• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 300WM Shots before cooling

Fester47

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2011
Hoosier
Sorry did a search and got nothing. Being barrel conservative as could be with a 300wm.
I have a Rem 700 sporting a Hart Heavy Palma barrel. My load is hot with 208 amax at 2900fps.
What would be a good shooting cycle. Shoot 5 and cool for 10min?
Thank you everyone

Re: 300WM Shots before cooling

O and lets say it's 50*F one day and 90*F the next

New guy gets the cold shoulder. Or is this in the wrong place? Stupid question?

I should just use common scents and try to stop pulling the trigger when I think its to hot.

Just don't over heat it if it doesn't need to be. If you have time to let it cool down it won't hurt.

it's like good woman, treat it good most of the time.but you can get by with doggin it out every once in a while too. 5 and cool if ya can. move range target shoot. that helps keep things cool if your shooting setup allows

If its too hot to hold (on too) its too hot to shoot (in recreational situations).

So, just take you time; at about 2 minutes per shot, you can shoot almost indefinately.

I use the if it's too hot to touch, then it's too hot to shoot. But I doubt if there is any scientific evidence to say on way or another.

I shoot 190gr mtk's thru mine at 2900 fps,with a factory
barrel.4 or 5 rnds and that is it for me. shot a 8rnd
string once found it was to much .

Wnen I shot a 300 WM in 1000 yard matches I would shoot one round ever 35-45 seconds, depending on the pit service.

Sure the gun got hot, but I'd loose less points by shooting fast then I would lose in elimanating as many wind changes as possible.

Plus the fact, when you may be shooting three matches a day (20 shots in 30 min, plus sighters, in Any rifle/any sights, any rifle iron sights, and a team match) You have a fatigue factor that kicks in, the less time the less fatigue.

Of course I was using a retalively heavy barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bryce6750</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What would be a good shooting cycle. Shoot 5 and cool for 10min?</div></div>

Probably do just as well with 1 shot every 2 minutes.

If there is no reason to shoot fast then do not. I have burned out whole 10rd mags from my 300WM and I have shot one round every 10 min. I personally like to shoot very slow. The weather has changed and each shot is almost truly new. The rifle stays cool to the touch.

1 shoot every 2 mins is good advice for at the range with a magnum. Feel the barrel. If it gets hot on the outside think how hot it is on the inside. Most people can touch about 140degF for just a few seconds.

Thanks everyone. Good advice here. I need to learn to slow down a bit with the magnum and race the conditions with the smaller rounds. I am already cheating with the high BC bullets so let them do there job and try to save some barrel life.