• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300prc for elk?

Mdfowlman2

Private
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2020
So I’m looking at building magnum in the next few months. Very intrigued by the 300prc and looking to see if anyone has had one out for long range elk hunting?

The 300 Win Mag is a VERY effective Elk cartridge. The 300 PRC is ever so slightly better than the 300 Win Mag being able to seat long heavy bullets out to 3.7". Cue the 300 Win Mag guys that say you can do the same thing with a 300 Win Mag if you throat it 'properly' and have magazines that support the long COL.

If you load your own I would go 300 PRC. If you don't reload I would probably stick to a more common (and easily available) cartridge like 300 win mag.

Btw, Just so we're on the same page. what is "long range" elk distance distances we're talking about?

It is what I want to replace my aging 300 WM. As I feel it just improves on the 300WM.

Reactions: HogsLife
Ive hunted elk almost exclusively with a 338wm and its potion is extremely potent with good bullet selection. If people are seeing good results with the 300wm there cant be too much wrong with it if the bullet you choose is suitable for the game at the distance your hunting, given your estimated mv at said distance. You just have to spit the right wad at them and they will die ethically with good shot placement.

Not needed, too much gun. You’ll just wound them. 7mm is way better- just ask guys in the hunting forum. 🙄

But yes- 300 PRC is a great cartridge. Shooting the 212 ELD-x it will do well out to any reasonable range. I’ve used the .30 cal 200 ELD-x out to 700 on elk. 212 is even better. When my current 300 WM barrel is gone, I plan on re-barreling with 300 PRC.

Reactions: Slides
Ive hunted elk almost exclusively with a 338wm and its potion is extremely potent with good bullet selection. If people are seeing good results with the 300wm there cant be too much wrong with it if the bullet you choose is suitable for the game at the distance your hunting, given your estimated mv at said distance. You just have to spit the right wad at them and they will die ethically with good shot placement.

An elk will cover an incredible amount of country if poorly shot with even the magnumiest of magnums.

An elk will cover an incredible amount of country if poorly shot with even the magnumiest of magnums.
I swear an elk can cover literally miles in a matter of 4-5 minutes. And with three legs at even 75 percent that speed they will still smoke anyone/anything, and even though thick thick cover as well. After the magic dust settles I havent seen any of them critters step more than a few feet, but by far most were DRT. The 338wm socks them with much ooph. We shoot either Nosler accubond 225 or bergers. Both work great, but I'm fixing myself up for a 7 SAUM that I am excited to try the berger 180s on elk with as I have heard great things. If it doesn't work well I know what has worked great in the past.

I built a 280AI for elk. Haven't tested it but have heard good things. I am intrigued by the Federal Terminal Ascent 155gr and will probably use that.

I shot a NM bull a few weeks back with my 300 PRC. 7828SSC under a 200 gr Federal TLR @ 2970 FPS.
20201124_183324.jpg

20191201_203026.jpg

I swear an elk can cover literally miles in a matter of 4-5 minutes. And with three legs at even 75 percent that speed they will still smoke anyone/anything, and even though thick thick cover as well. After the magic dust settles I havent seen any of them critters step more than a few feet, but by far most were DRT. The 338wm socks them with much ooph. We shoot either Nosler accubond 225 or bergers. Both work great, but I'm fixing myself up for a 7 SAUM that I am excited to try the berger 180s on elk with as I have heard great things. If it doesn't work well I know what has worked great in the past.

My 7 ss killed an elk ded at 590 this year. Pur three in the boiler room as he stood there. It wasn't dramatic till he tipped over backwards. All were fatal, but none with the pizzaz of a big 338 bullet.

But, a 180 vld makes a mess of the insides.

If guys use 180 to 200 in their 300s, I can't see why the 180 would be frowned upon. Sectional density is better on the 7 mm.

But, bigger is better if a guy goes there. A 300 prc is gonna be just fine for an elk rifle.

Reactions: ohmosy and Raffy
My 7 ss killed an elk ded at 590 this year. Pur three in the boiler room as he stood there. It wasn't dramatic till he tipped over backwards. All were fatal, but none with the pizzaz of a big 338 bullet.

If guys use 180 to 200 in their 300s, I can't see why the 180 would be frowned upon. Sectional density is better on the 7 mm.

But, bigger is better if a guy goes there. A 300 prc is gonna be just fine for an elk rifle.
I was also considering the 7ss, are you running yours in a LA?

I was also considering the 7ss, are you running yours in a LA?

Short action Nucleus in Accurate 300WSM mags. 180 vld.

I have friends that run it in SA Origin, TL3, Nucleus and I think a Defiance. Pretty sure all have Proof CF barrels.

It is universally easy to load for. RL 26 is like magic. I ran it with H1000 and others have run it with VV and IMR powders. Still easy to load for and shoot small groups.

I have run the numbers, the 180 vld is the sweet spot. A buddy tried 175s, 190, 195, etc. Can't really beat the 180 vld in ballistic performance for hunting.

If you want to run the 195s step up to the 7 Sherman Max and go long action.

I bought a reamer for my smith, am gonna send him a couple barrels. Gonna turn one for ELR target and a shorter barrel for backpack hunts.

I love my rifle and what it does. That's my zero confirmation for my hunt. The other two were my buddy shooting his rifle.

Attachments

• 20201031_143200.jpg
    20201031_143200.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 117
  • received_858022531604388.jpeg
    received_858022531604388.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 261
Short action Nucleus in Accurate 300WSM mags. 180 vld.

I have friends that run it in SA Origin, TL3, Nucleus and I think a Defiance. Pretty sure all have Proof CF barrels.

It is universally easy to load for. RL 26 is like magic. I ran it with H1000 and others have run it with VV and IMR powders. Still easy to load for and shoot small groups.

I have run the numbers, the 180 vld is the sweet spot. A buddy tried 175s, 190, 195, etc. Can't really beat the 180 vld in ballistic performance for hunting.

If you want to run the 195s step up to the 7 Sherman Max and go long action.

I bought a reamer for my smith, am gonna send him a couple barrels. Gonna turn one for ELR target and a shorter barrel for backpack hunts.

I love my rifle and what it does. That's my zero confirmation for my hunt. The other two were my buddy shooting his rifle.
Going for the first time this year on an otc tag. Gonna guess where to go and hope for the best!

i decided to just rebarrel my 7mag Rem Sendero with a 24” CF Bartlien for my elk rifle. the barrel here, I just need to get the smithing done. Decided against the 28’Nosler just cuz the brass is hard to find and pricey.

the thought did cross my
Mind about going 300 PRC tho….and now I’m killing over the 7 SS

I have both the 300wm and 300prc. Both work great for Elk at long distances. Due to ammo availability I would go with the 300wm there are more choices in ammo to be had.