• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 300wm rifle recommendation for Elk hunt

Dakotabob

Private
Minuteman
May 13, 2018
Midwest
I recently won an elk tag lottery and will be hunting this coming fall. I plan to use a 300 WM hunting rifle for this hunt. Finding the ideal rifle has been challenging.

My budget is sub-2k, ideally closer to 1500 or even (best case) 1k as I will also be investing in an angled Razor HD spotting scope. The riflescope will be a Razor Gen1 5-20x50 with vortex precision rings.

Some of the items on my wishlist include a muzzle brake ideally already factory installed, but aftermarket would also be fine. Weight is a factor as the RazorHD is already a heavy scope, and I plan to have a strap, perhaps bipod on it as well (or could use tripod). Hoping for your thoughts on ideal setup.

I and am a bit enamored of the possibility of AICS on 300WM. Not sure if this is wise or not for a hunt, but if not a problem I’d swing AI compatibility. Something very weather resistant and geared towards hunting rather than tactical/bench would be perfect. I prefer non-shiny barrels if possible. I’m willing to spend more than my ideal budget to make the best possible choice. I love great triggers and hope for a super trigger on this hunting rifle.

Some of what has caught my eye so far include the Bergara B14 HMR, Ruger Hawkeye FTW and LRT, Christiansen Arms Mesa w/brake; Browning Xbolt Hell’s canyon;, Kimber subalpine. Just learned about Fierce firearms, not sure of model.

I called Bergara to talk about 300WM offerings in the B14 as listed in the catalog, but the focus this summer seems to be on 6.5 Creedmoor and there’s no sense of if/when the win mag may be released yet. Same with the Ruger LRT that also looks great to me on paper, but with no assurance that they’ll be ready for fall. I want to practice throughout the summer to be ready for the Fall hunt.

I’m stuck after weeks of research and am very grateful for your thoughts and recommendations on 300wm rifle, as well as best matched rounds for elk with that rifle (focus on preserving (not destroying) as much of the animal as possible). Thanks in advance for your insight. It means a lot to me.

I might look at this and this. When it's time to go hunting I love me some Sako.

Either is cheap enough that you can install an area 419 MB and you are GTG.

Reactions: onepointsixklicks
Congrats on scoring a tag and have been skunked the last 4 years in my home state of NM. The 300 WM is one of my favorite calibers and have a McM hunting rifle in that caliber. That being said, we have killed many elk with a 270 Win and 30-06 over the years at distances from 100-500 yards. Since most of our hunts are at elevation in mountainous terrain, weight is a critical factor and try to keep the rifle as light as possible. If you plan on humping a spotting scope and tripod it even becomes more critical. If you go the 300WM route with a light rifle I would highly recommend having a brake installed. The Sako's that Diver listed in his post are very good rifles as well as the Tikka's.

Reactions: diverdon
A Sako is hard to beat for a good price, weight, high quality, and accuracy.

Have a buddy who has one with factory muzzle break he is looking to part with if you are interested, shoot me a PM.

Where are you hunting what kind of shape are you in? 300 WM is a great Elk round, if you are packing a heavy rifle in the mountains and in marginal shape you are going to be dragging ass. Unless you are truck hunting with little walking I would go as light as you can handle because pounds = pain in the mountains. If you are in physical shape of a rutting bull elk then you can pack a heavier gun but light is right in my experience. My go to is a 7mm RUM that weighs all in 7.83lbs. Being in shape will trump everything else you do with shooting skills being second. You have to be able to shoot quickly from any position because elk do not stand still they are almost always on the move.

A factory Sako carrys a 5 shot 1 MOA guarantee with quality ammo iirc.
Tikka is a tad cheaper and does that for 3 shot group.
I shoot both in factory configuration.
My Tikka T3 .308 puts 3 right around 3/4”. Then needs a rest. Doesnt like a hot barrel. Only ever needed 1 shot hunting though.

Why havent you made a decision and replied 14 times yet? Your gonna fail as a Hider if you dont become more obsessive.....

Thank you all so much for your incredibly helpful replies. powdahound76, you can count on my replies more regularly now!
I really appreciate all of your insight and recommendations. The elk tag is for ND on the western border with Montana. Cow only (antlerless), no size restriction. This is a once-in-a-lifetime tag for this state, lottery only. I've had my name in for over 5 yrs but didn't expect it so soon. I am incredibly excited.

Yesterday I spent much of the day going to shops and holding about 10 different win mag setups to get a feel for what's out there.
I was impressed with the Sako/Tikka offerings and I'm sensing that there's a lot of love for those rifles on this forum too.
I already own a T3 CTR in 308 (stainless) and was successful in my whitetail hunt w/that rifle at 250 yards, throat shot that filled the freezer with roasts and jerky/sausage/sticks nicely. I smoked the backstrap on apple/cherrywood and it came out amazingly (been really getting into smoking and BBQ these past years). Last year I shot my whitetail with bow, a Hoyt Vector Turbo 65# w/Monteq g5 fixed broadhead, HHA optimizer kingpin sight. Rifle tags are rare in this state now and bow has been a mainstay but w/the elk tag I've got 300win mag on my mind constantly.

Yesterday I spent time with the
  • Browning Xbolt Hell’s canyon
  • Christiansen Mesa and Ridgeline
  • Weatherby Vanguard (several)
  • Kimber Mountain Ascent
  • Sako a7, Finnlight, Tikka t3
  • Rem 700 (various)
  • Bergara hmr14 and hunter series
I worked the bolts on all of these. I found the Sako/Tikkas and the Bergaras to have the best feeling bolts (for me). I wished that they had some Rugers for me to compare, I have had my eye on the FTW hunter for a while and would have liked to compare it.

Even though it is a little heavier I was very attracted to the Bergara HMR-14. The bolt was really, really good (for me). The trigger felt very good. Although I have gotten too used to double-stage triggers from my Geissele SSA-E, that a single stage trigger feels unpredictable to me. Just habit I think. Does anyone use a double-stage trigger when hunting (Timney/Jewell?).

What are your thoughts on the Bergara HMR, should I try to find the HMR Pro, or go even higher in their line? Or does the HMR offer features that are unnecessary, and I could go to their b14 hunter/ridgeline model. Thanks for your thoughts guys I really appreciate your time and watch for replies often.

I was just ribbing you about replies. Always a lot of that around here.

I would say acceptable weight depends on the hunt, topography, and how much hiking you will do, as well as your fitness.
Fitness is key. Last year I lifted, ran, and did the stairmaster a ton. You cant be too fit. I havent stopped this year, running more and faster so my cardio is pretty good for an old dad (according to the kids).

I say 8-9 lbs makes a good walking rifle. Super light is less easy for me to shoot well. My Tikka T3 does well and is around 7.2 lbs, though I have practiced a lot. Mostly with a light 22 bolt action and some with the Tikka.

I agree on action smoothness of the ones you have mentioned. Same buddy who has the Sako A7 for sale had a Ruger Hawkeye in 300 WM that was not even in the same league in smoothness. Rough, heavy lift, crap trigger (heavy and lots of “squish”). Shot ok but wasnt blown away and the other stuff made me not buy it when he sold it.

Its nice you can get hands on many nice rifles.
I have never heard anyone not like their Sako. Ever.

Now, I will warn you I am an old Elmer Keith type throwback type up front. Being that I am a big guy that is partial to heavy rifles I like the Remington Model 700 5-R Stainless Threaded Gen 2 rifle. At 8.5lbs. without a scope I personally like the weight to steady the aim but not everyone would. It fits my personal hunting style as I went high to the top of the Continental Divide and glassed down, east of Jackson Hole. WY. Me personally, I hunted with a custom .375 H&H by Dale Story of Casper, Wyoming he built for me . I hunted down into blowdown timber where shooting was sort of like jump shooting whitetails. Dale talked me into the .375 H&H as that was what he used. I have to say it was the sweetest mildest shooting rifle I ever owned. Yes you herd that right! the way Dale set that rifle up I would take that .375 H&H to shoot all day of the bench before I would take my custom .30-06 as the .375 H&H's felt recoil was like a .243. AMAZING! Not to mention with the proper 300gr. controlled expansion bullets you could put a round in the south end of north bound elk and it would come out the chest. It would drive tacks and was a pleasure to shoot even off the bench. With that cartridge if I ran into a Grizzly with a mad on at hand shaking distances in the blowdown I could make a serious impression on him. Of course back then the head of the Wyoming Game and Fish used to tell us who were teaching hunter safety classes to convey that if you shot a Grizzly "you better have claw marks on you"; which he and I had a major disagreement over.

+1 for the SAKO rifles. I have an A5 stainless 300WM that will kill clay pigeons at 600 all day long if I'm not pulling my shots. Been using it for the last 6 years.

I shot my first couple of elk with a 300WM and have since switched to a 260 (tikka ctr) to conserve weight and recoil. That said, you can't go wrong with the 300, fantastic caliber! Shoots flat and lot's of knockdown power. Will you be doing much stalking/hiking, or are you hunting from horseback? You'll have to weigh the options of a lighter weight rifle with greater recoil and less hiking weight, vs a heavy rifle with less recoil but more strenuous to carry all day. Hopefully, it will only be one or two shots, and in the moment you won't feel the recoil, but you ultimately need to decide where you want to be on the weight spectrum. You can get a number of great rifles in the price range you're looking at. All the ones mentioned above, plus Savage. Remember that an elk is a big target, the kill zone is quite large, so sub moa accuracy is not your deciding factor. I'd focus more on weight and comfort of shooting, rather than a getting from 1moa to 1/2 moa.

I have a bergara ridge coming to my NFL soon. It's offered in a 300wm but mine will be a 7 mag. Also for elk hunting.

Remember that you're probably going to be carrying that thing quite a ways.

HS Precision or Sako

I’ve been pretty happy with my SAKO Finnlight in .300WSM. I’m not sure what it weighs with the Swaro 4-16 but it’s nice to pack. Better hold on tight when you pull the trigger, doesn’t have a lot of felt recoil, but there is a “kick” to it. I’m thinking about trying a brake or maybe even a sling. It’s not a lot of fun at the range off a bench

It likes 180 gr Accubond factory ammo, easily rings 600 yd gong, killed a couple milk jugs at 800. I’d guess it’s sub MOA but it sucks to shoot paper with so I can’t tell you for sure. In real life my kill shots have been in the 250-350 range.

Last edited:
Reactions: BCX
I have always had good luck w Sakos shooting.

I was in the same place two years ago down to the ND cow elk tag.
The ND terrain is not what you'd call "mountainous", but it can take a lot of walking to find elk. IMO lighter is better.

I'm a lefty, so my choices were a lot more limited, and I wanted a 7mm Rem Mag. I went with a Remington 700, and it did the job, but if I were to do it again, I'd get a Tikka T3. Sounds like you already got a scope. If not, I'd look hard at a Leupold Vx6. They're good glass and (comparatively) very lightweight.

I recently won an elk tag lottery and will be hunting this coming fall. I plan to use a 300 WM hunting rifle for this hunt. Finding the ideal rifle has been challenging.

My budget is sub-2k, ideally closer to 1500 or even (best case) 1k as I will also be investing in an angled Razor HD spotting scope. The riflescope will be a Razor Gen1 5-20x50 with vortex precision rings.

Some of the items on my wishlist include a muzzle brake ideally already factory installed, but aftermarket would also be fine. Weight is a factor as the RazorHD is already a heavy scope, and I plan to have a strap, perhaps bipod on it as well (or could use tripod). Hoping for your thoughts on ideal setup.

I and am a bit enamored of the possibility of AICS on 300WM. Not sure if this is wise or not for a hunt, but if not a problem I’d swing AI compatibility. Something very weather resistant and geared towards hunting rather than tactical/bench would be perfect. I prefer non-shiny barrels if possible. I’m willing to spend more than my ideal budget to make the best possible choice. I love great triggers and hope for a super trigger on this hunting rifle.

Some of what has caught my eye so far include the Bergara B14 HMR, Ruger Hawkeye FTW and LRT, Christiansen Arms Mesa w/brake; Browning Xbolt Hell’s canyon;, Kimber subalpine. Just learned about Fierce firearms, not sure of model.

I called Bergara to talk about 300WM offerings in the B14 as listed in the catalog, but the focus this summer seems to be on 6.5 Creedmoor and there’s no sense of if/when the win mag may be released yet. Same with the Ruger LRT that also looks great to me on paper, but with no assurance that they’ll be ready for fall. I want to practice throughout the summer to be ready for the Fall hunt.

I’m stuck after weeks of research and am very grateful for your thoughts and recommendations on 300wm rifle, as well as best matched rounds for elk with that rifle (focus on preserving (not destroying) as much of the animal as possible). Thanks in advance for your insight. It means a lot to me.
If it were me...I'd contact redneckboxer on this forum He had a nice Sako 75 ss in 300 wsm for 750.00 put a 500 McMillan stock on it and call it a day...The Sako 75 is lot nicer than a A7 or Tikka...having said that my son has a Sako A7 300 WM...with a McMillan that doesn't need a muzzle brake I thought it was pleasant to shoot....and I'm not big on recoil....

Browning BAR 200yds quartering away while in a gallop 1 shot dropped like she was hit with a lightning bolt 180gr Barnes

Attachments

• elk.jpg
    elk.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 61
Got to love the 30 cal for hunting.

I’ve traded my heavier 260 for Christensen arms classic 300 wm and dropped it into Manners eh5. It’s 7 lbs and 4 oz without optic and under 10 lbs ready to go with Chronus BTR

Attachments

• 0382F2F5-940D-44E8-8E5B-DE1AEA48BC31.jpeg
    0382F2F5-940D-44E8-8E5B-DE1AEA48BC31.jpeg
    432.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 37D14F17-91DF-4A98-92A0-D2287AB24CB6.jpeg
    37D14F17-91DF-4A98-92A0-D2287AB24CB6.jpeg
    447.1 KB · Views: 53
I have been using a 300wm in a Sako A7 Big Game Hunter. Works great 4 big game animals down, one shot each. I want to say its right around 10lbs with a Leupold VX3i. I think 10lbs is good for a 300wm.....