• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300rum is a 308 win correct ?

hershey

Private
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2007
northern ohio
i am trying to make sure i got a true understanding of what i am getting into. to shoot 1000yds a person chooses a caliber, i/e 6mm, 7mm, 30 cal, 338, etc and then basically wants to find a large catridge to chamber that in, i/e more powder/larger loads give you more options to get out to 1000yds.

i am currently practicing/experimenting w/ a savage 116 factory gun in 300rum, i am no where near max load, probably closer to a 30-06, but getting some good results w/ 180 gr. (at 300yds) i see everyone say start out w/ a 308, but if i load a 300rum to 308 specs, i am basically shooting a 308 right?

all this said, i have a remmy 700 action in both ultra mag, and win mag, i also have a savage action in 308, i already have all the dies and brass to pursue 7mm rem, 308 win, or 300rum, would i have a good reason to not use the largest case, i/e 300rum.

i have just graduated from changing 2 sets of diapers to one, so i am not on a budget to practice everyday, and my goal is to do it(1000yds) once and have the option of doing it again if i get hooked. ibwant to enjoy hitting paper for fun at extended distances occasionally, the larger cartridge will take up some of the inexperience, i/e a flatter trajectory etc, especially when not shooting a known distance. i will probably shoot less than 300 rounds a year at extended distances, again my goal is 1000yds, i understand that if it were only 500yds i could be using something allot cheaper.

Re: 300rum is a 308 win correct ?

For practice, I'd shoot the wheels off the .308win. Practice at 200+ yards, it'll be much cheaper to shoot that most and barrel life will far exceed the 300RUM. Next, I'd use the 300 Win Mag you say you have. I'd shoot the 190's to 210's from it and develop a LR load. The 300RUM and 300 Win Mag use .30 caliber bullets but, they're no where near .308 specs, they're much more than that. When loaded to where they'll shoot the best, they're probably around 55-60,000cup, the .308 win, probably around 50-55,000cup. The 300RUM will drive a 200/208/210 weight bullet at or around 3,200fps, the 300 Win Mag, around 3,000 to 3,100 fps depending on barrel and load. The 300RUM and 300 Win Mag are jam up 1000 yard rounds but, the 300RUM isn’t really necessary for the distance. The .308 will make 1000 yards but you'll have to do it with a 175 grain bullet at or around 2,700fps. Good luck and good shooting.

In short, practice with the .308
Use the 300 Win. Mag for 1k
Use the 300RUM for hunting, save the barrel and components

follow up, my magnum action in remmy 700 is currently a 338 win mag, i was considering a rebarreling in 7mm rem mag, but could do 300 win mag, but have no brass dies etc. for that, my 308 savage is a shot out model 12 that needs a rebarrel, considering a .243 for that
, again, no dies or brass in that caliber, i have two 300rum's a rem 700, and the savage 116, i want to rebarrel the sporter weight remmy, but want to make sure that is my best option, for money reasons i am only gonna rebarrel one...

They make pre threaded/chambered barrels for the Savage Rifles. They're made so the owner can change them out his self. You'll need a barrel vise and a barrel nut wrench but, that may be the cheapest way to go. I'd still reccomend the .308WIN for practice. There are several calibers available to you in the pre-threaded/chambered barrels. Barrels

the 7mm Rem mag will do it for you. no need to go .300 if you have 7 RM dies and stuff.

Why not just use one of the countless loads that have been published on the RELOADING forum for 308 with the 175SMK. Practice at 200 and 300 yards. Work on your technique,work on holding tight groups and begin to learn the WIND. You can be shooting 338LM or 50BMG and if you can't read the wind and adjust for enviromental factors you won't hit consistently.

Further,THERE IS NO WAY-to be proficient at shooting LONG RANGE by shooting only 300 rounds a year.You have the tools-.There is absolutely NO way to learn to shoot long range without putting in the commitment and the practice. And practice means trigger time. 308 is capable-to get to 1000yards. 300 rounds a year does not equal proficiency. Its that simple.

The .300RUM would probably work at .308 charge levels, but the load density (percentage of case capacity actually being used) would probably be on the low side, and that can cause accuracy/consistency issues. Also, min charges are published for a reason, heed them, safety may be involved, it's a debatable subject.

The switch-barrel capability of the Savage allows certain chambering swaps, but bolt face diameters need to match, so pay attention to that.

If I was going to replace a Savage .308 barrel, I'd get a good replacement barrel in that chambering, and also get one in .260 Rem, since you're handloading anyway. Except for the chamber and bore, they are otherwise identical. You can use .243 brass and neck it up, it's not a big deal.

The commitment and practice are essential, as above. But if cost is the issue, you can do most of what you'd be doing at 500-1000yd with a centerfire, by doing your practice at 50-250yd with a .22LR, and then a lot more shooting becomes affordable, and chances are you can do it closer to home, too. These days, you can buy literally thousands of rounds of good .22LR ammo for the same price as a hundred rounds of good centerfire match ammo. The practice rifle doesn't need be a match rifle, just a reasonably accurate, moderately priced, reliable rifle. A bottom line used Savage MKII with an under $100 Tasco scope serves all my practice needs.

Greg

guys thanx for the advice, i have learned many times over that practice has allot to do w/ it, but good equipment has to be there too. i learned that lesson golfing one season, i got switched to 2nd shift one summer in my bachelor days, i did 18 holes everyday, and got to be a bogey golfer by mid summer but could not improve beyond that, i upgrade my clubs and actually could make par once in a while, after no practice all winter, i went right back to a triple boggy golfer the next spring.....

shooting is probably very similar, i can go out to the range and put together some good groups, but don't do it often enough to get really on top of it, i am hoping in a season or two to be able to make the investment of time. thanx for the support.

I'm still hoping to get good enough to play 1000 yard golf...with a rifle..and a golf ball..repeatedly ...Pc

Just my .02, if you arent a real seasoned shooter (i am not) you might want to think about the recoil value too, to get good fundamentals down a 338wm is going to kick, a 243 doesnt and is a lot cheaper to shoot that a 300rum, wm, i dont know about the 308 win though. I learned the hard way i went straight into a savage12 300wsm, it kicks a little, and is very pricey to reload for. Needless to say, i spend a lot of time behind a .22. Cost of shooting is something to really consider and the availability of the componets.
Ubet

Greg gave you great advice. Pay attention to the minimum charges listed in your loading manuals. If you fall below this, your load density can become low enough that you could have detonation problems.

thanx guys, the 338 action is currently awaiting a .300 rum 30" tube, 1 in 10 twist, shilen #7 barrel, dropped it off last week for the update.

i am planning on setting up a practice schedule in the spring, i can only do 100yds at home, and 300yds at a nearby range. figure on using a 17hmr for allot of the practice and maybe a 223 for the 300 yd range, that will keep the costs down and still give me trigger time.