• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 - 155 gr Scenar w/ suppressor = bad accuracy

Joel45

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2009
Utah
So, I am shooting an LTR w/ a 5x25 Heritage--using 155 grain Scenars and 46 grains of Varget. Rifle won't shoot a group less than 4" with a suppressor--take the suppressor off, goes back just under an inch. Suppressor on--4" groups again. I was getting pretty pissed, because I had the runout check on the can when I had the barrel threaded and everything looked perfect. I had a bunch of variable to chase, as I am using a pretty new scope, barrel was just threaded, new can, etc. I made a couple trips to the range with the same result...

So, today I tried some 175 Sierra Matchking loads I had (43.5 grains of Varget). I had planned tear the whole rifle down and re-mount the scope, retourque the action, etc because it was all apart when I had the barrel rethreaded. Wow--the 175 grain SMK's shoot way under an inch! Over and over, too--

Has anybody else had a problem with the 155 grain Scenars out of a can? All this seems really odd to me--I was wondering if the longer profile on the Scenars somehow caused them to be less stable when shot through a can? Has anybody else seen anything like this? I have certainly seen a bad can affect accuracy negatively, but never one that affected one load, but not another...

Re: 308 - 155 gr Scenar w/ suppressor = bad accuracy

Well, I'll take the Scenars off your hands so you can put all that behind you.....

Honestly never heard of one load being adversely effected by a can more than another, but I dont have a lot lof suppressor/load developement experience.

Im serious about the 155s thou......
smile.gif

Kirk R

I had the same problem on my LTR a few years back with AAC 7.62 SD. I can't even hit the card board target at 100 yards with the can,but had 1" group without the can. It turn out to be the bedding issue due to the lighter barrel of the LTR and added weight of the can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1MoreAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I had the same problem on my LTR a few years back with AAC 7.62 SD. I can't even hit the card board target at 100 yards with the can,but had 1" group without the can. It turn out to be the bedding issue due to the lighter barrel of the LTR and added weight of the can. </div></div>

Good info--have actually wondered about the quality of the bedding and whether that could be causing any of this--308 cans are pretty heavy and I could see something like that happening.