• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300wm or wsm vs 338 lapua for a mile gun

missloumudcat

Private
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2009
It is all in the name
Hey guys, Happy New Year to you. I am working on a new build for a mile. this will be for shooting a target on a 4x8 sheet of plywood. I have been using my 260, and under right consitions it will get there, but 1 out of 3 shots keyhole and it just gets unpredicatble.

I have a stock, a rem 700 action, a 300wm 31-inch lilja barrel (that could be converted to wsm), and a scope with 60moa on it (will add a 20-30 moa base to help). It would cost alot less to shoot than a 338 lapua.

Any thoughts? Should I just scrap it all and go with a 7wsm?

Thanks,

Mudcat

Re: 300wm or wsm vs 338 lapua for a mile gun

The 7wsm has been doing pretty good out past 1K with the Berger 180s I saw Sierra just announced they will be making 180smks. Here is a pretty good video of a 7wsm at 2K http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5G13N3Yd3w&feature=related. With 30cal Berger 210s at just under 50$per 100 and Sierra 220s right at 40$. The 7mm bullets are a little bit cheaper but not much 180VLDS 47$ per 100 and 175SMKs at 34$ a box. There is only Winchester brass currently available for the 7wsm Unless you necked down some 300wsm brass then you can use Nosler Norma Federal and Remington brass. One thing to look at is the BC's of the 7mm bullets are very decent. 180 Berger's .659 Sierra 175s .608
I just ordered some Matrix Ballistics 168s VLDs with a claimed BC of 0.713. They also sell 190s with a BC of 0.807 The 168s are 44$ per box and the 190s are 45$ per box.

There isnt anything wrong with having more than one rifle....if you are considering 338Lapua then you have the money, build both.

BUT food for thought, if all you are planning on doing is punching paper at that distance the personally I would go the 300WM route....I had one and loved it, I didnt get a chance to take it to a mile but it will definitely get there....launch a 208 Amax or a 210 Berger VLD at about 2950 and your golden....or even load the 190's hot....

If you already have a barrel, I'd stick with the WM. It'll get you to a mile with 208/210's with no problem. If you were starting scratch then you have a lot of options, but I personally like the WM for an all around great cartridge with a ton of available load data and great brass and bullet options.

Hell go with something cool with that length of barrel like a 300lapua, everyone has a 300win! But the 300win will do just fine, throw some 208gr Amaxes and H1000 and your there, piece of cake!

The 300WM is more than adequate for the mile shot. I've taken my 22" shooting 208's a LOT further than that. However, depending on your altitude, you may need a new scope if you want to keep your 100 yd. zero. At sea level and 30 deg F, I show 70 moa (208's @ 3000 fps).

Even if you change your zero, you may still want a new scope, because once you see how easy it is to hit at a mile... you're going to want to keep going.
grin.gif

What is your altitude and .260 load? I'm surprised they're keyholing.

John

I am shooting HSM loaded 123 scenars out of a 28-inch Pac-Nor barrel on a 700 action. I get 2880fps with a SD of about 15, very well loaded. I shoot in Louisiana/ Mississippi. Range varies from 50-ft to 300-ft above sea level. temp and Den-alt play huge factors when I go past 1000 with that load, but man inside 1k, my 260 is a laser.

If money isn't an issue, go with the .338. Otherwise, you can get more practice for the same amount of money with the wsm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MissLou Mudcat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am shooting HSM loaded 123 scenars out of a 28-inch Pac-Nor barrel on a 700 action. I get 2880fps with a SD of about 15, very well loaded. I shoot in Louisiana/ Mississippi. Range varies from 50-ft to 300-ft above sea level. temp and Den-alt play huge factors when I go past 1000 with that load, but man inside 1k, my 260 is a laser. </div></div>

Sounds like you're optimized for shorter distances and most accurate load (velocity with 123's from a 28" barrel look a little low). Have you tried any 139/140/142's for the mile shot?

John

No problem. I just ordered a barrel for my .260 build and I have every intention of using it to at least a mile.
wink.gif
I do have the advantage of shooting at 4000', but I know that Tom Sarver is making mile hits (on 12x12 steel) with his and he's a LOT lower elev. than I am. He's shooting 142 SMK's. You might just start there, since they obviously go transonig well.

John

Im a big fan of the 7mmWSM and SAUM so im bias to say they are great choices... but then again I also love the .338 Lapua

I think they are two very different rounds and in that regard owning both would not be out of the question but I would likely get the 7mm first just based on the fact that it has better projectiles available.

I am going to have to sit back and think it out. having the 300wm barrel and a long action is good. But I think I would have to get a magnum action so I can do more than single shot. I have a 700 SA that came off a 270wsm, and I could rebarrel in 7wsm. I love that 168VLD pill in 7mm. Before I stupidly sold my 7-mag sendero, it was shooting great out to a mile with those bullets. I am really leaning to 300wm with 208-210bullets just based on ammo availability and data though. Thanks for all the input. gives me stuff to think about.

Both of my 300 WM's loved RL22 with the 210 Bergers jammed about ten thou....with Winchester brass and Fed Primers on a factory chamber I was stuffing about 74ish grains in the case to get about 2850fps, With my custom it took about 72.7gr for the same velocity, also jammed about ten thou.

I shot the best group of my life with a PSS 300WM that had some work done to the FACTORY equipment, 3 rounds measured 0.87" CTC at 515 yards with 5 minutes between each shot....Ive had plenty at 2" at this distance but have never been able to repeat .87"!! Of course all with handloads.

From what I remember there were alot of us getting accuracy nodes at about 2850 and a hair under 3000, (2850 being the best groups)...and I knew a couple guys pushing them almost to 3100fps (NOT recommended!).

If you want more information than you care to learn look at some of Rob01's posts regarding the 300 WM, he knows ALOT about this round and shoots it out to a mile and beyond. I think he bangs steel to 1500 regularly with his.

I was just reading a great 3-page thread on a similar topic. Seems the 260 and the 300wm seemed to dominate it. at 50-ft above sealevel, where I shoot, I should be able to get the 210VLD at 3100fps to a mile in less than 63MOA. that usually takes my 260 with 123's about 80-82, depending on conditions. according to the NF ballisitc program, it will remain supersonic to 1800 if conditions are ideal. We will see. I am goin to move forward with the 300wm build seeing I have all components, except a magnum action. My scope is the 3.5-15 NF varminter, with 72 MOA available (checked yesterday) and I have a 40 MOA rail. reticule is NP-RR1, that gives another 20 MOA I believe in hold over at 4, 8, 12, 15, 20 on 15x.

HSM loads 210s at 3050 out of the 27.5inch barrle, mine is 30inches, so I assume I could get 3100fps. If not, 3050fps will get it done.

$750 and I am in a rifle that will be fun to shoot a little anyway. If it turns out to be a winner (assumming I do my part), then I'll just be that much luckier.

I'll keep you posted. gonna have her ready to roll in March.

Mudcat

I would have the 31 inch Lilja rachambered for 300 Ultramag. I assume its a 10 twist since its currently chambered in Winmag. With that length tube you could use any of the extra heavy bullets (if action and magazine are accomodating) at some impressive velocities!!

just .02 from a 300RUM fan!

tater

Well "almost" any bullet. A 10 twist isn't enough for some of the monometal bullets out there and might not be enough for the 240's (at the mile mark).

tater

noob question. are 300wsm rifles short action or do they need to be long? was wondering if a .308 rifle could one day be a 300wsm.
thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sackett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">noob question. are 300wsm rifles short action or do they need to be long? was wondering if a .308 rifle could one day be a 300wsm.
thanks</div></div>

300WSM is short action. That is really the only advantage of the WSM over the standard 300WM, in addition to the lack of the belt. You would have to completely ream a new, larger diameter chamber, so I think it would be more practical to just go with a new receiver and keep the 308.

i 2 am building a 300wm the reasons are brass,bullet selection,USMC just changed over,easy resale. going to work up a 210gr. or220gr.with Huskamaw Longrange scope and mounts!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniper4u</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i 2 am building a 300wm the reasons are brass,bullet selection,USMC just changed over,easy resale. going to work up a 210gr. or220gr.with Huskamaw Longrange scope and mounts!!</div></div>

will you paint your rifle too?

All,

I built up a 338 LM for a buddy and we shoot it regularly past 2000. 29" rc 5r 1 in 9.75 twist on a trued 700 action in an AI chassis w/ night force optics, surefire titanium supressor.

We chrono a little short off the muzzle, < 10' and Lapua factory 250gr Scenar runs right around 2950. Swiss munitions 252 was about 2900 on avg. And the performance and wind bucking at distance is amazing! Holds are very easy and minimum wind errors are a beautiful thing!

If you're planning to shoot XLR often I'd really consider the 338 but they are costly to feed!

If you're mostly shooting in the sub mile ranges the 300wm is an awesome rd and there is tons of data and benchmarks!

Not to mention the cost effectiveness!

Good hunting!!!! Lol...

W

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniper4u</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i 2 am building a 300wm the reasons are brass,bullet selection,USMC just changed over,easy resale. going to work up a 210gr. or220gr.with Huskamaw Longrange scope and mounts!! </div></div>
Dont forget the Hornady .208 amax I am having excellent results working up a load and would recommend anyone working on 300 Win Mag load development get some and try them out. And they are finally AVAILABLE on a regular basis at most big box online stores AND they are still affordable. With a .648 BC too