• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300gr Bergers not grouping

Ishallbie O'Cullkillin

Central Coastranger
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2007
Oregon
In the Savage 110FCP HS, I'm not the only one that can't get the 300gr Bergers, seated at mag length, to group MOA at 200yds, but I'd like to try & get an idea of who IS. Sierra & Lapua 300 grainers both shot MOA without much load development, but the SMK's are hard to find, & both bullets are giving up substantial B.C. values compared to the Bergers. This being the case, I will persevere in searching for the right powder-seating depth combo, until I run out of Bergers. In the meantime, who is having success here?.... Anyone?

Re: 300gr Bergers not grouping

Partial Success in a DTA SRS

I have just started into load development with 300gr Bergers as well. With SRS the mags I am able to load the rounds out pretty much as far as I want. I went with a C.O.L. of 3.825" which by my calculations on my rifles is ~.03 off the lands. I hesitated to go longer only because I was worried I might cause issues, at it was my first time measuring seating depth.

I tested H1000 from 83gr up to 92.5gr, and saw better groupings at 200 yards with my 92 and my 92.5 charge. (92.0 is listed as max, but I was not seeing pressure signs, so I bumped up a bit) Both had 3 shot groups < 2 inches. I would not have been unhappy with that, except that the same rifle last week shooting 300gr Scenars with 104gr of H869 did a 3 shot group in ~.87" I seated the Lapua's at whatever the max depth in the books is listed at (3.7" or so I think).

I did not feel that I was shooting my best yesterday, so maybe the 92gr of H1000 with the 300gr Berger seated at 3.825" is better than I think.

Since I am rambling:
I am also not sure I like H1000 as much as H869, but I have heard a lot of good things about it so I decided to give it a try. I shoot 4 rounds per load test, 1st shot is a zeroing shot, then I shoot 3 for a grouping. If I was doing 2 shot groups I would be able to say I have <1" groups, but I always had at least 1 shot that pulled the number down. I don't normally see that in my shooting. It may have been a bad day, or maybe something else?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jmptx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Partial Success in a DTA SRS

I have just started into load development with 300gr Bergers as well. With SRS the mags I am able to load the rounds out pretty much as far as I want. I went with a C.O.L. of 3.825" which by my calculations on my rifles is ~.03 off the lands. I hesitated to go longer only because I was worried I might cause issues, at it was my first time measuring seating depth.

I tested H1000 from 83gr up to 92.5gr, and saw better groupings at 200 yards with my 92 and my 92.5 charge. (92.0 is listed as max, but I was not seeing pressure signs, so I bumped up a bit) Both had 3 shot groups < 2 inches. I would not have been unhappy with that, except that the same rifle last week shooting 300gr Scenars with 104gr of H869 did a 3 shot group in ~.87" I seated the Lapua's at whatever the max depth in the books is listed at (3.7" or so I think).

I did not feel that I was shooting my best yesterday, so maybe the 92gr of H1000 with the 300gr Berger seated at 3.825" is better than I think.

Since I am rambling:
I am also not sure I like H1000 as much as H869, but I have heard a lot of good things about it so I decided to give it a try. I shoot 4 rounds per load test, 1st shot is a zeroing shot, then I shoot 3 for a grouping. If I was doing 2 shot groups I would be able to say I have <1" groups, but I always had at least 1 shot that pulled the number down. I don't normally see that in my shooting. It may have been a bad day, or maybe something else? </div></div>

I've worked up to nearly the exact same load as yours. 92gr H1000, 300gr Berger, .030" off the lands... With Lapua brass and CCI250 Mag Primers...

I get pretty consistant .3 MOA with this load.

210yards, 3 shot group, .596" CTC.

This is out of a 110BA.

Well, maybe I won't give up on them yet. What is the twist on that barrel? Mine is 1 in 10" (and 26 Inches long)

I am making up up another batch with 92g, same seating Lapua brass and Fed. 215 primers. Maybe a different day will give some better results.

I will be happy with .5MOA, I am pretty sure I would have to quit coffee and practice a lot more to do any better than that.

It is a 1 in 9", 26".

I'm going to be working up a new load with FGMM 215's. See how those do. To my understanding they have a more consistant burn and should therefore yeild more consistant results.

I hear ya on the -coffee and +practice... I could use a little of both... lol

I had better luck with Hornady 285 BTHP match bullets in my Savage..touching the lands, and still worked fine in the factory magazine. Shot them over H1000.