• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 42.7gr Varget in LC Brass w/175gr SMK

03psd

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 27, 2006
Oklahoma
My AIAT likes 42.7gr of Varget and a 175gr SMK. I typically use commercial brass but just realized I loaded up a batch of LC brass with the same load not thinking of the difference in case capacity. Before I seat bullets in the 50 cases I have charged do I need to rethink this or can I expect similar results between the commercial brass and the military? I dont consider this a "hot" load and havent had any issues with it in this rifle using commerical brass, but the last thing I want it issues just because I used the LC cases. Thoughts, please?

When i shot the stock .308 26 in barrel my AT came with here is the load i used. LC will be a little thicker then lets say Winchester or Federal. From what i have seen Lapua is going to be closer to LC in thickness and with the .5 grain more i am loading you shouldn't have any issues. Let me know how thing work out.
Bullet=175SMK
Brass= Lapua
Primer= CCIBR2
Powder=Varget 43.2
AVG FPS=2676
Magneto speed ES = 9

Reactions: 03psd
I’ve loaded 43.5gr of Varget in my Lapua brass for my AI and didn’t see any pressure signs. As stated above, I know Lapua and LC brass aren’t exactly equal but I wouldn’t expect you to have any issues.
I do however seat my rounds to 2.825 COAL.

Reactions: 03psd
I’ve loaded 43.5gr of Varget in my Lapua brass for my AI and didn’t see any pressure signs. As stated above, I know Lapua and LC brass aren’t exactly equal but I wouldn’t expect you to have any issues.
I do however seat my rounds to 2.825 COAL.

Thanks. I seated mine to 2.89" so they fit easily in my mags

Load five and chrono. Then you'll know for sure.

I'm going to bet it will be a safe load, no idea on what MV will do.

Reactions: gconnoyer
Cant comment on LC brass, but 44.2gr Varget behind a 175SMK in Lapua gets me 2730 on my rifle (24" James Lederer barrel)

42.7 will probably be a safe load and I'd bet you'll see around 2600ish fps.

The only LC that comes close to Lapua capacity is 04. Typically LC holds a grain less water but 42.7grs of Varget is a light load.

Yesterday I was shooting 42.0gr of Varget in LC85 cases and 175SMK's in my NDM-86. They were averaging 2615 but I was running with the gas regulator in the open position so I may have been losing a little velocity. With 42.7gr I would expect 2650 or maybe a little more.

I reduced my "go to" Varget load (43.5gr) for 175 SMK by 1 gr for the LC LR brass and it shot great in my 20" AW.