• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300RUM info

freebird63

Private
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2010
Boise, Idaho USA
Hello all, I bought myself a 300RUM. At first I thought I wanted to shoot berger bullets. I have made a couple trips out to the desert, tried 175gr, 185gr, 190gr and 210gr berger bullets. The OAL for my gun is 3.600, I seated them just a tad farther and am getting very sporadic groups. I started out at 100 yards and went out as far as 400 yards. I had intended on making 200 yards my zero. As far as powders go, I have tried Retumbo, Ramshot Magnum. I re-measured my magazine length and loaded some 180gr Scirrocco's long enough to still fit in the magazine. I have not been out shooting since loading those. The other day I picked up a box of 208gr Amax bullets and 1 pound of Hodgdon US 869 powder. Have not loaded any of these as I can't find any load data for them. Does anyone have any advice for me???

Re: 300RUM info

What bullets are you shooting?? I am by no means an expert at reloading, have only been doing it for about 4 years now and am finding that I really know nothing and am learning lots of new stuff. So any advice people can give me would be greatly appreciated. Also when I have been reloading I have been measuring from the base to the tip and also using a hornady comparator to measure from base to Ogive. Hopefully come summer time I will have found a good load and shooting out to 1000 yards.
Thanks
Chuck

Freebird,
I am having the same issues at the moment with my new 700P 300 RUM. the load I am considering shooting is over max load of H1000, 220 SMK, COL 3.680 (my box length is 3.690) Fed GM215M primer. I dont have alot of history with this load as I only have 40 rds down the pipe, but my last 5 shot group was with a clean barrel and after 2 foul shots the next 3 hit the same hole with a centerline measure of .105" @ 100y. Hopefully someone out there reads this and gives some feedback because with my load of H1000 it looks like I can get at least 8gr more powder in the case.
With my load I am only getting 2800fps, I read on here where some guy was getting identical results with 78.5gr of powder out of a 300 WM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mmedearis509</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Freebird,
I am having the same issues at the moment with my new 700P 300 RUM. the load I am considering shooting is over max load of H1000, 220 SMK, COL 3.680 (my box length is 3.690) Fed GM215M primer. I dont have alot of history with this load as I only have 40 rds down the pipe, but my last 5 shot group was with a clean barrel and after 2 foul shots the next 3 hit the same hole with a centerline measure of .105" @ 100y. Hopefully someone out there reads this and gives some feedback because with my load of H1000 it looks like I can get at least 8gr more powder in the case.
With my load I am only getting 2800fps, I read on here where some guy was getting identical results with 78.5gr of powder out of a 300 WM. </div></div>

glad it shoots!

Cruizer,
Yep, that 700P I got from you is a heck of a shooter. The barrel is really starting to break in, as I gained nearly 30-40fps my last shooting session. My deviations are around mid 20fps with my load. I was hoping to get around 3000+ with the 220gr SMK's though. You have any suggestions?

I have had very good luck with H4831 SC and RE22, behind the 208 AMAX in my 300 Rum

I had emailed hornady asking for some load data on the 208gr Amax bullets and all they said was use the data for the 220gr bullets. I must say I was extremely disapointed with their response. When ever I have emailed berger about some info or load data there were on top of it.
As for powder I already have some Retumbo, Ramshot Magnum, Hodgdon US 869, Reloader 22, IMR 4350. Was also thinking about getting some Reloader 25. Wished this Idaho weather would get better so I can get out into the desert and shoot some rounds.

Mine did not shoot with anything I tried. Was going to cut it down and use the barrel in another receiver and put it on the lathe and it was bent. It was almost .040. Replaced barrel with another and was 1/2 minute rifle.

94.3 R25, 215m, nosler brass, 190 berger at the lands, 3.769coal in a Wyatts box, 3254fps.

With the 208 amax I used 92.5gr of retumbo for my best load and 60 thou off the lands

91.2 of H1000 both around 3100 fps, did get faster with more but the groups opened in my rifle

basicly the same load as I used for the 220 SMK and still over 3K

Factory Sendero but rum reamed from 300WM to get a shorter throat
smile.gif

I have been looking at those Wyatt extended magazines for my 300RUM?? Am trying to decide if the cost is worth gaining an extra .110??? I did load some ammo up yesterday that is real close to the lands, have not shot it yet thou and it would make my Sendero a single shot. So until this Idaho weather makes up its mind to stop snowing and the sun to come out I won't know how they shoot.