• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

303 Savage

BECKS7

Sergeant
Minuteman
I just got one today, a family friend called my up and told me that he had just found it in the closet and it was mine if I wanted it.
Its a savage 1895 .303 savage.
Now the local shops didnt have any ammo for it, seems it isnt made anymore.
Anyone have any idea how to make it, or were I can get components for this guy?

Anyone out there have one, know anything about them?
Any help would be hugely appreciated guys.

Thanks

Re: 303 Savage

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Winchester 69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Graf catalog shows Norma and Bertram brass for 303 Savage. </div></div>Thanks, just looking on there site now.

Prvi Partizan is offered in the recent Graf flyer. It's possible to modify 220 Swift brass though the rim will be undersized. Also, the barrels can be either .308 or .311.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve marshall</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Prvi Partizan is offered in the recent Graf flyer. It's possible to modify 220 Swift brass though the rim will be undersized. Also, the barrels can be either .308 or .311. </div></div>Really?
I didnt know that. SHould I get a smith to look at it so I know what I'm dealing with or is there a way for me to checj?

If yu get a product called CeroSafe (sp) from Brownwells or Midway, you can do a cast of your bore and chamber and determine the bore size and case dimensions.

According to the 2009 Hodgdon manual;

303 Savage Twist 1:12" Trim: 2.010"
170gr SP Dia. .311 COAL 2.520"
W 748 35.5 gr Max 2090 Vel @ 32,000 CUP

No minimum load is listed and 748 is the only powder listed.

It happened to be on my desk but I'll wager there are plenty of loads available for this old warhorse!

If you don't have Cerosafe you can slug the barrel with a cast lead bullet and just hammer it through with a brass rod. I've "slugged" a number of bores, be careful not to damage the bore.

When you get the slug out the other end just measure it.

I used this method to chase down crappy accuracy in a Glock conversion barrel that "slugged" .4025" instead of the spec @ .400

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you don't have Cerosafe you can slug the barrel with a cast lead bullet and just hammer it through with a brass rod. I've "slugged" a number of bores, be careful not to damage the bore.

I used this method to chase down crappy accuracy in a Glock conversion barrel that "slugged" .4025" instead of the spec @ .400 </div></div>Does slugging bess up the barrel?

The books say to modify 220 Swift brass, but I think 30-40 or 303 Brit brass is easier if you have a lathe.

The books say don't shoot 30-30 brass in a 303S, but I have done it.

The Sav99 is very collectible.
Canadians have been taking them apart and selling everything but the receiver on Ebay to US collectors.

If you want a gun to shoot, a nice 303S should be sold on 24hourCampfire forum [Sav99 world headquarters] and a better gun for the same money that takes better cartridges.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: honkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you don't have Cerosafe you can slug the barrel with a cast lead bullet and just hammer it through with a brass rod. I've "slugged" a number of bores, be careful not to damage the bore.

I used this method to chase down crappy accuracy in a Glock conversion barrel that "slugged" .4025" instead of the spec @ .400 </div></div>Does slugging bess up the barrel? </div></div>

Only if you damage it from the rod. You should have no issues by using a (at the hardest) brass rod, but I usually use AL since it's cheaper/easier for me to get. It's also softer.

A lead bullet being shoved through the bore at a foot per minute or a jacketed bullet going through at 2700 fps, the lead is far less of an issue by itself.

This is a classic technique, my dad was shown it by an ancient riflesmith when he was in HS. This was a guy who built barrels from scratch, gunbuilding was a hobby he picked up as a blacksmith.

The 26th edition of the Hodgdon Data Manual shows that with a 150 grain bullet 36.0 grains of H335 powder will give a MV of 2303 fps, and 39.0 grains of H335 will give a MV of 2545 fps. Behind a 180 grain bullet 34.0 grains of H4895 will give a MV of 2081 fps, and 37.0 grains of H4895 will give a MV of 2130 fps.

No Idea....found that data on the web by Google. Not any info in the few books that I have.
Sierra bullets ballistics techs can be reached by e-mail or phone, and have been much help to me in the past.
www.sierrabullets.com I think