• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 168 Gr. Berger VLD load testing

Frostbite Slim

Gravity Tester
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2010
I loaded some Berger 168 grain "Hunting" VLD's with 36 to 44 grains of Varget to develop a good big game load for Alaska. The recommended minimum is 38, and the recommended maximum is 42, I am dyslexic (as well as impatient) and rushed my process. I got to the range today about 1100, it was 31 degrees, 0 wind, pretty good day for shooting!

Shooting 5-shot groups, this is what I got:

1st Load: 36 grains, 2" groups @ 100 yards, completely disappointing!

2nd Load: 37.5 grains, 1.5" groups @ 100 yards, better, but I'm not happy.

3rd Load: 39.5 grains, three shots in one hole, two shots touching at the edge of the 3-shot hole, AWESOME (I thought)!

4th Load: 41 grains, three one-hole groups, two .5" groups (I stopped there, no need to push it)!

Load info:

Berger 168 Hunting VLD
41 Grains of Varget
CCI #200 primers
Federal Match Brass
COAL: 2.825

I am VERY pleased with this combination, I am intending to use M118LR surplus brass, so I will have to rework it. I guess I will start at 40 grains with the thicker brass. I also am going to chronograph the next iteration so that I will have a good data set. My buddy, while spotting, got more excited than I did, asking me to develop some .300 WM loads for him with these bullets.

I do need to get a chronograph (tomorrow), and run a ladder test (next week). After that, it is on to live game!

Re: .308 168 Gr. Berger VLD load testing

what speed are you pushing? its gotta be way slow, im way over that, my 1 bughole at 100 load and is 45.6 varget, win brass, fed lr match primers in my rem 700 sps 26" with a "fixed chamber", its running at 2650 average at 20ft from muzzle. its good from 45 to over 100 degrees without pressure signs.

i too am starting a runup for my 300 win mag when i get my scope for the rifle, so post your results and ill post mine, im also loading up some 190 and 220 smks to run also

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pacomdiver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what speed are you pushing? its gotta be way slow, im way over that, my 1 bughole at 100 load and is 45.6 varget, win brass, fed lr match primers in my rem 700 sps 26" with a "fixed chamber", its running at 2650 average at 20ft from muzzle. its good from 45 to over 100 degrees without pressure signs. </div></div>

I'm gonna get a chrono tomorrow, I will see... I'm running them out of a SPS Tactical (20" bbl, 1:12 twist). Mine will be slower than yours, but that is to be expected with a 6" difference in barrel length.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pacomdiver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
i too am starting a runup for my 300 win mag when i get my scope for the rifle, so post your results and ill post mine, im also loading up some 190 and 220 smks to run also</div></div>

The dude that wants me to work a 300 WM load up is running a Savage with a whisper-thin barrel and is afraid to go heavier than 168's because it hurts him after 10 shots... It's pretty accurate though, I got it to shoot .75" (5 shots with cool down time) at 100 yards running factory 165 grain.

besides the 6" difference, you've got 4 1/2 grains less powder.

my 300 has a 7/8" muzzle diameter 26" hart barrel

Mine are running an average of 2455. Not too bad, I think that I will try up to 44 grains in .5 increments, maybe a hotter load will still show good accuracy.