• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300RUM Favorite powder

freebird63

Private
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2010
Boise, Idaho USA
For all those who shoot the 300RUM I was curious as to their favorite powder.
Retumbo
Ramshot Magnum
Reloader 22
Reloader 25
Hodgdon US 869
Hodgdon H1000
Accurate MagPro
IMR 4350
Feel free to add any that I may have for got.
Chuck

Re: 300RUM Favorite powder

I had to run to one of the local Boise gun shops and the owner said that the gunsmith he uses has gotten the best accuracy out of the IMR7828SSC, It is truely amazing how much I really don't know

I recently tried Retumbo shoots nice but doesnt meter that great. However, the 4831SC flies through the dispenser and have had good groups with it. I haven't tried the IMR7828ssc sounds like I may need to but am quite pleased with H4831SC.

I like H1000, but from the looks of things I think I am gonna try the IMR7828ssc. What kind of velocities are folks getting with the 7828? with what barrel lengths also. Thanks

i've been told that RL25 is the cats ass from a few guys that play with the RUM, tried it and felt like i coulda done better. So....I am trying some Retumbo and nay have to venture out to the 7828ssc if i aint satisfied.
Gonna try the Retumbo underneath a 180 Amax and see what happens....

Outa curiousity(spelled right)???? What Twist rate and boolet weight you guys using with the IMR7828ssc????

Thanks, Steven

I had good results with retumbo and H1000......Didn't try anything else.

Have you noticed the RL-25 being temp sensitive???
I was going to get some of that the other day but changed my mind at the last minute and hot H1000 instead

I run RL-25 in my .243 and haven't noticed a sensitivity to temp.. Many others have complained about lot-to-lot consistency however.

I ran 7828 in my old one, gave good accuracy. Now Im running Retumbo and getting good accuracy. Going 99gr with a 180gr accubond pushing 3400fps

I got 2986fps avg with a sd of 14fps. Accuracy was okay not great, .625" @ 100y (i was on a horribly wobbly table, will try this again prone now that I have velocities). This was with 91.4gr H1000 pushing a 220gr SMK. If I can get the groups tighter this will be my load. I was getting primers flattened slightly, in fact they were flattened the same on the 82gr of H1000, so I am going to say that I am not in any excess pressure signs, brass looked great. My problem is that I can not get my bullets any closer then .040" from rifling because of Rem Internal box length.
This is out of a Rem M700P, 1in10" twist, 26" barrel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XXX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like IMR7828ssc with a 200 grain Accubomb. It is the most accurate powder In have tried in my Ultramags </div></div>

What he said. 7828 doesn't give me the highest velocity, but it does give me great groups in my 300 RUM.

Buddy of mine shoots Retumbo pushing 220's nearly 3100 fps with a 33" Benchmark BBL. Something like 99.8gr. He pulls some crazy groups with that load.