• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300WM or 300NM

CBlack

Inquisitive
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2017
Covington, La
Bought a Custom 300WM and also a 300NM. Both are a pleasure to shoot. I enjoy the 300NM the most.

Is there really any benefit to have both? The WM I do not have a precision load yet. The NM I have 2.

Anyone have both and keep them or should I offload the WM?

I don't really see the point in having both to be honest. I'd pick the one you like the most, is easiest to load for, shoots better and offload the other ;)

I would keep both. I also have both those calibers and I shoot the 300wm much more due to cost and barrel life. The WM still reaches out and touches but the Norma does it better. For hunting or practical distances I still shoot the 300wm the most. But it's nice to have the Norma if you so need it with heavier pills.

Bought a Custom 300WM and also a 300NM. Both are a pleasure to shoot. I enjoy the 300NM the most.

Is there really any benefit to have both? The WM I do not have a precision load yet. The NM I have 2.

Anyone have both and keep them or should I offload the WM?

Only advantage to the WM that I can see is the widely available factory ammo option. If that doesn't matter to you, then I would sell the WM.

I've had both barrels for a DT SRS, still own the 300 Norma. The 300 WM barrel I sold is an absolute freak of nature, unbelievably accurate and consistent . I only sold the WM barrel to fund the Norma due to cartridge ADD .

I love the Norma and am going to run it for the foreseeable future, but the 300 WM is no slouch. The WM barrel I sold would make most others , regardless of clambering, look pretty silly . The new owner is equally impressed .

20180210_155737.jpg

Pics or it didn't happen, right ? This is my 300 WM barrel. 17 rounds at 300 yards. Verified by witnesses. 215 Hybrids at 2960 , ES of 9 . The 300 WM will do it . 300 Norma will do it more gooder , because grammar and stuff .

Unless you have a bunch of 300WM ammo lying around I would go with the 300NM. The 300NM does everything that the WM does, but it does it more betterer!

Reactions: Patriots1884
I wouldn't let the difference in price of ammo have any bearing on your decision making. In many cases there is no difference in cost between .300wm and .300wsm ammo and usually when there is a difference, it's a matter of .30+/- cents/round. I had a .300wm for many years then bought a .300wsm because I basically liked the caliber and wanted a light wt. mountain rifle (which my .300wm was not). After a few more years of owning both, I eventually sold the .300wm because the .300wsm turned into my go to mountain rifle and the .300wm turned into a safe queen. Just my .02 cents and, like Justin said, they are both proven rounds, I chose the wsm for the lighter platform, you just need to determine what's important to you.

The 300 Norma mag and 300 win mag are the two rounds in question. But ya, 300 wsm is a good round and I really enjoy my 300wsm hunting guns too.

Reactions: longrangers
Does 300 nm use a magnum or lapua mag bolt face? If rebarreling a rifle I suppose it could make the decision easier one way or another depending on the action.

I guess I took that a bit out if context. But for shooters who already have a donor action the bolt face could make the decision for you.

might have missed it but what do you plan on doing with the rifle.
if ELR type shooting the NM is wonderful, but a 300 WM will get you to 16-1700.
if you are hunting, id go with the WM. ammo is available everywhere(ive forgotten ammo before) and it will put meat on the table just the same.

Thanks for the feedback.

I don't hunt as a hobby, more to participate with the group I'm with so I'm not too concerned about that.

Bought the WM to get into long range precision and then step up into ELR. Got a deal on the NM so bought that to get into the ELR realm more fully.

With the load data I received with the NM, after zeroing at 100, got first round hits at 500, 700, 800, 940 (longest plate at the range).

Looks like I'll be off loading the WM.

Reactions: Jeffd