• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308, 168 gr match load recipe

ERdept

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2008
Orange County, Kali.
Does anyone have a pet/standard .308 load recipe that you'd care to give me.

I'm just trying to avoid buying a whole reloading book just to get one load.

Looking for 308 with 168 and 175 grian bullets.

Thank you.

Re: .308, 168 gr match load recipe

LC cases, CCI BR2 Primers, 41.250gr IMR 4895, 168gn SMK.

1/2 MOA in an upgraded M1A

Well below Max Load, but Use at your own risk - or start out with a little less powder and work up.

From 43.5 to 45gr R15 behind the 168gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. Lapua Brass, Fed 210M.

43gr R15 behind 175gr Sierra Matchking, LC NM Brass, Win WLR primer.

John

Reactions: valkson99

I worked up a 168 load with Varget. I did all the tests and got it working great at 2725 fps. Then I read the label on the front of the jug. Same exact load= 168 smk w/ 46 gr Varget.
Be careful. Rob

Reactions: FLS

Look up in the Reloading Depot and there is a post on .308 loads that has pages and pages of loads. We put that there so people could share their loads and posts like this wouldn't be the majority of the reloading section.

I use Winchester brass trimmed to 2.005o.a.l, Winchester primers, 40.5gr Reloader-15, 175gr Sierra MK's, this gives me 2,500fps out of a 6 groove 27" barrel.

Reactions: Rooster5oh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look up in the Reloading Depot and there is a post on .308 loads that has pages and pages of loads. We put that there so people could share their loads and posts like this wouldn't be the majority of the reloading section. </div></div>

DUH! Thanks all and I'll check here.

After opening the thread http://www.reloadersnest.com/index.asp click on rifles in the upper left. As with mine below, be very careful accepting "special ingredients" as I 'm sure you've heard before. A good book from your fav bullet maker is very wise to have.

.308, Hornady match brass, CCI BR2, 42.4gn R-15, Sierra HPBT Match, 2.856 COAL (FN SPR)

Lapua brass, win lr mag primers, 43.7 rl15, 2.275 at ogive of 175. Around 2605 and 10 ft from muzzel

Federal Brass, BR2, 168 Hornady Match, 42.7 RE15, shot .7 inch group yesterday out of a REMY 700P, 24" barrel. COAL 2.815

-Taylor

BHA Match brass
CCI 200 primer
COL 2.800"
168 HPBT Hornady
46.0 grains of BLC-2

No idea on velocity, printed several 1/2-5/8" groups at 100 yards from Parker and Hale 1200 (mauser k98)

168 SMK
Hornady Match brass
Fed 210 primer
43.5 gr Varget
C.O.A.L 2.800

2640 out of a factory 26' 700P

I used Sierra's latest reloading manual and used the most accurate load data for 168 gr bullets. I believe it was....

42 gr RE-18
Hornady 168gr A-Max
Remington URBR Brass
Federal Small rifle match primers
Seated at Sierra's seating depth

My rifle shot below 1/2 MOA at 100, 300 and 500 yards.

A relaoding manual is your friend. It is worth getting one or two, and reading them.

James

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: US Handgunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used Sierra's latest reloading manual and used the most accurate load data for 168 gr bullets. I believe it was....

42 gr RE-18
Hornady 168gr A-Max
Remington URBR Brass

My rifle shot below 1/2 MOA at 100, 300 and 500 yards. </div></div>
An example of why you might want to invest in a reloading manual, there is no such thing as RE-18.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triple 6</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: US Handgunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used Sierra's latest reloading manual and used the most accurate load data for 168 gr bullets. I believe it was....

42 gr RE-18
Hornady 168gr A-Max
Remington URBR Brass

My rifle shot below 1/2 MOA at 100, 300 and 500 yards. </div></div>
An example of why you might want to invest in a reloading manual, there is no such thing as RE-18. </div></div>

LOL. I"m sure that was a type-o, but the 8 key is two inches from the 5 key. hmmm.

Sierra's RL Man suggests another manufacturer bullet in the most accurate list??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LNO1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sierra's RL Manual suggests another manufacturer's bullet in the most accurate list?? </div></div>

A man with a dry wit!

Manuals aren't a waste of money. There are three or four highly recommended manuals that altogether won't top $65.00. Then there's the free one available from Alliant, the Hodgedon website, Hornady's website, etc.

I love tha advice I get here as a supplement to multiple additional sources.

How much is your face worth?

I have a couple.....RCBS's freebee, Speer #14 (sucks) and Hornady's. Sierra (my bullet pref) is available through a friend and I recall their "earmarked" accuracy load is w/their own bullet...could be wrong. At only $35 locally, I will get one when available.

Yeah, I'm dry....pegged again.

175 smk 210m win brass 45.8 rl15 start lower on powder

and you don`t use a Small Rifle Primer in the 308.. a word of Caution.. never trust loading data in internet forums unless you double check it against a couple loading manuals.. then back off.. and work up..

win brass trimmed to 2.000( yes i know its under trim lenght)
cci 200
168 smk
42. to 43 of imr 4064
col set at 2.930( dont use the col in your gun till you know where the lands start) but 15 thousand off works for me
with this load it likes to be close to the lands and will shoot
1/4 moa if the gun is capable
and 42 to 42.5 for re 15
and federal gmm primers is my 2nd favorite
they are not barrel burners but i dont need them to be i only shoot to 600 yards and these loads are mild yet very affective. i have 5 308 rifles and they all love these to loads
good luck!

Reactions: balew6254

Why hasn't it been" brought up"? I read the post, and was a bit shocked. I look at reloading, for what it really is. I'm "making" a small explosive "device" that I'M PLANNING to "set off", very, very close to my brain. I do so very carefully, and spare no expense, on information {manuals}, gauges, calipers, dies, etc. I'd STRONGLY suggest getting a manual. I have three.Maybe I "read " your post wrong, but this is not the place to go "cheap".

I "think" i just got the "joke" His handle is ERdept. Maybe I'm wrong. My apologies, if I am. I've seen things go wrong, and it gives me the shivers.

Always check any information you get on a forum against one or more manuals and/or the powder manufacturer's web site. Someone's typographical error could cost you an eye or worse. It's easy enough to make a mistake even when you have the right data...

speaking of 'manuals'.

i bought the lee modern reloading second addition. i bought a few other books about reloading for techniques and so forth but that is the only spec based manual i have bought.

perhaps i missed it but there should be a sticky about reloading manuals recommended somewhere around here.

ETA . one thing i have noted is there are more than a few folks publishing reload data that is greater than the max listed in that manual. so folks need to be aware of the tendency too.

My R700 AAC loves 168s, i shoot mostly 168Amax, but the same load works really well for 168SMKs in my gun.. 44.0 RL15, at 2.815, trimmed Win Cases and Fed Match primers. I boringly get 1/2moa consistenly at 100yads with either bullet, and it holds its own out to 600yards pretty well.

First purchase...reloading manual.

I was able to reproduce shot placement + better grouping of the FGMM 168gr ammo with...

- FGMM once fired brass
- CCI large rifle primer
- Trimmed to spec
- Hornady 168 AMAX
- 42gr IMR 4895

Platform is a factory Savage 10FCP-SR-5R with 24" tube sitting in a JP chassis.

Lake City Match brass
Varget 43.5
Federal 210M Primer
Trim to spec
SMK 175 grain

Rifle: TRG 22, 20 barrel, under 1/2 MOA @ 100/200 yds.

Not tryin to be preachy or a smart ass,but if you can't afford to get a load manual,hold off on handloading or borrow one from a friend.There is so much useful info in them besides specific load recipes,and besides,a manual is still cheaper than blowing up a gun or making a trip to the emergency room.

Reactions: 81sfo

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NCHillbilly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not tryin to be preachy or a smart ass,but if you can't afford to get a load manual,hold off on handloading or borrow one from a friend.There is so much useful info in them besides specific load recipes,and besides,a manual is still cheaper than blowing up a gun or making a trip to the emergency room. </div></div>

+1 to that

by the time you've pressed your first 100 round batch of reloads your manual will be more than paid for.

it doesn't pay to be cheap when it comes to personal safety.

---- edit ----

fwiw if your budget really is that much of a concern you may want to look into the One Book / One Caliber series. I usually buy mine at cabela's when i'm picking up a new set of dies for a fresh caliber as a compliment to my Hornady 8th edition i bought with my press last year. I've seen them at several LGS, and of course all over the net. I don't think I've seen one priced over $12 or $13.

I edited this post to include this info because i didnt feel it was right of me to offer criticism without also giving a possible solution to both problems - your budget <span style="font-style: italic">and</span> your safety. I cant verify all the info in the books, but from what i can tell based on the 223/308/30-06/.40acp ones i own in the series the hornady info looks to be straight from their 8th edition manual.

i cant cross refernece to other mfg's books yet because i only own Hornady's 8th edition as a complete reloading manual at this time - and then only because i'm currently only reloading hornady bullets in all of the calibers listed above.

583687_preview.jpg

Lapua Brass
Fed 210m Primer
168 Gr Berger
46 Gr Varget
Shoots well in every 308 I have loaded for. Work up to it carefully.

I notice a lot of people suggest around 46gr of Varget with the 168 BTHP, but I am getting compressed loads with anything over 44.5gr! I also started getting pressure signs around 45gr.

27" bbl length
44.3gr is giving me around 2830fps
seated ~.005 back from rifling

I wish I wasn't getting the compression and pressure issues as I recorded 10fps difference from 45.0 to 45.5; which suggest that a load in that range would provide low SD numbers.

Reactions: RMbrown

I wouldn't go near 46gr of Varget personally as I have had pressure signs at 43.9gr using Winchester and Reminton brass. The little velocity gain achieved isn't worth the risk to me.

I'll stick with my first post, but I'm currently running 44.7 Varget, behind a 168 Gr. BTHP. No signs of "over pressure", and it's hitting at under 1", at 100., out of my 5R.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joshboucher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why hasn't it been" brought up"? I read the post, and was a bit shocked. I look at reloading, for what it really is. I'm "making" a small explosive "device" that I'M PLANNING to "set off", very, very close to my brain. I do so very carefully, and spare no expense, on information {manuals}, gauges, calipers, dies, etc. I'd STRONGLY suggest getting a manual. I have three.Maybe I "read " your post wrong, but this is not the place to go "cheap". </div></div>

Win cases
44 Varget (45 show pressure signs)
175 SMK
Jammed .010
24" 1" in 10"
CED M2 Chrono

Getting fps readings from 2680 to 2730
Used SW Ammo 175 match ammo to check chrono 10 shots with about 25 fps from low to high. What could cause this?

rem 700 5r 24 inch barrel, timney trigger set to 2.5lbs, march 5-40x 56 scope, badger 20moa rail, badger rings. all setup done by me.

been reloading about 3 weeks but i did a ton of studying before i started buying stuff. just got a chrono this week and im going to focus on using only varget, though the re15 has worked well as has some some imr4895. i'd like to settle on one powder instead of jumping on the next big thing.

i have access to 600 yds with 700+ a couple of hours away. current goals are to load for 100 to 600+ yards which may end up being different load for different ranges (100, 200, 300, 500meters, 600 yards).

reloaded once fired FGMM brass. all the case prep done except trimming (which will come later as the length grows). boolits set .010 off lands.

168 AMAX, 42gr re15, .405 MOA 300 yards
TgtGfx.jpg

175 smk, 43.5 varget .355 MOA 300 yards

TgtGfx2.jpg

My 308 that I hunt with has a 22 inch barrel and I shoot 168gr VLD's over 44gr Varget in Lapua brass and Fed 210 match primers and im getting 2650 ftps. Accuracy is very good.