• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

.300wm ArmaLite AR-30, good choice?

GlockandRoll

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2008
Austin, TX
Considering this, or a 5R remmy with Mcmillan A5 KMW hardware &
CDI bottom metal.

How accurate are the AR30's, anybody in here have experience shooting them?

I was wanting a platform for my Leupy Mk4 LR/T, and AWC ThunderTrap to puse 208AMAX's out to 1000 yards at Long Range Alley.

Re: .300wm ArmaLite AR-30, good choice?

I have one and like it alot. It is a pleasure to shoot. My only dislike is the magazine is a little rattley. For an out of the box rifle it shoots great. I would buy it again.
So far this is my favorite out of the box gun. It is on the large side. If you plan on hunting or carying it long distances I would recomend something else.

Personally, I'd rather have the 5R in an AICS or configured per your specs.

I think Armalite is a fine company but their AR-30s and 50s are rather bulky and heavy for my tastes.

Wieght's not that important, becuase once my AWC ThunderTrap is fitted to the end, it's not really going to be something easy to move with... at least not that far.

What about accuracy?

Part of me thinks that I should just get a Remmy 5R in 300wm and then drop it into an AISC/JAE stock... will only cost a few hundred more and I may gain some accuracy?

I'm running an AR30 in .338LM. The gun is guaranteed 1 MOA, but I've shot it 0.347 5-shot at 100. The gun is a little clunky. The action is loose and rough. But it can outshoot me every time I go out. I shoot it pretty consistently 1 MOA out to 500. I have not legged it out yet. I don't have any experience with the 5R, but I think, based on what I've read, that it would be a better rig.

The deal breaker for me is the stock. The factory stock is a POS. There are some conversion adapters in the works, but nothing available yet.