• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report .308 1000 yds humor

natesguns

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2008
Missouri
Didn't really know what topic to post this under but I think I may have a little bit of good info here. Been getting some good range time the past few days with my AI .308. I'm shooting 175g SMK over 44.5g of varget and having pretty good results 2650 for velocity. Overall groups are staying within the 8-10 inch group, most of the time smaller but wind is really kicking my butt. I was having a real tuff time tring to call the wind so I ask my Dad to come spot for me and myabe see the trace and tell me what I was doing wrong. Well this didn't work, he couldn't see any trace so after 5 or so shots I decide to let him shoot and I'd look for trace (I must add, he's never shot at anything over 100yds). So I dial in what I think is close on the scope from what the previous 5 shots did and we start the process all over. 1st shot, perfect trac all the way into the target looked like it was just left and maybe a bit low so I adjust the scope again 2nd shot, just as before I see the trace all the way into the target and it's dead center from what I can see. So we drive down to check the target out and 2 shots dead center 5 inches apart. Dad just looks over and says "What's so hard about that" I just about fell over. Needless to say he wasn't with me today at the range.
Here's my results today
10.2 mils elevation
85 deg.
wind 7-10 mph about 75 deg from right to left and slightly behind me
windage was anywhere from .3 to .6 mils right
average group 10 inches, still need help with wind

I'm loading some 155 scenars, we'll see how those fair against my bitter enemy the wind.

Re: .308 1000 yds humor

I'm assuming the wind died down when he shot? Or you had it dialed right for what he was shooting? Ya gotta add those punchlines if you want us to see the humor
wink.gif
grin.gif

first time luck I guess!

maybe you should ask your dad for more advice on shooting loong range, seems to be a natural