• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308- 1:10 twist rate- are 150gr bullets hopeless?

Tomspanks

Private
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2013
Getting my 308 rebarreled its an 18.5" 1:10 twist barrel. Most of my bullets are 150gr- what are the effects on twist rate. Is it a definite thing that 150gr bullets will suck as I hear these 1:10 are best with the heavier pills

Re: .308- 1:10 twist rate- are 150gr bullets hopeless?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tomspanks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Getting my 308 rebarreled its an 18.5" 1:10 twist barrel. Most of my bullets are 150gr- what are the effects on twist rate. Is it a definite thing that 150gr bullets will suck as I hear these 1:10 are best with the heavier pills </div></div>
This could be a serious problem, light bullets such as those you mention can ruin a good twist. The effects they have on a faster twist barrel like a 1:10 are premature wear, you'll be looking at a 1:11 or 12 before you know it. This is only compounded by the short length of your barrel, the higher pressures caused by unburnt powder will help corrode the bore.
It's too bad you cant go back and purchase some 165 or bigger bullets, and trade those useless 150's to some guy with an AR-15 or something.

I'd like to watch those .308 150 grain bullets go down an AR-15 barrel.

From a small distance.

Joe

AR-15 in 30 blackout - perfect

I've been running Hornady 150 gr SSTs out of an 18" 10-twist barrel made by Mark Gordon at SAC for my DTA Covert. I've shot many, many of these out of this barrel and I can assure you, it hasn't turned it into an 11-, or 12-twist barrel. They are really very accurate (precise) out to 400/500 yd or so, although the wind tends to push them around quite a bit after that.

A 10-twist barrel actually works quite well for lighter projectiles with a short barrel because it gets them spinning a bit faster than they would out of a slower twist barrel. You're going to loose a certain amount of spin with a shorter barrel simply because the muzzle velocity isn't going to be up there with what you would get from a much longer pipe. Projectile spin rate is proportional to its velocity as it exits the barrel, so slower MV generally means slower spin rate. That doesn't necessarily mean unstable, just a generally slower spin for a shorter barrel.

I've also shot plenty of 155 Scenars out of the 16" 8-twist barrel that originally came with the Covert and they also shot very well. In fact, both the 16" 8-twist and 18" 10-twist barrels have performed remarkably well with projectiles ranging from 150 gr up to 190 gr.

Bottom line is that you will need to try the 150s out of your setup and see how they perform. If they shoot well, you're GTG. If they don't, it's likely not solely because of the 10-twist barrel.

Reactions: Gunnn

The barrel life for a 308win is fairly long, so I would not worry about premature wear.

Theoretically, you can over-stabilize or overspin a bullet too and imperfections may be exaggerated and cause accuracy issues. However in practice, I have not found a problem. Lighter bullet have shot fine out of my 1 in 10" twist.

Reactions: Greg Langelius *

I have the LMT 308 16in 1:10 twist. I shot about 900 American Eagle 308 150g bullets through it with out a problem. The furthest I've shot them was to 816 yards and still no issue.

Reactions: GLD1980

Im gonna go with "the sky is not falling" guys! Thanks to all you gents Im gonna be good with that.

Reactions: Greg Langelius *

I thought M2, 30-06, used a 150 grn FBFMJ projectile.

That was the standard for use out of the 24" 1/10 Garand and Springfield 03 barrels.

Not sure if that is an apples to apples comparison in your case but it would lead me to believe you will get some utility out of your bullets.

Reactions: camocorvette

I didn't think you guys would take my post seriously, it was a bit of a silly answer, to a silly question. I almost burned up my 8 twist .308 by shooting too many 150's
wink.gif
wink.gif

I had a AAC 1:10 twist and I bought a bag of .308 projectiles that were "open box". The guy said they were 175 grain so I bought them. When I actually shot them from my rifle the bullet ended up in Arizona and I live in Las Vegas and I was only shooting about 200 yards. I pulled one of the bullets and found out it was a 150 and not 175 (fucking morons at the gun store) soooo my point is the accuracy will suck. 168, 175 and 178 have always worked very well in my 1:10 and that was a 20" barrel. If it means anything the manufacturer of the rounds were Sellier&Bellot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ultraman550</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it means anything the manufacturer of the rounds were <span style="font-weight: bold">Sellier&Bellot</span>. </div></div>
I think this^ has more to do with it than the bullet weight. I have shot plenty of 150's through 10 twist rifle with no problems whatsoever, as have others mentioned above. Ten is my favorite go to twist in a thirty, works great with almost everything. Now I shoot an 8 twist, I find it more useful for my current needs.

Shot m80 ball out of my 1:10 18inch just to see if my rifle disliked it shot just as good as my 175's, the 175 smk's still are doing at least moa out past 700yds though so I'm sticking with them.

Yes, any bullets you have that are less than 200 gr, you should send to me to properly dispose of for you.

More seriously, its a balance between twist rate and barrel length. Shoot a few. Look critically at your target. Are you seeing any signs of instability in the penetrations on the target?

AT 150 grain with a 20 in barrel or less, I wouldnt expect so.

1:10 in 308 will stabilize 150gr bullet just fine. I shoot 147gr M80 ball (surplus from 80s), 150gr American Eagle(redbox) and 168gr FGMM all within moa to 200 yards from my SSg69 p4 with 16'' bbl.

Shot m80 ball out of my 1:10 18inch just to see if my rifle disliked it shot just as good as my 175's, the 175 smk's still are doing at least moa out past 700yds though so I'm sticking with them.

Heavier bullets like 1 in 11 or 1 in 12. I've used 1 in 11 fof 38 yeards

It's very difficult to over-rotate on a 308 with a 1 in 10 twist, I always recommend that twist for .30-cals because even a 110gr. varmint round will stabilize fine on it, I've shot 130gr. TTSX out of my 300WSM for kicks and giggles and it shot just fine. its all about load workup to determine whether or not they are accurate in your rifle. The advantage to getting a 1 in 10 twist barrel is you can use the heavies if you feel like experimenting, some people have gotten decent performance with the 208gr. AMAX in a 308, 2600fps with it is respectable.

I thought M2, 30-06, used a 150 grn FBFMJ projectile.

M1 ball was a heavier bullet (173 if memory serves at the moment).
M2 was lighter and I think you're right about 150 grains. (have to look it up to make sure).
7.62x51 went to the 147 grain bullet.

That was the standard for use out of the 24" 1/10 Garand and Springfield 03 barrels.

It was and the marksmen of the era made sure to test ammo and put aside good lots that performed in their rifles. Read "Shots Fired in Anger" by John George. Then there's Hatchers Notebook and "Book of the Garand".

Not sure if that is an apples to apples comparison in your case but it would lead me to believe you will get some utility out of your bullets.

It depends... In the early days of the M1A, I got some early NM barrels (and then some of the first production run). The early NM barrels where barrels that micc'ed nicely (in essence like star gauging), but since they were NOT chromed yet, the bore was slightly oversized. Never could get the SMK 168 to perform out of those barrels. With the pogo sticks, I tend towards using a 1 in 11. It works both 150 to175 grains.

I have a 1/10 tube in .308. It shoots well with 155 SMKs/Nosler CCs; 168 SMKs/Amaxes; 175 SMKs; and 178g Amaxes.

I have also heard that a 1/12tw will not stabilize 190s in a .308. Evidently my rifle was hard of hearing.... it shot 'em like gangbusters. Conventional "wisdom" and real life results are often much different.

I just got a lmt 308 16 inch 1:10 what grain bullet is the recommended? what are your groops like 1moa? better or worst? if LMT has a grain recommended. please any help appreciated

Getting my 308 rebarreled its an 18.5" 1:10 twist barrel. Most of my bullets are 150gr- what are the effects on twist rate. Is it a definite thing that 150gr bullets will suck as I hear these 1:10 are best with the heavier pills

I tend to agree with that statement, tried some Nosler 150BTs last year with a load 47grs RE15 in my "Classic" stocked 10 twist 700 and maybe that barrel doesnt like that bullet or the combination I had for it but it didnt shoot well at all, on the other hand it shoots Sierra 150 SBTs under an inch out to 100yds with a similar loading of RE15, shoots the 178HPBTs very well, though, like .5moa for 3 shots out to 200yds.

There are way too many factors to list as to if a gun will shoot a certain bullet or not, twist rate is the least of them. best thing you can do is to load some up and shoot them in your gun. You may need to play with your loads, but they will work with a little effort.

I tend to agree with that statement, tried some Nosler 150BTs last year with a load 47grs RE15 in my "Classic" stocked 10 twist 700 and maybe that barrel doesnt like that bullet or the combination I had for it but it didnt shoot well at all, on the other hand it shoots Sierra 150 SBTs under an inch out to 100yds with a similar loading of RE15, shoots the 178HPBTs very well, though, like .5moa for 3 shots out to 200yds.

Try 44gr of varget under those 150 BT's. I have a 1-10 22" from Clay Spencer and it loves both the 150's and the 168 Nosler BT.

Have great success with 155s of different manufacture in my 1\10 twist 20* guns. Give them a stout charge of R15 or Varget.... they like to move fast.

Try 44gr of varget under those 150 BT's. I have a 1-10 22" from Clay Spencer and it loves both the 150's and the 168 Nosler BT.
Varget doesnt work in either of my 308s, trust me I tried it already, not with the 150s but with 168s, RE15 rocks the house! As does CFE & 2000MR with 168s. Maybe my sporter 700 doesnt like Nosler bullets.

I have the LMT 308 16in 1:10 twist. I shot about 900 American Eagle 308 150g bullets through it with out a problem. The furthest I've shot them was to 816 yards and still no issue.
please help me? did you hit anything, what kind of groups at 100, 200 , 300.yards and 500. i shot Pmc 147 and it was 3in at 100 yards.Fed GM 175 1 inch at 100yards and my reloads 10 shots 175SMK was 1 inch at 100yards and 10 shots 1 by 2 group at 200 , 5 shots 1 inch at 200yards Does anyone know what the best grain bullet to shoot for lmt 16inch cromeline

How about 155's through a 24" 10 twist? How do you guys think it would go?

I use 155gr dyers hbc exclusively in my aprs. 1 in 10 twist #9 24" Krieger on a stiller action. I've shot my share of 3shot groups under 0.2moa and 1/4moa 5 shots. It's a consistent shooter with these loads, but I'm not.

with this rifle and load, I took my roommate shooting, and her first group ever with a centerfire she put 9 shots under 1/2 inch and 1 flyer threw the group out to 0.8 or so. Impressive for a first timer who's only shooting experience beforehand was 20 shots of 17hmr half hour prior.

I use 155gr dyers hbc exclusively in my aprs. 1 in 10 twist #9 24" Krieger on a stiller action. I've shot my share of 3shot groups under 0.2moa and 1/4moa 5 shots. It's a consistent shooter with these loads, but I'm not.

with this rifle and load, I took my roommate shooting, and her first group ever with a centerfire she put 9 shots under 1/2 inch and 1 flyer threw the group out to 0.8 or so. Impressive for a first timer who's only shooting experience beforehand was 20 shots of 17hmr half hour prior.

its true. you really aren't consistent. I hear your guns in others hands can hit half fallen gongs on edge with regularity. Might be just a rumour but my source is good.

Any pics of the roommate in the hot girlfriends thread? the punters at home might wanna know about the titties. :D

back on topic, Theres plenty of Fclass and LR competition shooters pushing 155gr out of 10 twists with very good results and their barrels will be smashing your velocity by a few hundred ft/sec or more. Theres a big difference between over stabilization and under stabilizationof a projectile and how it will effect its flight and at what point down range.

Are you following me around? I will concede, that was some impressive shooting on your behalf. I didn't think you had it in you. And no, no pics for the gf's thread. Besides, you've already met her, and I'm sure you remember the trouble you got yourself into that time ;)

I'm getting 2895fps out of my 24" with the 155's, ES of 10fps. 46.8gr AR2208 (Varget for you 'mericans), Lapua brass, Federal 210m primers with the projectile jambed 10thou into the lands.

My 20" 1/10 Howa loves federal 150 so blue box stuff, plus my 155 eldm handloads. Also loves the 178s so I think your good.

Is there a reason someone necro’d a 6 year old thread other than to add to their post count?

Reactions: IowaGeologist
My RPR .308 has the 20” 1/10 barrel. I’ve actually never used anything lighter than 168 gr. My most accurate loads use a 175 SMK out to 600, and a 190 SMK out to 1000. I mostly use the 190 SMK as I mostly shoot long range.

I did have a 1-10 twist Kreiger that shot 180 & 190 gr SMK much tighter than 150 gr SMK. Yes most will shoot 150 gr very well. Some will not. Also there are very different bullet lengths between a 150 gr round nose and something like a 150 SMK or a 155 Scenar.

Good Luck

Jerry

Opposite ! 1:10 heavier ——1:12 lighter ! Fact
Sort of. Performance in twist is more dependent on bullet length than weight, but physics is composed of laws, and for a given material (copper-jacketed lead) heavier bullets are longer. Start making all copper or brass bullets become longer for a given weight, thus lighter bullets can be better stabilized in faster twist rate barrels.

I'm sort of new here and if there's a better thread for this please advise. I have a RPR .308 20 inch barrel 1:10 twist and I shoot at a 1000 yard range in Tennessee called Dead Zero. They use the shot marker electronic target system and the sensors stop detecting the hit once the velocity drops below 1250fps. They will pick up some hits but not all so I'm trying to develop a faster load using bullets with the highest BC I can and still keep the velocity over 1250fps at 1000 yards. Suggestions?

Quit believing internet B/S an you will be fine. I've a 16" 10 twist that will shoot any 30 cal bullet including the tiny 86 gr under moa. If the assholes that tout all their shit would actually pull a trigger now & then rather than parrot internet B/S they might learn a thing or two after a few years.

Reactions: AMGtuned
Use a higher bc bullet like a 168tmk or 175tmk. A 175SMK in a LC case with 42.2gr of 4064 gave me 2630fps in my AR10 with a 20" barrel. That should still carry right at 1225-1250 at 1000. A 168TMK from my AI (24") with 43.0gr of 8208XBR hits 2770fps and at 1000 should be 1275fps. Knock 50fps for a 4" shorter barrel and it should still be 1240fps. A 175TMK out of the same AI with 43.0gr of RE15 hits 2700fps at the muzzle and should be about 1255fps at 1000.

Army surplus m80 ball 147 gr. Shoot great in my guns but you can not shot them at indoor ranges. They are copper .005 over .030 steel and lead core. 150s suck

If posting on years old threads (necropost) is taboo, why not just lock old threads?

If posting on years old threads (necropost) is taboo, why not just lock old threads?
Because we assumed (maybe incorrectly) that common sense would prevail. Apparently not.

Besides, it's a good flag for spammers and scammers when they necro a post...

Reactions: b6graham