• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300PRC?

Maelstrom

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2007
Southern Maryland
A buddy of mine just purchased a 300PRC rifle. I know nothing about this round but he is saying he bought it because it will also shoot .300WM. I could be way off due to my ignorance of the round but that just doesn't seem right to me. So will a .300PRC also shoot .300WM?

No. You're right. If you hate your "friend," have him try the 300WM in a 300PRC chamber, and stay behind some cover. Make sure you're recording while it happens. Prepare for the lol's.

300 PRC cartridge utilizes the same bolt face diameter long action as the 300WM so he can shoot 300wm IF and that's IF he changes/swaps the barrel to a 300wm chambered barrel.

I doubt it will even chamber with the belt. If it does then it will probably shoot in it.

Its not going to explode.

It wouldnt chanber so your friend wont die. The 300PRC is shorter and non belted. You could never close the bolt on a 300 win mag round in a 300PRC chamber. Its like loading 30-06 into a 308.

Now if your friend has a multicaliper rifle such as an AXMC, Barret MRAD, or Desert Tactical, then thats a different story.

It wouldnt chanber so your friend wont die. The 300PRC is shorter and non belted. You could never close the bolt on a 300 win mag round in a 300PRC chamber. Its like loading 30-06 into a 308.

Now if your friend has a multicaliper rifle such as an AXMC, Barret MRAD, or Desert Tactical, then thats a different story.

You should compare reamer prints on each. The prc is not only longer to the shoulder, but fatter at the shoulder as well. The base diameter of the prc case is .532. The wm belt diameter is .535 according to my reamer print, which means that brass is some amount smaller. So I’m thinking it would chamber. I’d also think that if it actually fired, the case just forward of the belt would rupture, and the belt would make a shitty seal.

Reactions: Sniper266
You should compare reamer prints on each. The prc is not only longer to the shoulder, but fatter at the shoulder as well. The base diameter of the prc case is .532. The wm belt diameter is .535 according to my reamer print, which means that brass is some amount smaller. So I’m thinking it would chamber. I’d also think that if it actually fired, the case just forward of the belt would rupture, and the belt would make a shitty seal.

After double checking the SAAMI specs, the PRC is approximately .1” shorter and the shoulder 10 degrees wider. So i belive Supersubes is more correct and it might chamber.
I was under the impression that the 300 PRC was much shorter but thats not the case.

After double checking the SAAMI specs, the PRC is approximately .1” shorter and the shoulder 10 degrees wider. So i belive Supersubes is more correct and it might chamber.
I was under the impression that the 300 PRC was much shorter but thats not the case.

It’s funny, I just looked at it again. I think you were correct. No way the bolt will close. Wm is .080 longer at the shoulder, and .010 longer at the neck shoulder junction.

It’s a awesome round in my opinion. It’s slightly longer than the .300wm. 3.700” o.a.l.

I’m running it in a new F open class rifle I built in springtime. I do believe Hornady released it thru SAAMI so loaded ammo etc....should be available anytime.

We have the chamber reamer at work as we did make pressure and velocity and accuracy test barrels for Hornady. Same reamer I used in my rifle. Nice throat and neck design. I made no alterations to it.

In a F class gun.... the .300wm, .300WSM and the .300PRC are going to be about the same barrel life wise. I’m going to say 1000 rounds and you will be pulling the barrel on any of these for F class use.