• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 600-1k Bullet weight/load

gatorglockman

Private
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2010
Alabama, US
Just got done reading Tresmon's precision reloading threads. Very enlightening to say the least. <span style="text-decoration: underline">Kudos to Tresmon!</span>

I am a semi novice reloader primarily loading .223 for bulk target practice and .308 as I learn to use my Savage 10FP.

The Tresmon threads really opened my eyes to detail and consistency. One thing he said that I want to know more about is .308 bullet weight for long distance loads needing to be over 179 grn amount(ie: don't waste your time with 168 grn load recipes comment).

Can anyone elaborate on bullet grain/weight to long distance shooting in the .308 and why? Not sure but if you can give me some basic load specs or guidance and why, I would be appreciative (or PM me if it is against the rules to post it on a thread
wink.gif
).

Re: .308 600-1k Bullet weight/load

Others will elaborate on this, I'm a beginner compared to most. But basically you need the bullet to stay super sonic at the distance you are shooting for, otherwise it becomes unstable and not accurate. So to acheive this in the .30 caliber you need to jack up the load to pretty high pressures or use a higher weight bullet that maintains its velocity longer acheaving the supersonic speed at distance. Correct me if i'm wrong but that's it in a nut shell.

IMR 4064 powder. For now some milsurp LC brass but I may buy some virgin Winchester brass. I had been running some FMJ 150grn bullets....but that is changing hence my post.

Found a few great links in my research. 175 SMK may be the bullet I will load.

The more I dig, the more I find out I gotta' lot to learn.

155 scenar, 175 SMK, 178 Amax and many other 308 caliber bullets will make it to 1k. The easiest way to find out when a bullet will theoretically go transonic is to use the jbmballistics calculator and input your muzzle velocity and bullet. When a bullet goes transonic, some will start to tumble and become unstable leading to a serious degradation in accuracy.

If you don't shoot to 900 or 1k very often then you can run the 168 class bullets. However I would say just choose one of the 155/175 class bullets and if you run them hot enough, you will consistently make it to 1k. As a general rule of the, the 175 needs to going 2600+ to small it to 1k.

I can't tell you loads for 4064. Most of the loads I know about revolve around Varget and Re15.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gatorglockman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> needing to be over 179 grn amount(ie: don't waste your time with 168 grn load recipes comment). </div></div>

155g-to how ever heavy you want to go.

It's the 168 sierra match king and nosler custom competition copy (also 168g) that should be avoided if you want consistency beyond 750. Your environmentally conditions and muzzle velocity have the final say on what distance this bullet design can go. The bullet design, specifically the steep angle of the boat tail, causes it to become unstable when approaching transonic velocity. There are certainly other factors that play in here but that is the main one as I understand it.

There are other 168's that do not suffer this. Last week I ran berger's 168 vld to 1000 with no problems even though it was subsonic at approxmently 950 under my environmental conditions at the time. It shares the bc of the 175 match king but is 7g lighter in weight and because of this I can push it ~50fps faster out of my 20" rem sps tactical, giving me a slight advantage to the heavier match king. (that’s not the reason I am using it but it is a side bonus) Also a good contender would be the new 168 hybrid (also berger) with an even higher (bryan litz tested) bc than the 175g berger's and new hornady 178g bthp. On paper that beats my 155 scenar load in the wind at my real world velocities by eight tenths of a moa at 1000. I will be checking it out soon…

Wow, this is good info to stumble upon. I have been running 150 grn with H4895. Its tough to get out to beyond a 1000 with consistant results with my POF P308. Uber good at 600-700. I will have to try some of the larger grains and see what happens. Great thread/discussion.

Rem/Win brass, Fed FGMM Large Rifle Match Primer, 42.2gr IMR-4064, Sierra 175SMK loaded to 2.810"-2.815" OAL. Alternatively, substitute 45.0gr of Varget.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2shots</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Others will elaborate on this, I'm a beginner compared to most. But basically you need the bullet to stay super sonic at the distance you are shooting for, otherwise it becomes unstable and not accurate. So to acheive this in the .30 caliber you need to jack up the load to pretty high pressures or use a higher weight bullet that maintains its velocity longer acheaving the supersonic speed at distance. Correct me if i'm wrong but that's it in a nut shell. </div></div>
Just because the projectile goes transonic or subsonic does not mean it will lose stability. It is all in the design of the pill. The easiest accuracy will be in the Pre-transonic flight. The 168smk flies like a brick due to it's ancient design. While usually accurate at 0-500, beyond that is where trouble arises (in TX anyway). I'd stick with the Lapua 155 or 178 Hornady BTHP. 175 SMK works well too and isn't as picky to seating depth

I would try 42-43 grains with a heavy match bullet out of your LC brass. If that doesn't work then you may have to start looking for a higher node around 44.5-45 but that will be overmax.

edit: the thing is while there are proven loads that you can use they won't be optimal, and most people who tell you their load are telling you a load they've developed specifically for their rifle. It's really trial and error to find out what works for you.

For the price, the hornady bullets can't be beat. 168, 178 and 208, either Amax or match...

The 175smk is basically the gold standard for this purpose and is reasonably priced.

The 155 Scenar is quite a bullet, but it sure is pricey.

Speaking of pricey.....berger.....they have some fantastic bullets, but I can't justify the price considering how good several other offerings are.

Someone I met at thunder valley gave me some 308 ammo to shoot up, because he had it lying around since he switched to a 260. 44gr RL15 and a 168smk had me banging the 1000 yard steel almost every time... I know I've heard a LOT of claims the 168 smk wont do it....but I saw it do it just fine.

Hornady 178 BTHP with it's .530 BC pushed by Varget is an excellent combination. 178 AMAX works well also. I have shot them to 1300 yards.