• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 1 in 7 twist build

tvdar

Private
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2023
New Zealand
I am looking to build a .308 bolt rifle. The only barrel available to me that suits my other requirements (length, carbon, profile) is an 18inch 1 in 7 twist. I'll be shooting mostly supersonic loads using 150gr Hornady SST at 2750fps or so, but will also be shooting 190gr sub-x subsonic loads (which the barrel will be ideal for). I know that for supers a different twist rate would "probably" be better, but I'd like some input from experienced people as to whether the 1 in 7 will cause me problems (with accuracy, or overspinning bullets etc). I have calculated the spin rate at about 280000rpm, which is under the generally accepted maximum trouble free number of 300000. I realise that spin drift would be increased at long range but I will only shoot this up to about 500yards.
If you can help with your experience it would be great.

I am looking to build a .308 bolt rifle. The only barrel available to me that suits my other requirements (length, carbon, profile) is an 18inch 1 in 7 twist. I'll be shooting mostly supersonic loads using 150gr Hornady SST at 2750fps or so, but will also be shooting 190gr sub-x subsonic loads (which the barrel will be ideal for). I know that for supers a different twist rate would "probably" be better, but I'd like some input from experienced people as to whether the 1 in 7 will cause me problems (with accuracy, or overspinning bullets etc). I have calculated the spin rate at about 280000rpm, which is under the generally accepted maximum trouble free number of 300000. I realise that spin drift would be increased at long range but I will only shoot this up to about 500yards.
If you can help with your experience it would be great.
Nope