• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 / 7.62x51 reloading

55fever

Private
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2023
virginia
I am fairly new to reloading and having trouble finding 7.62x51 reloading die set - I have a 308 reloading die set but it doesn't say anything about using it on the other

what don't I know

Thank you

Theres no difference your good to go, the difference is slight in chamber spec and pressure.
Here you go, tonns more info online just read through till you have a grasp on it.

Last edited:
1681593783310.gif

Theres no difference your good to go, the difference is slight in chamber spec and pressure.
so - just use the 308 reloading die to do the 7.62x51 brass? can do - I haven't checked the brass size differences but will just for my sanity
thank you

The same reason you don't find 5.56 NATO dies. No difference in 223 Rem. / 5.56 NATO or 7.62 NATO & 308 Win. dies.

The outside diameters of the brass are the same.

The same reason you don't find 5.56 NATO dies. No difference in 223 Rem. / 5.56 NATO or 7.62 NATO & 308 Win. dies.

The outside diameters of the brass are the same.
thank you - like I said I am still learning - I understand the old go to's - 30-30, 30-06, 45-70, etc but when they start throwing in the can also shoot with using - that is when I get lost

thank you - like I said I am still learning - I understand the old go to's - 30-30, 30-06, 45-70, etc but when they start throwing in the can also shoot with using - that is when I get lost
also - in looking at reloading - I read where the 7.62 is a thicker brass - that would mean maybe taking off .5 gn of powder or so to compensate for the thicker brass - the article said the same load of powder as a 308 would make it a tad more powerful - ( more of a maximum load) - best way to tell the thickness is to weigh both of them and see if there is any difference

FYI,
The 308 and 7.62 cases are the same case as the cartridge was designed for the M14. It needs to withstand the violent extraction of the cartridge while the barrel is still under pressure without tearing the rim off or separating the case. The big difference in case capacities occurred when Winchester was awarded a contract for Palma ammunition in 1992 (IIRC). They scolloped the base (balloon head) to increase capacity of the brass and the result was about a 2 grain H20 increase in capacity. Winchester brass weighs in at about 165 gr and most other including Lake City and other brass usually weigh in at about 175 to 185 gr

FYI,
The 308 and 7.62 cases are the same case as the cartridge was designed for the M14. It needs to withstand the violent extraction of the cartridge while the barrel is still under pressure without tearing the rim off or separating the case. The big difference in case capacities occurred when Winchester was awarded a contract for Palma ammunition in 1992 (IIRC). They scolloped the base (balloon head) to increase capacity of the brass and the result was about a 2 grain H20 increase in capacity. Winchester brass weighs in at about 165 gr and most other including Lake City and other brass usually weigh in at about 175 to 185 gr
Thank you - for the input - I normally stay to the low side of hand gun ammo loads and will do the same with the rifles

Hello all,
First time here and have been reading the info here and around about loading the 7.62 nato rnd.
I have an M1A and rifle info says .308 chambered. Have shot LC factory ammo in it with no issues. Cool! right?
Just purchased a US Navy Mk2 Mod1 M1 Garand. These were converted by the US Navy (by H&R) back in the mid 60s by installing a new 1965 Springfield Armory (Not SA Inc.) 7.62 chambered barrel. They didn't want to but new M14s.
When I received my rifle and immediately got out my gauges to record all TE, Muzzle wear, and headspace.
I started with a stripped bolt per procedures. The bolt slapped shut on the go gauge. Next the No Go gauge and it also slapped shut. I panicked. And started reading.
Finding out todays MFGR's only Make 7.62 Nato "Min" & "Max" Gauges. (as they do for AR rifles chambered for 5.56 x 45) & that's another story for rifle accuracy's sake- ain't going there.
To Be safe, I understand the "inside case thickness / less capacity" consideration, but am really uneasy about the long chamber. I do understand that the long "USGI chambers" for Nato Cartridges are for a guarantee chambering of all 7.62 Nato mfg'ed Cartridges made and dirty machine-gun chambers.
.308 Win Go gauge is 1.630 & Field reject is 1.6380.
7.62 nato chamber Min. chamber is 1.6355 & Max. is 1.6455 (.0075 longer)
Maybe I shouldn't get all sweaty about this and will still probably get a 7.62 max gauge just to be sure the chamber is under max.
You guy have any opinions??
Thanks for the ears and all comments will be appreciated.

Yes, the government produced 7.62 Garand will swallow a 308 Field gauge.
Using My 7.62 Garand;
Should I only use GI Brass to reload with?.. to stay away from possible case splitting/separation damage, etc.?
And Beings the case dimensions are the same 7.62 GI & .308 Commercial - I'm should be good to go with plain .308 dies??
All this should be good if the chamber of my rifle won't close on the "MAX" gauge?

Yes on GI brass since you are already at the max 7.62 chamber. Like the M14/M1A brass life can be short. Inspect cases for impending separation by using a bent paperclip. You can use the 308 dies and adjust them so you only bump shoulders back about .004" based on some sort of comparator to measure.

Yes on GI brass since you are already at the max 7.62 chamber. Like the M14/M1A brass life can be short. Inspect cases for impending separation by using a bent paperclip. You can use the 308 dies and adjust them so you only bump shoulders back about .004" based on some sort of comparator to measure.
Thanks - I have a headspace case gage.
As I just got this 7.62 Garand Navy rifle, I'll fire some USGI 7.62 ammo and look at the case with the case gauge to see what they stretch to. (maybe my Hornady Compairator will help)
I don't have the 7.62 Max gage yet but will in the near future. Hopefully it won't close on the max!
A while back I acquired a few hundred 7.62 (once fired) cases and on a winter's day, deprimed, cleaned, swaged & resized them all using my .308 Win dies. Luckily my SA Inc m1A is chambered .308 - I also have a .243 & .358 Win bolt guns planning to use some brass for them = turning or reaming the necks. Now a bit more educated on the brass will relegate the commercial .308 brass to their needs I'll watch the powder loads too.
Have been reloading for 50 yrs but in the last few days have learned a lot for you gentlemen!!
Another question just popped into my head. How does NM brass fall into this saga??
Again, thanks for the help