• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report .308 180 Grain SMK accuracy?

minsane

Private
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2009
Hello everyone:

I just purchased 3 boxes of the Fiocchi 180 grain SMK load for my 16 inch 1 in 10 twist LAR-8. Unfotunately I can't get to the range for a while Does anyone have experience with this load? How accurate is this load out to 100 and 200 yards? I hear that a 1 in 10 twist tends to like heavier loads.

Thank you!

Re: .308 180 Grain SMK accuracy?

Sierra still makes 180s?

My Dad used to load them in '06 for over the course, but that was on the old 5-V target and shooting them in a Garand and a Springfield. Back then they were FMJs. He switched to the then-new 168 "International" bullets a few years before the rest of the world noticed them.

The 180-gr weight was most often used for the MR target, for better wind-bucking ability. They shoot plenty accurate for 200 and 300 as well, but recoil fatigue can set in if you're shooting a lot in a single day.

Yeah I guess they do. My orginal post was wong the brand I bought was Fiocchi not SB. They say proudly made in the USA on the box. I was looking for 175 match at the gun show and I ran into these and figured that I would give them a try.

If they are an open-tip HPBT, the bullets should be just fine for groups. I can't tell you when the last time was I bought .308 factory ammo of any sort...sorry.

The 180 SMK is good up to 800 yards. Now i am sure there is someone here that can tell me i am wrong. The reason i say its good to 800 yards is because i have tryed them at 1000 yards. The 180 has a boattial on it that is the same as the 168. The tail on the SMK 180 is its problem. If it had a tail like the 175 or the 190 it would probly work. I have tryed to make them work past 800 and have had no luck. Remember though this is just what i have had happen. But one thing that there is no doubt about is the 180 has a different boattail