• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.300NM Component Choices

Dogtown

Ke = (mv^2)/2
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 21, 2007
    CONUS
    Can someone school me on .300 Norma Mag components?

I've been out of the ELR game for a number of years (fuck cancer & astrophysics), but am slowly getting back into the game. I've gone from .300WM to .338LM to .408CT to .375CT and ultimately settled on .338LM Improved about 8 years ago. It's been great and still is my go to ELR rig, but a lot has changed since then. With the growth in high performance 6.5 & 7.62 bullets and cartridges, I decided to put together a .300 Norma Mag with the intention of having something better suited for the majority of my shooting beyond 1000m. I'll just save the .338LM Imp for the beyond 2000m stuff.

What I'm curious about is, given the wide variety of bullets and powders for this cartridge, is there a general consensus about what's working best overall?

I see a lot of guys shooting Berger 215s & 230s, with the typical magnum powders like H1000 & Retumbo. I've still got a lot of RL33, so I just assumed I'd go that route first, though it's slow enough that I would think it favors heavier bullets.

Anyway, just curious what others who've gone down the .300NM route are running these days?

Reactions: Skeetshooter