.

Couldn't you just shoot it with the slow pills and check to see if they keyhole out at the target?

Yes, but then there is the cycleing issue to deal with, just decided to build my own upper.