• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 300wsm barrel length 20' nonsense?

Schleifalot

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2006
Bavarian Forrest, Germany
Q: Is a 20 inch barrel in 300wsm a workable option, or only a fireball maker?

I own a 308 win custom rifle with a 20' barrel. Now I am considering whether or not to ream a 300 wsm chamber in this rifle.
Can I expect usable v0, or do I get just a loud 308.

It will still be faster than a 308 but it will be a loud flame thrower and waisted powder if you are using slow burning magnum powders. Just my two cents if you are going to stay at 20" then go 30-06 it will be faster than a 308 and less waisted FPS and powder and you can keep the bolt face the same which you can't do with going to the 300 wsm.

Montrose

I recently went through this debacle. The fact that proof only makes pre-fits for the TL3 in 24" settled this for me. I've also come to the conclusion it's waster powder and barrel life. For mags, stick with 24"+. For medium sized cases you can get away with 20". The 300wsm in a short action will save you like 1-1.5" just in action length alone and some weight so make sure you factor that in.

On a side note, the 300 wsm seems to be an ideal versatile hunting round with flat shooting 15 grains bullets for deer and bigger 200-210 grain bullets for large game like elk and bear. Get a can or a good brake with ear protection and you should be good to go.

My sweet spot for the WSM is 23 inches. Shoot the factory Hornady 200gr eldx right at 2800fps. Can't complain about that for a 23" gun with factory ammo. Haven't hand loaded for this one yet. Probably won't as I load for too much other stuff right now.

Reactions: Geno C.