• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300WM alternatives to H1000

Jerry V

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 18, 2020
    McGregor, Texas
    Wouldn't you know it. I found a great load for my 300WM using H1000 powder and it was my last loading on hand of that powder. H1000 seems to be in short supply right now so sometimes you have to make other choices. As in fishing- "the best time to fish is when you have time to fish". I have some IMR 7828SSC and IMR 7977 in my shop unopened. These both have load data for 300WM. Does anyone have experience with either of these in comparison to H1000? Any input appreciated.

Hodgdon’s reloading website has multiple bullet selections for both of those powders.. give them a whirl... I am breaking uncertain ground with magpro in 6creedmoor. Check into recommended min/max and let her eat..

Wouldn't you know it. I found a great load for my 300WM using H1000 powder and it was my last loading on hand of that powder. H1000 seems to be in short supply right now so sometimes you have to make other choices. As in fishing- "the best time to fish is when you have time to fish". I have some IMR 7828SSC and IMR 7977 in my shop unopened. These both have load data for 300WM. Does anyone have experience with either of these in comparison to H1000? Any input appreciated.
    Brunos

Many moons ago I used 7828 with very good results. The accuracy was good, however this powder is not very temp stable and I found it fluctuates between cold and hot climates.
    I had better results with RE25, which did not swing as much in velocity.

Cheers.

Retumbo has worked well for me. I don't get the speed H1000 does with 220s or 230 but it's very accurate through a wide range of temps. 27" barrel w/230 OTM @ 2775fps. Rem 9 1/2 primers really hit my numbers down.

RL22 was best for me but 23 works just as good 30 fps slower but “temp stable”
    RL25/26 (temp stable)

When I was actively loading for 300wm my go-to was h4831. Could never find h1000 at the time, retumbo seemed better for the real heavy loads like 220’s. Which bullet are you loading with?

Working with Lapua 175 ScenarL mostly. Ready to go heavier with some 220 I have on hand. I have the 7828SSC and the 7977 sitting on the shelf unopened and just try to use what I have if I do not have H1000. I know I see lots of people using Reloader with good results. it is just not on my self.

What you have will be fine I am sure. So many people get on the bandwagon that there are only 3 or 4 powders made that are worth burning. There are definitely a few that are most preferred but many options out there will yield great results. If you have it on hand, try it out, you may like it...