• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300wm Action / Magazine Options???

JBM_DC

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2011
OKC, OK
www.facebook.com
Thinking of building a 300wm and was curious if this cartridge benefits from the longer 300RUM / 338 sized actions using CIP length mags? How long would a loaded cartridge be if you seated a 215 or 230gr hybrid with the bearing surface / boat tail junction just north of the case neck / shoulder junction? I currently have a TRG 42 action I could use or can pickup something else. (Money is not the issue) I just want to utilize the cartridge's full potential.

I've used both the Accurate Mags intermediate and CIP length mags with the 300wm loaded to 3.625" with the 230 Hybrid. That is the length needed to touch the lands with the 230 after chambering with the PTG TacMatch reamer.

QL suggests the boat tail will be at the neck/shoulder junction at ~3.740" with the 230 and the additional capacity would be worth ~10 fps.

There may be marginally better ELR performance from the 215s with the 300wm. I shoot the 230s and the difference isn't enough for me to develop fresh loads, but a buddy provided his data for the 215s and they're probably the way to go if you're starting from scratch. The new ELDm are significantly cheaper and offer similar performance. I've shot the 208s but not the 225s. On the other end of the cost ladder is the 198 Flatline. I load that one to 3.910". The only magazine I've seen that might work for it is the Desert Tech. The ELR performance is astounding.

I shoot the 215's in my 300 WM's. I personally believe that's the upper limit with that case. Therefor, I'm building a 30 Nosler to specificly shoot the 230's. I will be using the 338 CIP mags with it, snd will have pkenty of room to chase the lands.

I was looking at a similar option using a Stiller Tac 300 action using the 230 Bergers. The 300WM fed fine from the CIP 338 mags and you could stretch them out to 3.8 or so. I ended up going another direction with the 300NM though as I felt that I was compromising and the job would be completed far easier with the norma. You would be using the case to it's full potential, especially with the 215s, but, as Alpine is planning on doing, a step up in case would be the best bet for maximising the 230s IMHO.