• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 700P lands

jakermeister

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2008
Cortez, CO
Just wanted to know if 2.939 sounds about right to get to the lands. I used a piece of fire formed brass with slits cut in the neck and inserted it into the rifle. The bullet I used was a 175gr Berger VLD (target). Does this sound about right?

Thanks,
Jake

PS I measured twice and they both came pretty close to each other.

Re: 308 700P lands

you didnt have to cut slits. and that seams in the general area youll have to trust your measurments because noone else has your rifle

sounds close to me, mine is about 2.925 with 168 smk's.i didnt cut slits in mine nethier. I just took a fireformed brass and then took a lee collet die just enough to get tension on the bullet so i pull it out with my fingers.

thanks i'll try another without slits. i'm replacing the fire formed brass (R-P) with Lapua
smile.gif

also FYI i was measuring the COAL ( not the O-Give) for the new reloaders. i suspect my measurements are right. the berger o-give is not the same as a SMK.

ok so i went back and tried it again and now i'm getting right about 2.995
shocked.gif
with the berger 175gr VLD ( target ). does this sound right? the first time i tried i only did it twice. i've measured several times to make sure it wasnt another fluke. can anyone else using bergers in a 700p give me some input.

thanks

My 700P-.308, Bolt face to rifling is 2.268 Ogive measurement <span style="font-weight: bold">(NOT OAL), </span>I seat at 2.080 Ogive. jump is .188 long way but it works.

Rem lawyer safety factor for liability.

Don't measure OAL bullet lengths will vary, get an Ogive comparitor tool (Sinclair). Run your seating test and measure with the tool, subtract the jump you want and use the tool to check your seating length. I run 175 SMK's and the bullets vary in length .005 to.015 so OAL is out of the question for accuracy.

(I metplat trim them then sort them by weight and ogive to base length. then shoot them by groups). Ogive to tip is not as important as Ogive to base, case volume to pressure.

Hope this helps.

Unless you measure from the ogive, your never going to get a true value for distance to lands.

At least with an ogive measurement you can use the same number for multiple projectiles.

My 700P has a long throat... annoys me, because Im finding that my 155gr scenars shoot well close to the lands, however that puts me out of magazing length

k. i have a hornady one here but my caliper battery just started to give last night. thanks for the help.

You may not be able to load them in the mag if you're seating Bergers to the lands. I would make sure first if that is important to you.

not important but thanks. mag length is about 2.830 for the 700p. id be nice to have them fit the mag tho.
smile.gif

Just found me measurements guys.

My 700P .308win gives me 2.330 from head to ogive.

on my 155 scenars this = 2.945 total length

I keep a few of these guys handy in case I need a long range shot above 200 yards, otherwise I load to max mag length for hunting.

Its always good to keep a few optimum shooters in the pocket just incase i see a deer on an opposite hill 500 yards away. I have yet to encounter that situation but feel comfortable shooting to that range with the proper gear.

update

i broke down and bought a hornady lock-n-load OAL gauge with there modified 308 win case and came up with 2.327 OAL (o-give) sounds a lot closer to the above posts. the hornady lock-n-load OAL gauge made it extremely easy.
smile.gif

PS this is for the 175 grain berger VLD target bullet

just gotta get reloading and see what these bergers can do. looks like i'll have to find a larger magazine if i don't wanna single load them.

The below was cut and pasted from a thread I started with the same question. Please do not reply here as I don't want to hijack his thread. Click the link if you want to post a comment on my thread. http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1984564&gonew=1#UNREAD

I just bought a NIB Rem 700 SPS and after gathering up all the reloading stuff I checked my chamber with a dummy round (fired case and a 168gr Berger VLD). It measured 3.233! That is way longer than sammi 2.800. I realize most guns are a tad longer than spec but that is almost a 1/2 inch! Has anyone run into this before on these guns. I have shot Federal gold medal match 168 and 175 grain loads at 100 yards and gotten several .3 inch groups with said gun. Any suggestions or should I just not worry about it.

I used 46 grains of BL-C2 and seated the 168 Bergers to 2.850 and they shot a 5 shot, two hole .5 inch group @ 100yds. yesterday. Would just barely fit in magazine.

Thats nice you got them close to mag length. I only got the Target VLD right now but im gunna pick up some hunting ones soon. Both have the same BC.
smile.gif

Don't bullet seaters seat from the ogive? If that's the case then can't you assume (I know... Bad word) once you set the die it will place all bullets in the spot you want? Regardless of COAL?

What I do is find the distance to the lands using the "bullet in a fired case" method, measure the COAL, set the seating die so the bullet seats .020" deeper (using the same size bullet) and call it good. When I seat a different sized bullet the COAL changes but the bullet is seated in the right spot. Right? Or am I missing something?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1000 YDS. IS FUN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My 700P-.308, Bolt face to rifling is 2.268 Ogive measurement <span style="font-weight: bold">(NOT OAL), </span>I seat at 2.080 Ogive. jump is .188 long way but it works.

Rem lawyer safety factor for liability.

Don't measure OAL bullet lengths will vary, get an Ogive comparitor tool (Sinclair). Run your seating test and measure with the tool, subtract the jump you want and use the tool to check your seating length. I run 175 SMK's and the bullets vary in length .005 to.015 so OAL is out of the question for accuracy.

(I metplat trim them then sort them by weight and ogive to base length. then shoot them by groups). Ogive to tip is not as important as Ogive to base, case volume to pressure.

Hope this helps. </div></div>

As some one said earlier, measure from the o-give. I have a hornady one but had to dig it up. I tried the method you mentioned but decided to by the hornady oal gauge. It made it very easy and gave me peace of mind knowing exactly how far i am off the lands.