• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

.308 20" 1/10 or 26" 1/12 for 1000 yards?? ....did I make the right choice??

SDmtnbkr

Private
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2013
San Diego, CA
I've been told that the added velocity of the 26" is a huge difference after 700 yards and out to 1000. I've also been told that you need a heavy bullet in .308 to get out to 1000 yards accurately and that the 1/12 twist can't stabilize heavy bullets..... would the extra 6" of barrel help stabilize a heavier bullet?

Basically I bought a 26" 1/12 Rem 700 SPS-Varmint over the 20" 1/10 AAC-SD because I want to get out to 1000 yards and I was told the extra velocity would be more appropriate, but I didn't think about the twist rate until after I purchased it..... was that the right choice?

Thank you for your time.

Push a 155 grain match bullet at 2900 - 3000 fps or a 175 grain match bullet at 2600 - 2700 fps and you'll be fine.

Please don't ask which is best. We don't know what load your rifle will like. You need to do the testing to find out.

Are you a reloader?

Your fine, I use a 1-12 in both the 26" varmint and 20" tactical, I just have to be on top of my wind game a little more with the short one as it is 100 fps slower.

A 1/12 will still stabilize a 185 Berger otm according to Brian litz. If a 1/12 will still stabilize that bullet it should have no problem with 175 mk or whatever bullet you choose really. All depends on how much wind drift you can handle and how much extra recoil it is worth.

A 1/12 will still stabilize a 185 Berger otm according to Brian litz. If a 1/12 will still stabilize that bullet it should have no problem with 175 mk or whatever bullet you choose really. All depends on how much wind drift you can handle and how much extra recoil it is worth.

I have a 1/12. It stabilizes the 175 SMK without a problem.

...Please don't ask which is best....

Definitely wasn't trying to start a which is best thread... just wanted to make sure my 26" 1/12 twist was good to go for what I purchased it for. No, I'm not a reloader, but it seems that I might have to start. I need to look into how much it would cost to get all the initial gear.

Thanks for the responses everyone, looks like I'm good to go with the SPS-V.

Definitely wasn't trying to start a which is best thread...
No problem.

No, I'm not a reloader, but it seems that I might have to start. I need to look into how much it would cost to get all the initial gear.
To wring max accuracy out of a rifle, it's the only way to go. Not to mention it increases your flexibility and reduces your cost.

Definitely wasn't trying to start a which is best thread... just wanted to make sure my 26" 1/12 twist was good to go for what I purchased it for. No, I'm not a reloader, but it seems that I might have to start. I need to look into how much it would cost to get all the initial gear.

Thanks for the responses everyone, looks like I'm good to go with the SPS-V.

When I first started Long Range (800, 900, 1000 yards) I used Federal Gold Match 175's out of a 27", 1/11 twist barrel and made Master the first time out. Using any .308 at 1000, you have to be able to read wind, or it will not work. After I worked up a load, I get 2780 out of my rifle, and it handles the wind better, but you still have stay up on the wind all of the time. The short barrels do not work so good for long range precision shooting, they are not the right tool for that job. With that load, in about 8 years I have not lost a Lapua case yet, so it is not that hot, like some people think.

You should be just fine with -200 grn bullets and maybe they will work on the super heavies. Yes, if your not needing a short gun to scoot around things and be lighter then the 26"er is the way to go. I like both lengths in 308 depending on what I'm doing. If your not reloading then I would stick with good ammo with the 175 SMK (IE: Black Hills, FGMM, etc) or I have had great results with Hornady in either 168 AMAX and 178 BTHP or AMAX. I have had terrible luck with the superformance so I will not recomend it. Most good ammo will do great in it. Just be aware of the 168 SMK in shots past 700 as some people have had bad results with then at distance. Inside 600 they are fine.

Good luck.

The only time I'd opt for a 1:10 for 308 would be if you want to shoot subsonics with a can. Other than that 1:11 or 1:12 are my choice. IMO 308 just doesn't have the ass to push a 190gr+ bullet efficiently. Some people use even 208's in 308 (and do it with a 1:12 mind you) but I stick with 155-178gr bullets for 308. If I want more I step up to a magnum.

I'd say you made the right choice. If you load I'd get a box of 155gr Scenars, 175gr SMK, and 178gr AMAX, make some loads and see what it likes. It should shoot all of them well so then it will be up to your preference. Some like the 155gr for a little less drop but a little more drift, and some like the 175/178 for a little less drift but a little more drop, I use both. If you don't load I'd invest in some good reloading equipment.

Some like the 155gr for a little less drop but a little more drift, and some like the 175/178 for a little less drift but a little more drop, I use both.

I haven't run the numbers but gut feel tells me that Sierra and Nosler 155s, with their mid .450 BCs will match any 175 in wind and drop when pushed to mid 2900's MV. The Lapua 155 can be pushed just that fast, but with a .505 BC it will beat any 175 load in BOTH drop and drift.

I have an SPS-V and it likes the 155s (A-maxes and SMK) more than any other round. The 155 SMKs are just shockingly accurate out of it, they are pushed fast though, around 2950 fps

I haven't run the numbers but gut feel tells me that Sierra and Nosler 155s, with their mid .450 BCs will match any 175 in wind and drop when pushed to mid 2900's MV. The Lapua 155 can be pushed just that fast, but with a .505 BC it will beat any 175 load in BOTH drop and drift.

Lapua has changed their BC to .460 on the website, retailers just haven't caught on yet

I shoot 155gr Scenars, 175gr SMK's, and 178gr AMAX's exclusively in 308. All I can tell you is in real world conditions the 155gr Scenar has slightly more wind drift than the 175 and 178.

You all may well be right. I get much better accuracy with 155 Scenars than I did with 175 Noslers so that's what I shoot. I don't have the time or inclination to test every conceivable load combination with the 175 class bullets available and I'd rather give up .1 or .2 mils of windage for a bullet that goes where I aim every single time.

I've used the noslers and they aren't the most consistent 175's around, the SMK's are much more consistent bullets and tend to not be finicky at all to load. The 178gr Amax is also a great bullet in the same weight class. An accurate load is an accuracy load but drop is the most consistent variable in LR shooting. It's easy to calculate with a good LRF, angle device (if applicable), and dope. Wind is what comes down to the shooter entirely every single time and has nothing to do with how accurate the rifle or load is, if you can properly read the wind you're not going to hit. This is why a lot of people prefer a bullet with as little drift as possible, less drift = less margin for error. It's easier to get a hit with a not so great wind call with a bullet with 1.5mils or drift vs 2.5mils. The difference between a 155gr scenar and 175gr SMK is about .2-.3milw from my loads but every little bit counts. I like 155's, I just know I need to be on my game a little more to get the hit.

I have shot the 155 Scenars in my 20" 1 in 10 Savage and my Remington with a 22" Bartlein 1 in 11 and they worked great I shoot 175 SMKs now because my gun groups slightly better with them and as proneshooter stated about I would rather have the accuracy.

You made the right choice for the stated purpose of getting the 308win to 1000 yds. Longer barrel equals more velocity vs a shorter barrel regardless of weight.

Either one will get the job done.

I've have two 1/12 308s. Both started as 26" Rem Varmint. Both got cut, to 20.5" and 22". Both still shoot to 1000, and beyond.

If you dabble with the heavies in your 1/12 you will likely be surprised that they shoot very well. My bullet of choice is the 208 AMax, but I've also had excellent results past 1K, with the 190 SMK, 210 Berger, 215 Berger, and 220 SMK.

I load them long (3.08" OAL), and fill the case with RL-17. It's no trick to get the 208 to 2600 fps from the 22" bbl. At 26", I was pushing the 208 to 2675 fps.

I have a 24" 1-12 twist and push the 175 fast enough to make just fine to 1000yds, I have shot a few Fclass match with that set up and the only problem with me driving the gun.

The rifle that you have is a great shooter and I have one, but just like Niles Coyote stated mind the wind. You have to work at mastering the wind, I use 168gr Hornady AMAX, with Varget powder and the velocity is 2700fps and I can hit a 12in steel plate at 1000yds, but I have to be on the wind game. Reloading is the only way to go and anything past 1000yds go magnum. Build out that rifle the way you want it and have a good time.