• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300RUM build??

valhalla ss

Private
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2007
Need a little advice on my first build. I have a Rem 700 LA mag receiver with a mag boltface and I want to build it into a 300RUM. I am thinking of sending the receiver to Pac-Nor to have them true the receiver and put the barrel on as well as install a Badger FTE brake on it. What length, contour and twist barrel should I ask for? I am planning to go with their stainless barrel if that matters? I am also ordering a Mcmillan M40-A1 HTG stock for it and I'm wondering if I should get that pillar bedded? I like to take the barreled actions out of the stock when cleaning and thought the pillars might help hold POA/POI better than no bedding. Can anybody see anything I should do different with what I am doing here? Thanks!!

Re: 300RUM build??

LV Contour, Cut Rifled 1-10 twist finished at 27" minimum, 29" better. Wyatts Extended Magazine Box, Pillar Bed Stock for sure, HTG may be too small for that caliber, Muzzle Brake a must.

I've built several and they absolutly hammer with 210 Bergers +.010" in the lands, 91.0 RL-25, RP Hulls and F215M Primers. 3,200+ fps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LV Contour, Cut Rifled 1-10 twist finished at 27" minimum, 29" better. Wyatts Extended Magazine Box, Pillar Bed Stock for sure, HTG may be too small for that caliber, Muzzle Brake a must.

I've built several and they absolutly hammer with 210 Bergers +.010" in the lands, 91.0 RL-25, RP Hulls and F215M Primers. 3,200+ fps. </div></div>

+1....

I have heard of the Wyatts extended boxes, do they require the action to be machined? Can Pac Nor install them? I was hoping just to ship it to them and have it done, their prices look pretty good. I was planning to run Williams LA bottom metal with stock spring and follower. As far as the HTG, is there a different McMillan stock that would be better? I REALLY like the looks of the HTG's in forest camo. With a Badger FTE brake, will the recoil be manageable?

Pac Nor should be able to install the Wyatt’s Extended Mag Box and yes, the receiver will need to be modified slightly at the rear of the magazine well cut out, bottom of the receiver. A 300RUM in an HTG Stock with an FTE will look like a fish out of water.

I built one and they guy insisted on using his old Remington Sendero Stock. He hunted with it last year but said it felt uncomfortable. I convinced him to change to a McMillan A5 this year and just two months ago bedded and fitted the rifle to the stock. When he took delivery of it he said "This is what the rifle needed all along"

Go figure??

Maybe I will send it to Pac-Nor and have them true the action, put the barrel and brake on, then send it to you for the Wyatt box install, a Badger bolt install, and pillar bedding the stock?? Is that something you would do? I already have a Rifle basix trigger set to 1.5lbs I think, I will probably just drop it in. I have a Leupold 4.5-14x50 Ill TMR scope I want to run on it, will that be enough glass out to 1000? Also, what do you think about having them flute the barrel? any downside?

I think Mr. Roscoe has given you good advise. The only thing I would change is I would go with a Manners GAT or T2, T4 for this build. I have 5 Manners stocks, and they are great. Better lead time than McMillan as well. Also, why not just have Mr. Roscoe build the whole thing for you, sounds like he has the reamers. I much prefer to deal with an individual gunsmith on a build than a whole company. That way the buck stops with one person.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: valhalla ss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe I will send it to Pac-Nor and have them true the action, put the barrel and brake on, then send it to you for the Wyatt box install, a Badger bolt install, and pillar bedding the stock?? Is that something you would do? I already have a Rifle basix trigger set to 1.5lbs I think, I will probably just drop it in. I have a Leupold 4.5-14x50 Ill TMR scope I want to run on it, will that be enough glass out to 1000? Also, what do you think about having them flute the barrel? any downside? </div></div>

Just send the entire rifle to me if you like, I can do it all. Here's my latest RUM Build. The client had Kampfeld flute the barrel and bolt after the build was complete. A5 McMillan, Krieger LV 1-10 finished at 27". This rifle has shot 3 shot groups at 500 in 1 3/8"

op7cp5.jpg

William,
What does that rifle weigh? I have a Sendero now and use at the range and for hunting.
Thanks
Jeff