• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 178 amax coal

phillipjr

Private
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2012
Harrodsburg, KY
I normally shoot 175smk, can I used my same coal and powder charge or should I start with a lighter powder charge or lengthen the oal?

Re: .308 178 amax coal

same powder charge wont hurt anything but you will probably have to tweek the OAL as they do not have the same ogive profile.

Because it has a different (secant) ogive profile, the 178 Amax will be more sensitive to seating depth than the SMK 175. You should be able to seat the Amax closer to (if not engaging) the lands.

Just my observation I load my 175 smks to 2.835 and the 178s to 2.850 so about 15 thou for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: phillipjr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I normally shoot 175smk, can I used my same coal and powder charge or should I start with a lighter powder charge or lengthen the oal? </div></div>

It depends on how close your load is to the pressure limit of that particular rifle. Seating to the same COAL will increase chamber pressure probably not enough to hurt you but I don't know how close you are to going over pressure already. The 178g A-MAX typically is 20fps slower with higher pressure for a given powder charge of RL-17 and offers no performance advantage over a 175g SMK round. The best of the under 180g .308Win bullets are the 178g Hornady Match. The 178g H Match ballistically are untouchable.

HTH!