• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 185 Bergers

BIGBOY1975

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2008
Choupique,Louisiana
Anybody has a good load for 185 bergers i tried varget and i was compressing the powder so much didnt get very good groups i have factorys from hsm with a 2.800 oal they are shooting great any idea what powder they use?

My 300 Win likes RL22 a lot......
Nimrod

Last edited:
I would like to find a load for this bullet as I have 500, just havent had time to play with them yet.

I use to shoot 43.5 grains of Varget in a Lapua case with CCI BR-2 Primer.I shot this out of a modified Long Range M1-A.The issue with 185 Bergers is that they are a VLD design,They usually like to be touching or very close to the lands.The problem is that if you jam them too much you can spike the pressure up.Just work up a load carefully and see what seat depth works for that barrel.

Regards,Mike

I've been shooting both the 185 bthp match and the VLD and they both shoot great with 44.0 varget but my col makes them too long for a mag so they have to be single fed. I'd like to be able to seat them short enough to feed from a magazine. I too have. Box of 500 but don't have time to feed them one at a time during a match.

You ought to look into power pro 2000 mr. Burn rate is perfect. I was running them at 2700+ out of a Ga Crusader and they shot VERY well. My barrel was only 22" and I picked up 95 fps switching from varget. Just a thought.

They wouldn't shoot for me until i jumped them .040". I couldn't see any difference in a 10rd group between .040" & .080" jumping so they should be very forgiving as my throat grows.

I was shooting 43.8gr Varget with LC cases in a Bisley reamed chamber but just had my barrel set back with a different short-throated reamer (Palma 95) and have to work up again.

I single load and am using the 185 Hybrids. My load is 43.0 Varget in a Winchester case and Wolf LR primers. I get 2660 fps from my 28" barrel.

Which 185 do you have?

Berger says 37.5-41.6 of Varget with the 41.6g loading possibly being compressed(they say 102% case fill). They just say 2.810 COAL. I have not loaded any of mine(Juggernaut or Match BTLR) with Varget as I have been using R17 which is supposed to be a little better with the heavier bullets.

Some of their bullets are VERY jump tolerant. Some of their bullets are NOT very jump tolerant. The Juggernaut(and Match BT Long Range which is the exact same bullet) are supposed to be jump tolerant. The VLD type are supposed to like to be jammed. The Hybrid I dont know about, but I would guess they would like closer to the lands just judging by the shape.

I use 43.5 of varget for the Berger 185 hybrid in my rifle. I worked up and got pressure signs about 44 to 44.5 so I backed off. I get about 2720 fps,...95 Palma chamber with a 28" 4 groove Krieger barrel.

45 to 45.3 grains of RL17 is emerging as a good choice in the .308 with 185's...

I stopped at 44.5 which was Bergers recommended max, but I had zero pressure signs so could have gone further. Had a decent node at 42.5 and it came together again at 44.

I'm running 47.3 of PP 2000MR with a 185 VLD, Winchester brass and federal primers - loaded length is 3.013 to give it a jam in the Remington factory .308 chamber. Velocity is right at 2825 out of a 26 inch tube (1/12 twist.) Accuracy has been excellent.

I found an accuracy node @ 71.5 gr. RL22. Win brass, remington 215 primers. 2920 fps at 75 deg. Shot under 2" @ 350 yards. Seated to fit sendero factory box mag. 185 gr vld.

my gap crusader 308 likes 41 gr. IMR 4064 with 185 vld's .005 off the lands. at last weekend's f/tr 3x600 I shot a 192- 199- 197-26x works for me

I dont understand what you are trying to gather from bumping this thread continuously. Email berger and they will send you load data. Or try any of the 4 or 5 powders that work REALLY well for most 308 bullets. The Berger data they will send you contains data for I think 10 powders(might only be 8).