• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300wsm / H1000 / 178 Amax

Icallem

Football Ref
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2011
N. Central MO
I have found myself with several pounds of H1000. I have been loading 4831 in my 300wsm and somebody ask me if I had tried the H1000 in the short mag. When looking for load data I find nothing unless I want to shoot 208 class bullets. I really like the 178 out of this rifle but would not mind looking into the H1000.

Is the H1000 just to slow for the lighter weight? Has anybody tried this combo?

I read most of the 8 pages in the Reloading section on 300wm / 300wsm, but most of that thread geared towards the 300wm.

I would venture to say that combo wouldn't yield top speed and may make for some nice muzzle flash. Looks like no one has tried it...

I guess I will have to use it in the 300wm, as it looks like you can use it with about any weigh bullet. Or, sell the H1000!

I guess I will have to use it in the 300wm, as it looks like you can use it with about any weigh bullet. Or, sell the H1000!

I'd run a ladder of it just to check (single load at each step until you hit pressure and see what speed they produce), I wouldn't be surprised if it yeilds good results, unless you're running a short barrel (less than 26"). Worst case you don't get the performance you get from a faster powder and you save it for the 300WM.

I've started loading it and Retumbo in my 7WSM with 162's in a 24" barrel and it's yeilding some of the best speeds from that combo (RL25 was faster speed but not consistent), where most of the published data suggested otherwise in favor of faster powders. Granted there's probably a bit of a fire show coming out the other end as well but it's performing VERY well.