• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 175 grain handholding

Chiller

Minuteman
  • Dec 18, 2008
    Sole resident of Mt. Crumpit.
    I have got the components, I have done a significant about of reading and now I need some handholding and definitive advice (I know a true oxymoron).

When you are loading .308 ammo how many try to duplicate Gold Medal Match, M118LR, etc. That is to say 2.800 on the nut for length and 45 (plus or minus) grains of powder etc or do you load .015 of the lands blah, blah, blah, hunting between Varget, RL-15, etc.

I want a good, predictable, repeatable recipe to load some rounds. I would prefer not to have to sacrifice 3 chickens on the full moon and dance around in my skivvies. I do appreciate that this will come with a compromise for max (anything). I just want it to work and work “well” again and again and again.

I do appreciate that there is a bit of an art to the business, I just want to work on the nut behind the bolt to make me into a far better shooter than I currently am.

Ok I have opened up my soft underbelly please don’t kick the crap out of me.

Re: .308 175 grain handholding

Try 44.0 grains of Varget. Start low, and work up to make sure its safe in your rifle.

James

A great deal of happiness seems to be found between 43gr and 44gr of Varget (43.5 is magic in mine, and seems to shoot pretty well in most guns). Start with 42gr, work up in 0.5gr increments, five shots each. I tend to do initial test groups at about 50yds, most seem to do it at 100yds--do whichever suits you. Take your time and make these shots count. One group will outshine the others. Fine tune around that load in .1-.2gr increments until you've found what you are looking for. Stay within published limits, no need to push things. If you have the tools to measure your chamber for bullet seating, great. If not, stick to what your loading manual says. Check your brass for pressure signs, stop if you get a sticky bolt.
    Get more than one reloading manual, and obey them like they are the Bible. Go slow, there is never a rush. Swallow your pride and ask any and every question you have. Reloading is fun, but it can be dangerous, too.
    Good luck, be safe.

I believe the reason that many people attempt to duplicate the match loads like FGMM is because the match loads shoot extremely well in a wide variety of guns.

You said that you've already got your components. If you're looking to duplicate the FGMM load, you need the SMK 175's, Federal 210M's, Federal brass (be aware, Federal brass is soft... many guys prefer Winchester or Lapua brass instead) and RL15, Varget or similar powder.

Get yourself a good reloading manual, ask questions and begin only after you understand the info. Look up the 175 gr HPBT bullet in your manual. Begin with the 'starting charge weight' in the manual for the bullet/powder combination that you've chosen and work up in small increments while looking for signs of excessive pressure. You should see a certain charge weight that groups well. Don't exceed the 'Maximum charge weight' in the manual. Although you will notice loads posted on this site that do exactly that, tell yourself this -it's just not worth it. Nobody wants to see 'little Timmy' blow himself up.
    grin.gif

There are many loads listed on the .308 load post on the top of the Reloading forum. You'll see many different combinations but there are some bullet/powder combinations that are extremely popular. Just remember, take all powder charge numbers with a grain of salt. Just because somebody says it's safe in their gun doesn't make it true. Always trust your manual.

Remember, this is the internet after all. And most advice is worth exactly what you've paid for it... including mine.
    wink.gif

Good luck. Oh, and don't tie yourself up trying to find the 'Holy Grail' of a load. It doesn't exist. Settle on a load and then spend your time getting familiar with your gun and practicing good shooting fundamentals.

You'll be glad you did.

i would recommend loading from the ogive. it's easier and more accurate than loading from overall length [unless you have a magazine]. use a dummy round with a sharpie to mark the bullet or one of the many o.l. guages to find where your lands are in relation to the ogive. load five each at .005 increments moving away from the lands and i'm sure by the time you get about .040 off the lands one or two groups will stand above the rest. most of my rifles like to be loaded from touching the lands to .020 off the lands. just my $.02 but this system works for me.

If you have a factory rifle it is unlikely that you will be able to get anywhere close to the lands.
    Go with max mag length if you are using a mag.
    (This is also the same length as M118LR.)

Keep in mind that brass makes a significant difference in your charge weights.
    Military brass is thicker and because of this has a lower case volume.

If using MIL brass and want the M118-LR load, use Fed 210M, with 43.2-44.5 of RE15 and the 175gr SMK.
    (NO ENDORSEMENT IMPLIED, always use safe work up meathods to determine safe loading pressures for your firearm!)

I have yet to find a .308 owned by me or any friends that wouldn't shoot 44.0 grains of Varget,Win case,CCI BR primer,and a 175 SMK loaded to 2.80 OAL easily sub MOA. I would offer that as a great place to start,and likely finish.

My load is Rem brass, 175SMK at 2.815" OAL, 42.2gr of IMR4064, Fed210M Gold Medal Match primer. This load will be supersonic at 1000yd out of an M1A/M14, and many here have reported good performance in bolt guns as well.

Since you so thoughtlessly impuned my religious practices with the following,
    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would prefer not to have to sacrifice 3 chickens on the full moon and dance around in my skivvies. </div></div>,
    I must hope you don't get banned...
    grin.gif

That said, keep in mind some manuals are more conservative than others, specifically Hornady's and Sierra's, in their powder charges for the SMKs and AMAXs.

I like a "combination" of the suggestions listed above. With your Sierra 175 SMK; start -.001" behind the rifling, and work up your Varget powder starting at 42.0 grains. This is actually a fairly hot load for one of my tactical rifles.

- Innovative

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My load is Rem brass, 175SMK at 2.815" OAL, 42.2gr of IMR4064, Fed210M Gold Medal Match primer. This load will be supersonic at 1000yd out of an M1A/M14, and many here have reported good performance in bolt guns as well. </div></div>

I recently started using 4064 after being unable to locate any Varget.

I have to say this is the best shooting load I have worked up yet. 1 7/8 inches @ 500 yards with stock Savage.

My load: Lapua brass, 175SMK, 210M primer, 42.8 4064, 2636 fps @ 68 degrees, SD 7fps, OAL 2.818. OAL changes a little between bullets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trobertson5-0</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have yet to find a .308 owned by me or any friends that wouldn't shoot 44.0 grains of Varget,Win case,CCI BR primer,and a 175 SMK loaded to 2.80 OAL easily sub MOA. I would offer that as a great place to start,and likely finish. </div></div>

If your rifle won't shoot this load, throw it away.

the rub of the matter is she is a sub MOA stick. If I do my part she is a .5MOA or better stick. I just want to find that good balance point and then begin to burn the barrel up....