• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

300PRC Rifle Weight

cjs88

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jan 7, 2020
    TEXAS
    Just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on an acceptable rifle weight for a 300PRC for hunting. I was going with an AG adjustable alpine hunter stock and Proof CF 24" barrel but I feel that may be too light. Should I switch to a steel barrel instead to add some extra weight?

My 300 PRC rifle build will be under 10lbs. loaded. How much you willing to work to avoid some momentary recoil?

My 300 PRC rifle build will be under 10lbs. loaded. How much you willing to work to avoid some momentary recoil?
    Right now without the scope the rifle, once it's built, will be just under 7.5lbs.

That stock is listed at 40 oz add 8oz for BDL bottom metal, Wyatt’s box, spring, follower and a couple oz of devcon it’ll likely come in a little heavier than you think. They usually do.
    You gonna run a brake on it?

I have one now with a 26” 3B that weighs 7lb 14 oz.

I’m building another with a 24” proof that will be 7 lb even. I’ll put a Zeiss v4 on it and be right at 8.5 lbs.

That stock is listed at 40 oz add 8oz for BDL bottom metal, Wyatt’s box, spring, follower and a couple oz of devcon it’ll likely come in a little heavier than you think. They usually do.
    You gonna run a brake on it?
    Didn't know weight was added with other features. Figured the stock was a firm 40oz. I will be running a CB brake for the Ultra 7 I have ordered.

If it's truly a hunting rifle, you're not going to be shooting a high firing schedule through it. The lighter the better for carrying around or hiking depending on where you're hunting. That's why I went ultralight.

Didn't know weight was added with other features. Figured the stock was a firm 40oz. I will be running a CB brake for the Ultra 7 I have ordered.

Those are the added component weights not additional weight to the bare stock.

And the carbon barrel should offset some of the weight of the can should you be hunting with that configuration. It’ll probably balance pretty good all spun up.

Those are the added component weights not additional weight to the bare stock.

And the carbon barrel should offset some of the weight of the can should you be hunting with that configuration. It’ll probably balance pretty good all spun up.
    Hopefully. I appreciate everyone feedback. This is my first bolt action build so a lot of research is going in to it.

Last edited: