• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

307's? How similar in load data to 308?

Hoofy

Private
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2007
Colorado
307 Win, lever action, body is the same as the 308 Win.

Now that Hornady is selling their LeverRevolution bullets, it's time to see what this puppy can do as a hunting rifle for elk and muleys.

160 grains
Sectional Density: 0.241
Ballistic Coefficient: 0.330

Long range it ain't, but out to 400 yards it ought to perform.

So here are the questions:
Crimping die for the 308, who makes one?
Benchrest won't happen, so velocity will be the primary focus. Powders?
Will any 308 load data convert?

Re: 307's? How similar in load data to 308?

Lee makes a Factory Crimp Die.

.308 data should be used only to mid range loads.

Speer #11 and # 12 have data for the .307, as well as Hodgdon #26. I suggest you consult these manuals.

Been looking at Ken Waters load data, do they still make some of those powders?

What started this whole thought was looking at the load data.
After seeing only FP's HP's RN's, I thought some of you 308 whizzbang types could help out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hoof</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought some of you 308 whizzbang types could help out. </div></div>
That would be <span style="font-style: italic">307 whizzbang types</span> you're looking for.

Actually, if you e-mail Hornady, they can provide loads for their bullets. I got an answer with about a month's wait.

Well you know a 150 gr bullet is a 150 gr bullet. If it has a flat, round or pointy end doesn't make much difference. So what's your point? Start 10% low and work up.

Do you want to shoot 308 loads in a lever gun?

Now, I would shoot 307 loads in a 307 lever gun. My point was that the SHAPE of the bullet does not determine the loading data, it is the WEIGHT.

The 307Win case has LESS capacity than the 308Win case. Even though the 307Win is essentially a rimmed 308Win, it has a heavier web area, reducing the internal volume.

I would probably just use 307Win load data, instead of trying to extrapolate 308Win data.

Yes it generally makes sense to use the loading data for the cartridge you intend to reload. Really make a mess if you try 30-06 loads in your 307.