• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300WM question

Quackaddict

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2009
Minnesota
Hey All,

I have been doing some research and have a few questions I hope you folks can help me out with.

I have been looking at getting into a 300WM for a capable elk rifle. I need a reasonably light rifle that will get me to around 350-400 yds on game and 700 yards on steel. I have dies for 300WM and I am familiar with loading for this round so it is a natural choice.

I have been looking at rifle lately and the savage series has got me intrigued. Specifically the LRH and the 116 Bear hunter. I prefer the features of the bear hunter but the 21inch barrel has me thinking I could cut the 300 off at the knees velicity and energy wise. Has anyone got any experience with this length of barrel in 300WM? What could I expect to get out of 180grn slugs in regards to velocity?

Has anyone ever put a bottom metal in a standard sporter stock?

Thanks for your time!

Re: 300WM question

I have no experience as to velocity, but having a .300 short like that would probably screw it on the shooter's end. You would have increased muzzle blast, tons of recoil, and slightly reduced velocity. In my opinion, not worth it because the rifle isn't taking advantage of all the power that the cartridge has to offer. Savage is a good choice, though; I have two and absolutely love them (except for the cheesy stock and heavy trigger). That LRH looks like a winner, and I have been considering buying one for a while. I haven't ever put a bottom metal in a standard sporter stock before, sorry. Good luck in your pursuit Quackaddict and let us know what you decide!

I think if I was going to a 21 inch or so 308, I'd stick to an 308 or '06. The short barrel would defeat the purpose of a 300 WM. A lot of muzzle flash and loss of velocity.

This question gets asked about once a month and is usually answered by a raft of guys who don't actually have any real life experience with the subject matter. I have a 22" 300WM and it is far from neutered. 180 Fusions run right at 3000 fps in my rifle. It will punch 1/2" holes in 3/8 plate steel at 600 yds. with 208 Amax's. Could I get more velocity with a longer barrel? Sure. As it is I shoot past 2000 yds. with it. Disadvantaged? I think not.

Now, you may not get these velocities out of a factory rifle, but how much do you NEED? Even launched at 2800 fps that 180 gr bullet is going to do a lot of damage for a fair distance. I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end.

As far as muzzle flash, I can't say that the flash (if there is any) from my rifle has ever distracted me during daylight hours and I rarely shoot it at night... so I don't see that being an issue.

If Savage offers a factory rifle with a 21" barrel, and that's what you want, I'm sure that none of the animals you kill with it will know that it was an emasculated version of the mighty 300WM.

John

I agree with John. Hell if Barrett puts out a Bravo 98 338 LM with a 20" barrel, i am sure a 300WM will do just fine with the same length barrel.

The issue is not so much velocity rather bullet and powder combinations. As John already stated a 180 grain bullet moving at 2800 fps is more then adequate for what you want to do. And the above mentioned rifle will accomplish that goal.

Now if your intended purpose is to see the full potential of the 300 WM and utilize the case capacity to its fullest then a short barreled rifle is not the best tool for the job. Also John mentioned his rifle and what he has accomplished with it. John has proven the a short barreled 300 WM can do well even at ELR distances. However this is more a matter what an accomplished shooter can do when shooting a quality rifle that is familiar to them.

My personal experience in the world of 300 magnums is with the weatherby magnum and not the Winchester magnum. And from this experience I would be willing to say that any cartridge with these types of case capacities simply will never realize their full potential with short barrels. Thus I would never build a 300 magnum on a short barreled rifle. And if I were the OP and wanted a short barreled hunting rifle for those distances I would get something chambered in 30-06. 30-06 is plenty capable of pushing 180 grain bullet at 2700+ fps and is better suited for the stated needs of the OP.

Every rifle has its own quirks. I have built NUMEROUS 300 WM rifles and no 2 are the same. Same reamer, same twist, etc but they ALL have individual characteristics.....meaning no load works the same for each. One will like .2 less powder, some .2 more from my starting load. I believe that, BASED ON POWDER USED, a 24" barrel works well for that caliber. Reread.......BASED ON POWDER USED is a very definite factor in what you seek

My elk rifle is an old Model 70 XTR Sporter, 24" barrel, in a McMillan featherweight stock. It carries well and groups fine for 3-4 shots. Last elk was with a 180gr at a lasered 656 yards.(I'm an okay shot but not a great hunter, hence the distance.) I don't think cutting down the barrel will get you what you want at those distances with the heavies. It would probably lose 300-450 fps MV, depending on the loading.

I have to agree with jrob 300. My buddy and I both run 300WM in comps.and for hunting. He run a 22in barrel and is getting 2850fps with 220gr SMK. I run a 24in barrel and push 210 VLDs 2800fps. Both rifles shoot better than a 1/2 MOA out to 300yds.

I say buy the rifle it should be perfect for whatever you want to do with it.