• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 5R - Pushed hard but still going strong 3000 rds later

JB02

CDR
Minuteman
  • Sep 14, 2011
    Northern VA
    With all the great action truing/barrel changeout services being offered, seems hard to resist giving my wife's 308 5R even more of a makeover. Since my rifle is getting worked over by Jared at APA, we've just been shooting our pistols, but today she wanted to take her rifle out. I had a meager supply of ammo for the hunting rifle I took along, so she let me shoot a few shots.

I realized I hit the shoot 'n see target 400 yds away, but I realized I didn't do nearly so well as when I shoot my Surgeon. I said something like, "can't really expect much more from a factory gun."

Then she took the rifle back and did this with 10 shots:

I'm thinking this rifle is still plenty capable for at least another year.

Since I've already changed out the stock and trigger, put a FTE on the end, put a Kampfeld knob on the bolt, and cerakoted it matte black it's hard to even consider it the same rifle, but at its core it's just a factory Rem700 .308 with the factory 24" barrel. It has at least 3000 rounds down it and I load it hot ... it pushes 168s over 2750 fps with 45.8gr Varget. Here's a picture of it without the FTE:

At least I was (barely) able to redeem myself at the pistol range a little while later with my 40 S&W XD:

Mine:

Hers:

Still, not too bad. I have a feeling that when her Glock comes in she might take me to the cleaners again if I let my guard down.