• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

300GR SMK's coming apart?

Disasterpath

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2008
Ca
I went out and did some shooting at a mile with the .338 Lapua and had something interesting happen. On one of the shots the bullet impacted about 150 feet to the left and about 25 feet high of the target. At first I thought the scope went bad but I didnt have the problem for the rest of the day. I am assuming the jacket came apart or it was a defective bullet. Also, the berger 300's were having a nose slump problem and I was wondering how people can tell if they are having this problem. Has anyone had any issues with the 300gr SMK's coming apart? I am pushing them at 2850 fps running 89gr of reloader 25.

Re: 300GR SMK's coming apart?

You are able to get 2850 fps with 89 grains of Rl25? I load 91 grains of RL25 and was able to get only about 2750 fps. Never had any problem with the jacket coming off. What rifle are you shooting them out of?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Disasterpath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went out and did some shooting at a mile with the .338 Lapua and had something interesting happen. On one of the shots the bullet impacted about 150 feet to the left and about 25 feet high of the target. At first I thought the scope went bad but I didnt have the problem for the rest of the day. I am assuming the jacket came apart or it was a defective bullet. Also, the berger 300's were having a nose slump problem and I was wondering how people can tell if they are having this problem. Has anyone had any issues with the 300gr SMK's coming apart? I am pushing them at 2850 fps running 89gr of reloader 25. </div></div>

Not sure if you were shooting steel or not, but is it possible your shot grazed the corner of the target and the ricochet caused it to land 150ft left and higher?

I had the same instance once and immediately assumed it was the equipment until I saw the graze on the edge of the steel. Dunno, just a thought?

Its a surgeon xl action that I built up using a MTU contour Rock barrel. I am jumping the bullets to the lands about 0.030". It a fairly new barrel and I have only put about 160 rounds through it so far. I chambered it with a PTG tac match reamer. I think the bore is pretty tight as I had to use the smallest pilot I had and even then it was still tight. I got up to like 2920fps with 91.5 grains of RL25 but I was starting to get pressure signs and the accuracy only got worse above 89.5 grains.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Disasterpath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went out and did some shooting at a mile with the .338 Lapua and had something interesting happen. On one of the shots the bullet impacted about 150 feet to the left and about 25 feet high of the target. At first I thought the scope went bad but I didnt have the problem for the rest of the day. I am assuming the jacket came apart or it was a defective bullet. Also, the berger 300's were having a nose slump problem and I was wondering how people can tell if they are having this problem. Has anyone had any issues with the 300gr SMK's coming apart? I am pushing them at 2850 fps running 89gr of reloader 25. </div></div>

Not sure if you were shooting steel or not, but is it possible your shot grazed the corner of the target and the ricochet caused it to land 150ft left and higher?

I had the same instance once and immediately assumed it was the equipment until I saw the graze on the edge of the steel. Dunno, just a thought? </div></div>

I was shooting steel but the bullet impacted on the ridge about another 150 yards behind the target and higher. I dont recall seeing any faint edge hits on the steel so i dont think it was that. I saw it impact through the scope on the very outer edge of my field of view and my father was spotting through the spotting scope right next to me and we both just looked at eachother like "what the hell just happened." First thing I did was look to see if there were any baffle strikes on the brake but there werent any. Its a strange thing because it seems to me that even if it came apart it wouldnt have made it out that far and would have hit well below the target instead of above it on the distant hill. I had some 115gr bergers come apart a few years ago shooting them out of the .243 at 3000 fps and they went crazy but always impacted well in front of the target.

I shoot about 1200 rounds every summer in IHMSA competition. What you are describing is a classic edge hit scenario. I have seen it many many times. As a spotter it has made me almost call a miss and sometimes even call a miss at 200M. At 200M the ring of steel, even a glancing blow, is quite plain. I am sure at a mile there is little to no feedback ring even on a solid hit?

Hmm.... Well then that very well may be the case. We couldn't hear any impacts on steel past 1200 yards that day. There was a bit of wind which always makes hearing impacts a bit harder.

Could you of cought a rough up draft that made the shot rise?
what was the contour of the land your shot was over?