• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308-260 rebarreling opinions needed

Firefour

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2005
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Have a mid 80's rem 243 bdl with a shot out barrel. Going to have it rebarreled to one of the two only. .308 or a .260

Will be used for shooting steel/ paper out to 1000yds
A few comps, Fclass, 1k matches, mostly for my enjoyment
Occ. deer, varmints, hogs, etc
Barrel will be 26"-24" ---- 1-8,,,1-8.5tw
Shot mostly 308 for 45-50 years.
Have around 300-400 once fired prepped 308 brass & 400 168 smk's.

Hate to start out new with another caliber, dies, brass, bullets, etc.
but have read good reports on the 260.

This build will be a final rifle, one caliber do all, to last me.
Plan on putting it in a mcmillan m40 stock with a badger m5 (or such) bottom metal as the build progresses. My job will probably be ending in the next few years so trying to get a "keeper" built, kinda a one size fits all, either 308 or 260.
Thanks for your opinions

Re: 308-260 rebarreling opinions needed

Of those two, 260 without a doubt. From 600 to 1000 there's no comparison between the 260 and the 308.

Sell the 308 components, it'll be easy, then buy all the 260 stuff and out shoot all your buddies that have 308s.
smile.gif

PS...I would choose a different stock, the M40 is an old design, the comb isn't high enough. If you like that style go A1-3 from McMillan or something similar from Manners (T3 if I recall). If you want something more tactical-ish look at the T2, it's a great stock.

Between 260 and 308, the 260 is a far better choice as a "do all" type rifle that includes targets out to ~1000 yards.

However, you state this is to be your "last" build. 260s don't torch the barrel, but they sure as shit don't last like 308s do.

If you want the highest likelyhood of never needing to rebarrel again, 308 (or perhaps 22LR) is really the only choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Of those two, 260 without a doubt. From 600 to 1000 there's no comparison between the 260 and the 308.

Sell the 308 components, it'll be easy, then buy all the 260 stuff and out shoot all your buddies that have 308s.
smile.gif

PS...I would choose a different stock, the M40 is an old design, the comb isn't high enough. If you like that style go A1-3 from McMillan or something similar from Manners (T3 if I recall). If you want something more tactical-ish look at the T2, it's a great stock. </div></div>

+1

If you shoot it alot you can re barrel it in 5000 rds.

If you have the courage to go through with it, you can melonite the barrel and get quite a bit more life out of it.

Also, 7mm-08 has nearly the same ballistics as 260 with more downrange energy (esp >1000yds) and better barrel life. 260 has a better selection of bullets that aren't as finicky and you can use lapua brass. 7mm-08 rounds with the heavy bullets have a long OAL.

If it was my money, I would go with one of those shorty 308s.

No question here the .260 IS the better choice! It is a caliber that you won't get tired of.
Sully

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LCDR JGB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have the courage to go through with it, you can melonite the barrel and get quite a bit more life out of it.

Also, 7mm-08 has nearly the same ballistics as 260 with more downrange energy (esp >1000yds) and better barrel life. 260 has a better selection of bullets that aren't as finicky and you can use lapua brass. 7mm-08 rounds with the heavy bullets have a long OAL.

If it was my money, I would go with one of those shorty 308s.

</div></div>
Did I just get a shout out?!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Of those two, 260 without a doubt. From 600 to 1000 there's no comparison between the 260 and the 308.

smile.gif

PS...I would choose a different stock, the M40 is an old design, the comb isn't high enough. If you like that style go A1-3 from McMillan or something similar from Manners (T3 if I recall). If you want something more tactical-ish look at the T2, it's a great stock. </div></div>

Great advise. I would also change the stock choice to a Manners T5A, McMillan A5, or an A4 if tactical is all that matters. A McMillan Tactical Hunter if hunting will be included in the list of requirements for said rifles. I love my .260. Best of luck.

addendum to mix: have a supply of H4895-Varget-and RL15 from
my highpower, 223, 308 days.
How's the barrel life of a 260 compared to .308? Did some research but found a large variable of life spans.

Agree on the stock change, had a M40 once and like the smaller grip compared to the larger Mc M5 grip.

Appriciate the opinions.
Thanks

As this will be your last build per your statement

I would not use 308 or 260
many better options

6XC, 6.5xc, 6.5CM, 6cm, 284

Stock wise i would run a chassis XLR, RTS etc

my choice would be 284 shehane, melonite barrel
and shoot it until your NOT able to anymore

last build i would go all in and take advantage of new case designs and stocks

if you reload, get the 260, it wont disappoint....and you can neck 243/7-08/308 brass to 260 easy...

if you dont reload, get a 6.5 creedmoor... the factory match is great...

Of those 2, .260 for sure.

Where's Rob01 when you need him? Stick with .243, its an outstanding round. My next barrel will be in .243

smile.gif

I've been going through the same dilemma and I've pretty much come to the conclusion that the .260 is the best choice for me.

Dang, this is tough. Just checked, and have 600 rds of brass, 600 sierra 168's, & other odd boxes of bullets, dies, 10 lbs of powder, etc. for the .308.

With the election as such, new regs and woes will be added to the company I work for, which is in bankruptcy,,so my job will disappear in a couple of years, so I have to think of family and start getting my ducks in a row, and to be, Cheap, so to say, and not spend the money needed to re-equip everything for the .260.

It pains me and I'll be the first to kick myself in the butt.
Thanks to all for your input.

Why are you changing calibres, esp as you "hate" to do this.

Go for another fast twist (1 in 7).243 and shoot the 115's. This smokes any .260 or .308 and the saved money and grief on dies, brass etc would almost pay for another rebarrel when its needed.

regards

Ewen