• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300WM barrel length

sam626

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2011
stilwell, kansas
I just picked up a 700 SPS in 300 and it will be headed to GA Precision pretty soon for a new barrel and to get the action trued. While I'm waiting on that I'll be saving for an AICS 2.0. My big question is do I really need to stick with the 26" barrel? Do any of you guys have any experience with a shorter 300? I'm only thinking about going down to 23-24" It would be nice to be a little more compact especially since it will suppressed most of the time.

Re: 300WM barrel length

Try running a search on 300WM barrel lengths as this topic has been covered pretty extensively (and a couple fairly recent threads too).

I would say that depending on your goals with the rifle, the ammo you'll be shooting and the ranges you plan on reaching out to, that there is nothing wrong with going to around a 24" tube (or shorter) with the only caveat being check with your suppressor mfg to determine what they recommend in terms of barrel length. Not all cans are created equal and some mfgs recommend specific barrel lengths for use with their products to ensure safe and efficient operation.

Re: 300WM barrel length

I shoot a 24" with that suppressor. I wish I had 4 more inches of barrel. By the time you put the can on its no longer handy, just as we'll max out your velocity