• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300wm optimal barrel length?

jwp6114

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2008
Newnan, GA
Just curious what the opinion of you guys shooting 230 bergers say about barrel length and the 230 berger... Is Retumbo the most commonly used powder for this bullet weight?

I appreciate your thoughts in advance.

Jake

From what I've heard from people, 24-26in is the most common long range barrel length for 300wm, and h1000 powder.

Optimal as far a ballistics or combination of handiness/ballistics? I think you'd get some pretty significant gains in fps up to and probably past 30". That being said my current 300wm currently has a 24" barrel, but will likely get a 28" when I have laid away sufficient funds. The 230 Bergers are awesome by the way! I've been using H1000 as I don't have much retumbo to speak of.

This will be a target gun only... Looking to send 230's at highest speed accurately possible. My thought process was more on the lines of 29-30" with retumbo... I understand a faster powder like H-1000 gets you the most speed for a shorter pipe...

Please post speeds with your barrel length and powder choice with this bullet.

I would suggest the longer of available choices, shot at a lower velocity node as a hedge against rapid bore/throat deterioration. Drift and drop are constants, one supersonic velocity is as good as any other as long as one's wind skills are appropriately good, and throat burning velocity will not do you any favors if they aren't. But a barrel that can be shot predictably is a treasure, which deserves to be conserved responsibly.

Greg

Agree but also am ok with spending a barrel every 1.5 years or so... This will not be a rifle that gets high use... Barrel life is not a big factor for this project,

Thanks for all the input thus far.

I just got the 230's last week, & haven't had a chance to run them yet, but I'm getting 2840 with the Hor 225's with H-1000.