• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

300rum or 30/338lap

USAS

Private
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2005
Hi guys,

Im looking at a new build and have a few questions of those of you that have these calibers. I have a 1-10 twist 27in lilja barrell and i'll be looking to chamber off a 220gr or 240gr SMK.
If i go the 30/338 i will get a new stiller action, though with the rum i would just true my magnum R700 sendero action. These will be a long range build.

Questions
- will a 1/10 twist stabilize the 240gr smk or do i need a 1/9.
- Is the 30/338lap worth the messing around other then the better brass
- How fast are you guys pushing these projectiles out of these cases
- Any info that you guys can bring to light regarding your experience with these cals that I should watch out for....
- And lastling is it worth going to CIP length AI mags

Thanks

Re: 300rum or 30/338lap

IMO,You have a good long barrel and plenty of speed will be attained so the 10 twist should work just fine.

I have a 30-375R,9 twist which works great with 240's and have read of good success with 240's in 10 twist 30-06's stabilizing just fine.I think Norma has a 30 cal version now based off their 338 Norma case ??? There was talk about it last year.The 300 Hulk has set 1000Y benchrest records in the hands of Tom Sarver.

If I had to do it all over a again I'd go 7mm for standard long range work or go strait up to 338 for extreme long range using the new Berger 300's.JTG was making it look easy at almost 2400Y with his 338L
crazy.gif

Steve, I think the case you're referring to is the 300 Norma Mag. Same case head as the 338 Lapua and 338 Norma Mags, but it's slightly shortened and a little fiddled with.

Tom's said previously on here that the 300 Norma Improved would essentially be the 300 Hulk.

To the OP, I'd run any of the Norma or Lapua wildcat offerings over the RUM for the simple fact that the brass is better. If you take care of it you can get many many loading cycles from it. I remember Tom saying he had something like 50+ loadings on some of his first Hulk cases.

Hmm 300 Norma might be worth a closer look i think.
much data floating around on these?, i've done some searches and the look pretty close to the cases i've been looking at using less powder.

I should have a 300 Norma in a month. Mine has a 28" Pac-Nor 9 twist shooting 208 A-Max's at a projected 3150 fps (yet to be proven). When it is up and running I'll post a review. I also plan to try the 220's. Have heard some good things about this bullet with Ramshot Magnum.

that's good 260 im interested to hear how you go with it