• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.300WM 125 grainers?

Joe Kidd

NRA Lifer
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2013
North Carolina
How do 125's shoot in a 1in10" at about 3500fps. I think they would be a blast to try. Maybe some 4350 or H380 to start.

Last edited:
How do 125's shoot in a 1in10" at about 3500fps. I think they would be a blast to try. Maybe some 4350 or H380 to start.
-
depends on how thick the Jackets are ?
You might be pushing them over the edge out a .300wm & using thinner jacket varmint bullets . 10-twist & the the parent case .375 HH on a full burn RPM's might just smoke the light weight bullet if the jackets wont hold .
Plus, It might not even do the 125's justice in the over powered .300wm and be kind of a waist . A smaller parent case pushing them would be more efficient on pushing them & make use of there light-weight performance .

If they stay together, they would be lasers. But, on the other hand, it would be a waste of powder, as those bullets are better optimized in the 308 or 30-06 at the very most. Personally I think that these would be past the point of diminishing returns. You would be burning tons of powder to run a ballisticly inefficient bullet really fast, but it's still going to bleed off energy much faster than a more appropriate for caliber/cartridge bullet. If you wanna go fast and flat with a 300wm, look at a 168 vld/classic hunter. 30% heavier and much more efficient at retaining energy over the longer ranges in which the 300 wm shines. If you are not shooing long range, then run the 125's in a 308 @ 3100 and call it a day. Any game taken wil not notice the lacking of 300-400 fps given up to the 300wm. Also there is the aspect of stress on the barrel as well.

I shot some 110 vmaxes in a 300wm with a middle road dose of varget. They'd really f up a pumpkin! BHowever, I decided my barrel life was better suited to something heavier (208 a maxes mess up stuff really well too!)

A 125gr Nosler BT at north of 3500 stays together in flight, but not on meat. I shot a doe with one at ~100yds and it was very near decapitation (neck, just below the head, only a few inches of hide still intact). This was from a 26" barrel using Standard LRP's and Varget. This load will vaporize a yote!

Must build a win mag

Problem is I want it throated for 230 bergers...
Would I still be able to shoot 125 nosler bt's?

I shot 125 BTs in a 300 Win. They were DEVASTATING on broadside deer & head shots. I shot a big boar facing me @ about 75yds in the head & all it did was piss him off & break his nose. I quit shooting the BTs after that. The 130gr Barnes TTSX might be a tougher constructed bullet that'd scream in a 300

I run a few 125 Ballistic Tips through my .300 with a 1:10 at prairie dogs. If you like carnage with a big boom it fits the bill. 75 grains of 4350 have mine going 3350. Not quite 3500 but seemed plenty fast to me. These loads were solid .75 moa loads and will blow a p. dog up at 400 like a 22-250 does at 200.

There are certainly far more efficient ways of sending 100 to 130 grains of frangible projectile downrange. Efficiency had nothing to do with the pursuit for me however. It was the absurdity and explosive results that appealed to me. This combination certainly delivers both!

"""A 125gr Nosler BT at north of 3500 stays together in flight, but not on meat. I shot a doe with one at ~100yds and it was very near decapitation (neck, just below the head, only a few inches of hide still intact)."""
^^^^^^^^^^^

Nice! Complete decapitaion is a very difficult threshold to meet. Has been a topic of discussion with a friend of mine. The situation you describe was as close as he has been able to come.

Today I worked up a load with 125gr AB's. Started@71grs of H4350. The ES settled way down at 73grs with a 3275fps avg and a 17ES. Pressure signs almost there. We'll soon try it on paper. Ought to be fun on some critters!

i have loaded 125 bt's with a bunch of n560 and they where well north of 3500 .it will turn 1 ground hog into 2
they shot .5moa out to 300 (never tested any further) 1/10 twist.

I shot some 125GR. Spitzers, out of my 5R 308. 5r's have a "very long throat". They made the "jump", just fine, were screamers,held together, and were very accurate. I had them "left over", from something old. Threw them together, on a whim, and was surprised. That's what I like, about reloading. You can "play with stuff", and find some interesting loads I was thinking about them, for the 300. 3500 FPS, by the book! That's "movin"..
Problem is I want it throated for 230 bergers...
Would I still be able to shoot 125 nosler bt's?

Last edited:
I shot 125 BTs in a 300 Win. They were DEVASTATING on broadside deer & head shots. I shot a big boar facing me @ about 75yds in the head & all it did was piss him off & break his nose. I quit shooting the BTs after that. The 130gr Barnes TTSX might be a tougher constructed bullet that'd scream in a 300

I have tried them. They did fine, but I went quickly to the 110gr V-max at 3800 fps. I have a factory barrel I would be happy to burn out and replace.

I was mowing the lawn today and there was either a very cocky or sick coyote standing right out back of my house by my shooting bench. He was still within 150 yards when I emerged onto the back porch with the 300WM and one of the above-mentioned V-max loads in the chamber. I don't have a pick on the computer yet, but the back half of his neck was gone. I use them because where I live I need to make sure that if I shoot a high-power rifle at anything other than my berm, the bullet will not survive its first impact in good enough form to travel very far. I've tested these loads and they disintegrate. So the only thing I would use them on is small game I want to vaporize or coyotes. I would not shoot a deer with these thin-jacketed, hyper-velocity loads.

Good day,

I shot 6 of 10 I build for my hunting 300 WM, fast load out of the Sierra manual and I didn't chronograph them. While cleaning the rifle, I found fire cracking 2" down the bore, in a rifle which had 300 rounds shot through it previously with no apparent damage. That was the last of my 3500 f/s experiments.

HTH,
DocB