• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300WSM short barrel/twist with factory ammo

K2e2vin

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2014
I'm looking to build a rifle around ammo that's available on the shelf (180gr & 200gr loads). What's a short barrel length I can get away with and what twist? Looking to shoot 1000yds(that's furthest I can shoot back home in NC, though I'm in CO right now). Only similar build I can find was here: http://huntbackcountry.com/300wsm-cut-to-185-inches where they loss 75fps going from 24" to 18.7" w/ Federal 180gr Trohpy Bonded Tips. Would there be any improvement in going with a faster twist than factory with a short barrel? The rifle will be suppressed next year when I go back home. TIA!

20-40 fps per inch speed loss

also determine what speeds get you to 1800fps/1500 foot pounds or whatever you determine you need for the game you're hunting

if you're not hunting a 300WSM with factory ammo is a very poor choice

Reactions: K2e2vin
A faster twist should theoretically yield lower velocity because more of the released energy is being put into spinning the bullet instead of velocity. For shooting only up to 200 grainers, 10 or 11 twist should work fine

20-40 fps per inch speed loss

also determine what speeds get you to 1800fps/1500 foot pounds or whatever you determine you need for the game you're hunting

if you're not hunting a 300WSM with factory ammo is a very poor choice
I haven't hunt past 200yards(tbf, I haven't really hunted outside of NC), but just looking to build a multi-purpose rifle. Factory ammo desired for convenience/time (I travel for work).

i'd look at 308 or 6.5CM if you're mainly target shooting with some hunting tossed in (especially if only to 200y)

you'll have a lot more prefit barrel options and they all have plenty of factory ammo. just have to buy what you want when it's available. i'd never count on finding ammo at a hunt location. if you're bringing the rifle when you travel for work then bring the ammo too

if you're building a rifle
zermatt origin
proof prefit barrels (front range precision has all of these options in stock)
steel 6.5CM/308 for target shooting
carbon 300WSM or 6.5PRC, or 7SAUM for hunting (if you need more distance/energy than a 6.5CM/308 offers for hunting distances you intend)

hornady, berger, federal all make match and hunting ammo

in today's day and age dont compromise with 1 cartridge, especially a 300WSM for both target and hunting with factory ammo. prefit barrels are super easy. 5 minutes and i can go from 223 to 6Dasher, to 7SS/338SS on my origin. trainer, comp gun, hunting.

I already have an M&P10 in .308, though I've been using my brother's 300WM and really like the performance(flatter and hits gongs much harder/louder), hence building a rifle in a similar caliber. One of the ROs takes his 308 to 1000yards but he has a 30" bbl, I'm kind of aiming for something that's easier to transport(especially in a car).

you can take a 308 or 6.5CM to 1000y no problem. even with a 20" barrel

even after all these years AI still sells 20" 308 AT and AXSA rifles. that's not an accident

For reference.
20” 300WSM, 10 twist Bartlein barrel. Factory Norma 180 Bondstrike is just over 2,900 fps.

74BC9D22-AEC8-4C8E-9DC4-254D2F89738E.jpeg
00954B1D-E978-46C6-9DBE-81C25EB14FA4.jpeg

I went 24" 9 twist 5R and it slings Fed 180 MeatEater coppers at average 3060 ES 13fps over 10 shot string 500ft elevation 71F.

It's a little portly at 9.5lbs (via bathroom scale so +/- 0.25lbs-ish) all up but I don't mind, sorta like Xtrem's rig above.

I hunt with a early Kimber Montana, in 300WSM,, FWIW, It has no trouble out to about 600, It could likely shoot farther but its sooo light that you have to control it through the recoil. Not easy with 180 Accubonds. its a < 8 lb gun fully fitted. MIne loves 180's 165's shoot OK but not at the longer distances.. Montana's have never been known to be a 1 hole gun,,, more like a "Minus elk-OA"

My brothers 300RUM kicks less. But weighs about 2x more.. He recently acquired a Sako in 7mm WSM and what a sweetheart. Mine may get downsized when the barrel gives up, or I just cant take the recoil any more.. Makes me wonder if you like the WSM footprint, the 7 would be a better choice? Lots of good ELD 7mm Bullets out there,, I believe there are also dies for a 6.5WSM..
Be fun to try one in a chassis setup.

I hunt with a early Kimber Montana, in 300WSM,, FWIW, It has no trouble out to about 600, It could likely shoot farther but its sooo light that you have to control it through the recoil. Not easy with 180 Accubonds. its a < 8 lb gun fully fitted. MIne loves 180's 165's shoot OK but not at the longer distances.. Montana's have never been known to be a 1 hole gun,,, more like a "Minus elk-OA"

My brothers 300RUM kicks less. But weighs about 2x more.. He recently acquired a Sako in 7mm WSM and what a sweetheart. Mine may get downsized when the barrel gives up, or I just cant take the recoil any more.. Makes me wonder if you like the WSM footprint, the 7 would be a better choice? Lots of good ELD 7mm Bullets out there,, I believe there are also dies for a 6.5WSM..
Be fun to try one in a chassis setup.
I actually thought a lot about the 7wsm but ended up going with a Tikka in 300wsm. I bought a spare factory 6.5PRC barrel for it though, and the rifle originally came with a 7rm barrel that I still have. It's currently just set up range shooting but the other barrels lighten it up a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_20220807_175724.jpg
    IMG_20220807_175724.jpg
    433.8 KB · Views: 18