• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308/7.62 Ammo question

Zebra644

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2010
Ohio
I am about to fire lap / break in a barrel as per Armalite's instructions. I am not getting into the debate of does it work, do it or not. I don't use moly or paste or other compounds, I do the shoot and clean method. So I was discussing with a close friend and we had a talk over a beer. He says to use match grade 168 FGMM to break in the barrel and follow the instructions. I call bullshit flag lol and say I can use what ever ammo such as 147 or 150 grain and follow the instructions. Especially now that its harder to find the FGMM by the case. The gun in question is an Armalite Super SASS .308/7.62 with a 20" 1:10 twist stainless barrel. Does it really matter what ammo you use when you choose to break in a new barrel?

I have always heard when breaking in use the hottest powder and lowest grain bullet(Benchrest reloaders) But that's coming from the guy that doesnt drink caffeine the morning he shoots to increase accuracy and reduce heart rate. I do think there is something to the madness. But I will tell you that I have done many break in's like you r saying and shot plain factory ammo thats a high or medium grain and have good shooting guns(under .5MOA) I think its just how crazy you want to get, and even then it might just not be a shooter. If it's a shooter its gonna shoot no matter what in my opinion. If it's not you might can help it a little with break in and what not

I know its a matter of personal preference some do some don't and I understand the reasons behind both sides. I think the reasoning behind using 168 type BT is that type of bullet is more likely to bite into the lands and groves to fill in or remove what imperfections may be there.

I just started to brake in my second GAP 10 yesterday and used Fed American Eagle 150 grain. After 11 rounds of using GAPS instuctions, I started using the Fed 168 FGMM and it's shooting 3/8-1/2" groups so as TesadMade said-" If it's a shooter its gonna shoot no matter what in my opinion."

So you don't question the validity of even breaking in a barrel but you will question what ammo you need to use? Sorry I just find this amusing. There is no statistical evidence you need to use match ammo to break in a barrel and there is no statistical evidence that you even need to break it in at all. The whole process is nothing more than a ploy to sell more ammo and barrels. Shoot it, clean it when your done, shoot it, clean it when your done. Not too hard. :eek:)

I've used both "methods" to break in a barrel...

Used 168's on my bolt-action and 147's on my AR...Was really just what I had lying around to be honest.

In terms of breaking in a barrel, I've heard all of the old wive's tales but, in the end, what you think works, works.

There really is no evidence either way to support, either...I agree w/Danco, just shoot it.

I think all Barrel Break in is BS myself. I really believe no break is probably the best break in.

I have my own routine, not saying it is science, it is just what I do. When barrel is new I thoroughly clean and swab the barrel with Butch's Bore Shine.

After I shoot 5 rounds (with whatever ammo available), I then thoroughly clean and swab the barrel with Butch's Bore Shine. Then after I am done getting the Butch off, I then clean with Sweet's 7.62. The Butch is like Hoppe's but better, gets all the grime and dirt, but Butch does not clean Copper fouling, that is where the Sweet's 7.62 comes in, it picks up all the copper off the barrel.

I myself think you should never clean ALL the copper off the barrel, should always leave some. The residue copper is actually protection from premature barrel wear.

I just broke in 2 more barrels about 2 months ago using this method. Link here: http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...-21-noveske-16-rainiers-arms-pics-inside.html

Last edited:
I think all Barrel Break in is BS myself.

Holy fuck the world is ending!!!!

For once Eric and I agree on something... And several other infamous gunsmiths here think the same. They only put "barrel break-in" instructions with their rifles because if they didn't they'd get daily calls and emails asking "How?" and it just makes the user feel better psychologically.

Holy fuck the world is ending!!!!

For once Eric and I agree on something... And several other infamous gunsmiths here think the same. They only put "barrel break-in" instructions with their rifles because if they didn't they'd get daily calls and emails asking "How?" and it just makes the user feel better psychologically.

No worries. Most sheep's can't evaluate the subject itself, then determine if they agree with it or not. Most sheep's just agree with the the herd or herd leader. Much easier this way, no analysis needed, just agree with the person and not the subject.

Problem with Cartmann is he is not part of a herd, so he will get a lot of trolls that falls for his troll traps =( Cartmann only attacks the subject, and never the person. However if people want to play (personal attacks), Cartmann will be glad to join! =)

I broke in a Armalite SASS according to instructions, just in case it wasn't a shooter they couldn't say it wasn't properly broke in. It's at Armalite right now. I hope it comes back a shooter.

I broke in a Armalite SASS according to instructions, just in case it wasn't a shooter they couldn't say it wasn't properly broke in. It's at Armalite right now. I hope it comes back a shooter.

My SASS had serious issues until I replaced the barrel.

They reamed it incorrectly -- Getting a hold of their CS is worse then pulling teeth -- Gluck with that.

So you don't question the validity of even breaking in a barrel but you will question what ammo you need to use? Sorry I just find this amusing. There is no statistical evidence you need to use match ammo to break in a barrel and there is no statistical evidence that you even need to break it in at all. The whole process is nothing more than a ploy to sell more ammo and barrels. Shoot it, clean it when your done, shoot it, clean it when your done. Not too hard. :eek:)

I was posting the conversation my friend who is a machinist and bench rest shooter and I were having. As I said some believe in it some not, no problem. I drink the grape jucie of seasoning a barrel. Also I do like to follow the instruction manual so if there is an issue for what ever reason I can honestly say I did as the manual stated. I wear a motorcycle helmet when I ride my Harley but don't wear a seat belt twisted world I live in huh.... lol

Last edited:
Never had an Issue with just shooting it and cleaning it... It's more about the shooter than the weapon

I can see why Barrel Manufacturers' require break-in. It buys them time and also makes sure the shooter sends a certain amount of rounds down range before calling in and complaining about group size. From my experience, it seems to take about 300 rounds before the barrel is at it's best. I think when you are breaking in using the Armalite method for SASS barrels (which will take about 6 hours), that just guarantees the barrel is being "smoothed" and properly broken in, and at it's best. If it still sucks, then you call.